Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
Pai-Long

Exclamation VALVe! Regional locked games!

Hi! I am very disappointed with Steam right now. It used to be the best gaming platform, but now it is a pain. Why are you hurting your loyal customers? Russia, Commonwealth of Independent States, Baltic countries etc. are all victims.

THE ISSUE

The regional locking is a bad thing for gaming world and here is why.

1. Different versions of the same game

It's becoming a worrying trend. We've seen it with Fallout: New Vegas, some other games and now again with Borderlands 2 and it looks like we'll see it with Black Ops 2 as well. If you buy regionally locked game you can get very different version (they differ by AppID) of the game which leads to several other quite important issues.

2. Forced Russian language

The Borderlands 2 situation was terrible. People who don't even speak Russian were given the Russian only version. This versions has no English language in it, so you are left with a localization, which you may not understand. Mostly this is only for retail copies, like it was with Darksiders 1, but Borderlands 2 was bought from Steam, and nothing were pointing at this terrible "feature". Not to mention that Borderlands 2 RU is sold in many Baltic countries where people barely understand Russian.
*Black Ops 2 will have this as well (confirmed by our distributor), but can't say for now is this only for retail, or the Steam version will do the same trick Borderlands 2 did.

3. Splitting community

Different AppID means that the game is treated like a completely different game in your library. Locked versions usually have an empty library page with no grid images, just grey screen (Borderlands 2 RU, Duke Nukem Forever RU, Dishonored RHCP). In some games (Borderlands 2 RU, Duke Nukem Forever RU, Black Ops 2 RU) you're even forced to play multiplayer with players from your region only and you can't play with your friends from other countries.

4. Bad support for locked games

Usually you get late patches if at all, DLCs or no DLCs (less content) like with Duke Nukem Forever RU (dead multiplayer, less achievements).

Borderlands 2 RU received Mechromancer 3 days after its launch, and the first DLC (October 16 release) will be released only in early November. When a new patch/DLC comes for Skyrim the Russian version becomes broken and unplayable, until a patch for a patch comes out. Darksiders 1 didn't received update which added Steam Cloud support, and never will.

5. Different achievement pages

It's easy to illustrate. Just see the links below:

Darksiders / DarksidersCRP
Fallout: New Vegas / Fallout: New Vegas 1C
Dishonored / Dishonored RHCP
Borderlands 2 / Borderlands 2 RU
Duke Nukem Forever / DNF

6. Can't recommend a game

Well in fact you can recommend it, but since this version doesn't have a store page nobody will see it.

7. Locked games when traveling or relocating

Inability to travel around the world and play your games. You will get an error message and there is no way you can solve this at the moment. You can't upgrade your game's license to worldwide or buy worldwide license of the game.

8. You don't know what you are buying

There is no clear indication in Steam store if the version you are buying regionally locked or a worldwide copy. What's even worse is that publishers allowed themselves to change your pre-ordered copies from normal to region locked like they did at first with Borderlands 2 and XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

9. Terrible price policy for locked games

Some regions get very good prices for locked games, but from the other hand many Baltic countries get RU (region locked) version of the game while paying worldwide prices. This is simply ridiculous.

THE SOLUTION

Basically we want a choice to buy full unrestricted games for the price the rest of the world is offered or get limited region locked version of the game for a reduced price.

1. Clearly show what version of the game we're buying. If it differs from the international copy and has any limitations add it to the title of the game and make it visible everywhere: in store titles, in shopping cart, while trading etc.

2. Find new solution to regionally lock games instead of making different versions of game which leads to many problems(late patches and DLCs, different hubs, divided game community etc.).

3. Give us an option to buy worldwide license of the game and option to upgrade the license from regionally locked to worldwide if we bought retail locked version of the game.
Here are 2 solutions we came up with so far:

First one – Everything works how it works at the moment, but in the cart you are given the ability to chose which version to buy:
Buying worldwide version
Buying local version

Second one – Give us the ability to chose in the Store Page.
Store Page Preview
Sometimes the store is glitching and is showing you two "BUY" buttons, so that's not impossible to do.

General Community Hub, Store and Global Achievements pages but different Subscription, not AppID(!).

*pointed out by F_S_M_~96~, this is already has been done! - the Austrian store page for Black Ops
Image, just in case this will magically disappear

4. The retail keys should be regional locked versions as well. This way you will be able to defeat the flow of cheap copies in the trading section of Steam.

We honestly hope VALVe will listen to us, the community, who likes Steam and hopes they'll improve their service.

If you have any suggestions don't stay silent, but get involved in discussion. Only together we can find a solution to the issue and help VALVe improve Steam and service overall.

Big thanks to Asiris for helping with this list.

Last edited by Pai-Long: 10-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Captain Morti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai-Long View Post
Hi! I am very disappointed with Steam right now. It used to be the best gaming platform, but now it is a pain. Why are you hurting your loyal customers? Ru, CIS, Latvia, etc. are all victims.

Here is my solution: if you want to buy a regional locked game, you can buy it for a local price, but with no ability to gift it. If you want a worldwide version, you can get it for a bigger price with no restrictions at all.

This way you are giving the customers the choice to make, and not changing already bought product right before it's release, thus avoiding gaming scandals.

Note: the images are made in Russian language.
1. Buying worldwide version
2. Buying local version

The retail keys should be local versions as well. And this way you will be able to defeat the flow of cheap copies in the trading section of Steam.

I hope someone from Valve sees this. This needs to be stopped. And you are the only one who can do it! Please!

