Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Psy-Crow

Arrow Borderlands 2 profile.bin modification toolkit

Borderlands 2 profile.bin modification toolkit: Download link

I've created some shell-glue script to make profile.bin modifications easer. Please read the description below.

==================================================

UPD. John_Dong created his own version of the tool. It's one executable, no batch scripts:

Download | Virus Scan

I thought I should make this just to make things even easier:

This is a little program I made real quick to calculate and append the sha1 hash to the profile.bin or savegame.sav

Compatibility:
  • Xbox 360 Extracted Saves
  • PC saves
  • PC profile.bin's

Note: The save and/or profiles need to be in the same directory as the application!

To run use in command prompt:
Code:
BL2_Rehasher.exe (filename)
or just run from the application.

==================================================

1. What is this?

This is a set of a tools combined with the batch file to allow you hex-edit BL2 profile.bin file. BL2 profile.bin is protected from modification by SHA1 hash (checksum) which is stored in the first 20 bytes of the file. You need to recalculate and update it after editing profile, or BL2 will reject profile and load default settings.

2. How to use this?
  1. Unpack to the folder of your choice.
  2. Put your BL2 profile.bin to "source" folder, hex-edit it with your favorite editor.
  3. Run Rebuild_Profile.cmd either from command-line or by double-clicking it.
  4. Your updated profile.bin is now in "rebuilt" folder.

Also, every time you run Rebuild_Profile.cmd, backup of your profile.bin from "source" folder is created in "backup" folder with random number added after its extension. I.e "profile.bin.5234".

3. Practical usage: BADASS TOKENS

Badass tokens are good unique value, that can be easily located and modified in the profile.bin. Here is detailed step-by-step tutorial:
  1. Launch BL2 and look how much Badass tokens you have. Memorize or write it somewhere. Exit BL2.
  2. Open Windows' Calculator and switch it to the "scientific" mode (or "programmer" in Win7). Enter number of your Badass tokens and click "Hex". It will convert decimal number to hexadecimal, which we will later search in the profile.bin.
  3. Copy your profile.bin from BL2 SaveData folder: c:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\ to the "source" folder of this toolkit.
  4. Open profile.bin with any hex-editor ( this one is free and portable: http://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDen.zip )
  5. Search for Hex-value you converted in Calculator earlier. If you're lucky, there will be only one occurrence of this value. If not, you will have to make more than one try. Don't edit all values at one time, this increases chances that you'll break something and BL2 wouldn’t load your profile.
  6. When you found your Badass tokens value, change it to the any number you like (FF will give you 255). Save profile.bin.
  7. Launch Rebuild_Profile.cmd either from command-line or by double-clicking it.
  8. Copy your updated profile.bin from the "rebuilt" folder to the BL2 SaveData folder, overwrite the original file.
  9. Launch BL2, check your Badass tokens. If BL2 is loading default profile, it means that you probably edited wrong value. Restore from backup and try again.

4. Credits.

Last edited by Psy-Crow: 10-17-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
l4d2hunter

Thank you so much! Just earlier I was looking up how to edit .bin files.

EDIT: All righty, so my badass tokens are 0, and there are tons of 00s out there.
Is there a specific location?

Last edited by l4d2hunter: 10-13-2012 at 07:06 PM.
l4d2hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Psy-Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4d2hunter View Post
Thank you so much! Just earlier I was looking up how to edit .bin files.
You're welcome, hope it works for you. Post your results, I'd like to hear some feedback .
Psy-Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Psy-Crow

Quote:
EDIT: All righty, so my badass tokens are 0, and there are tons of 00s out there.
Is there a specific location?
Oh, you've got a boundary case here . No specific locations, AFAIK. Try somewhere around 0x148, but it not 100% guaranteed. Or just play a little and get some tokens .

Last edited by Psy-Crow: 10-13-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
l4d2hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Crow View Post
Oh, you've got a boundary case here . No specific locations, AFAIK. Try somewhere around 0x148, but it not 100% guaranteed. Or just play a little and get some tokens .
Also, with things like XX XX 00 00, are the two pairs of 0's together, or do they both stand for different things?
I'm not sure how to explain in honestly, so please bare with me.

XX XX = not important, other numbers
l4d2hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Zekiran

I like to earn my badassery.

I would, however, love to be able to toggle into 3rd Person mode. When you've got that figured out, I'll happily download this.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Psy-Crow

Quote:
Also, with things like XX XX 00 00, are the two pairs of 0's together, or do they both stand for different things?
I'm not sure how to explain in honestly, so please bare with me.

XX XX = not important, other numbers
Just to be clear, I didn't reversed profile.bin internal structure, I just merely made a tool to make such research a little bit easier. Bear this in mind .

Considering your question, I suppose that they are different things (mostly), so try to change them separately.

Last edited by Psy-Crow: 10-13-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Psy-Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
Well, same for me. It's just an example.

Quote:
I would, however, love to be able to toggle into 3rd Person mode. When you've got that figured out, I'll happily download this.
Me to, but I've just have started. I hope that the community will join me in this quest.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Latharion

Quote:

Basically, this tool is just a simple script file with a file re-hasher included. The .bin file isn't necessarily "encrypted" as it is simply raw data stored in an SHA1 secured file. Forcing the game to read the willow*.ini files for keyboard commands doesn't even seem to be within the scope of the player.bin file. Interesting little tid-bit though, if you want, you can change your keyboard config using