Valve does not make this (Valve can only do that for their owngames), other publishers decide that.
Captain Morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
Pai-Long

Since Steam is a Store, I think they should talk with publishers about this, to give us choice. Shouldn't be hard.
Pai-Long is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
devilishwonder6

sorry but i dont agree, im all for the region locks as ru people especailly has destoryed the trade business, not too mention taking away profits from game companies, anywhere games are sold cheap need to be restricted or pc gaming will eventually die, AAA titles arent free to make, take for instance slyrim with a budget of 20 million, they need full price just to break even. they arent in business to lose money, they are there to make money. if they cant make it, they will stop
devilishwonder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Pai-Long

devilishwonder6, have you ever read my suggestion? I am trying to prevent flow of cheap copies in the trading business. By having a choice to make with two different versions the people who love cheap copies can buy it only for themselves.
To buy worldwide version you need to pay full price, which is very high. Even with 75%, a 60$ game will be to much for a trader who buys every cheap copies. And since it is on sale anyways, anybody who wants to buy the game will buy it, thus eliminating the need to trade for a ROW version. "Cheap Traders" will die off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishwonder6 View Post
sorry but i dont agree, im all for the region locks as ru people especailly has destoryed the trade business
That's entirely Valve's fault for not foreseeing this, and greedy people who decided to make money this way.

Quote:
not too mention taking away profits from game companies, anywhere games are sold cheap need to be restricted or pc gaming will eventually die, AAA titles arent free to make, take for instance slyrim with a budget of 20 million, they need full price just to break even.
They are taking away profits. Buy locking European countries in ghetto, many people will not buy the game, but will still play it. You know what I'm saying? You can't fight piracy when you are making everything to make it stronger.

Quote:
they arent in business to lose money, they are there to make money. if they cant make it, they will stop
With my suggestion implemented they won't lose money. They will make the same amount, if not more.

I would like to be treated as a paying gamer, not as a some kind of a baddie. And I am more worried about people who don't speak Russian, but are forced to play the game in Russian. You wouldn't like it as well, if you were not from USA.

Edit. Borderlands 2 was trying to be locked in Russian only for people who live in Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, CIS countries, etc. They don't speak Russian. It isn't even official language there. The game bought through Steam for 60$ was locked, how's that?

Black Ops 2 is going to be this as well. Not many know about this yet, but when they will, storm will rain again.

Dishonored RHCP? For 60$? Yes, it doesn't have multiplayer, and it allows you to play in English. But seeing a blank page in you library with "RHCP" mark, having different ID, late patches, no DLC (if there are going to be any, you won't be able to buy them sine "You don't have this game").

And you are all for locking? I pity you.

I know this is just about the game, yet... "As long as a person feels pain - he's alive. As long as a person feels the pain of others - he is human."

Last edited by Pai-Long: 10-14-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
Smile286

"Is good!" © TF2 Heavy.
Smile286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Pai-Long

First post updated.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
tehwolfua

/signed
tehwolfua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
pattongeorrge

Banned
Or you could just buy the game in your region.
pattongeorrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Pai-Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattongeorrge View Post
Or you could just buy the game in your region.
Well, I am buying. But I think what I am buying a normal version of the game and not some rip off. Dishonored from Steam costs 40$, and 20$ from retail. I will get the same product. Why should I pay so much for this? I would gldaly pay 40$ for non-locked version with no restrictions.

Other locked countries pay 60$, but if you search, you can find Dishonored for 12$. No matter where you buy from, you will get RHCP version. Now imagine everyone buying for 12$ instead of 60$. How much Bethesda will lose money? And they did this to themselfs, no one to blame here.

Last edited by Pai-Long: 10-15-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Salamatiqus

Best solution, hands down.
I'm tired of publishers irresponsibility and unreliability.
Salamatiqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
PhYsicS77

Fully agreed with Pai-Long, and I'm not intended to buy region-locked games anymore even if I'm awaiting this game.
PhYsicS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Rebel44

/signed
Rebel44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
pattongeorrge

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai-Long View Post
Well, I am buying. But I think what I am buying a normal version of the game and not some rip off. Dishonored from Steam costs 40$, and 20$ from retail. I will get the same product. Why should I pay so much for this? I would gldaly pay 40$ for non-locked version with no restrictions.

Other locked countries pay 60$, but if you search, you can find Dishonored for 12$. No matter where you buy from, you will get RHCP version. Now imagine everyone buying for 12$ instead of 60$. How much Bethesda will lose money? And they did this to themselfs, no one to blame here.
so why not just buy the 12 or 20 dollar games you are quoting? Nobody is forcing you to buy from steam.
pattongeorrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
markoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morti View Post
Valve does not make this (Valve can only do that for their owngames), other publishers decide that.
Oh, how I'm tired of this bull****.
So you say that publishers of the games like Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Withcer 2 are all different on other DDistr. stores? So why do I can buy games with no restrictions on Amazon, GameStop, GamersGate, GamesPlaner ... etc. Are publishers there different? It's Valves' store here and they rule here.

Quote:
sorry but i dont agree, im all for the region locks as ru people especailly has destoryed the trade business, not too mention taking away profits from game companies, anywhere games are sold cheap need to be restricted or pc gaming will eventually die
Oh common, how do I ruined the gaming industry by paying the FULL same price as you, and still got region restricted game... ?
And what worse - I got a game with language I don't even speak. (Lithuania)

And OP - I agree with you and your solution.
But you see, there's one problem (for these publishers) - some countries (like Baltic states, Ukraine ) still pays full price for restricted game, so there is no difference in price between versions.

Last edited by markoze: 10-15-2012 at 12:16 PM.
markoze is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas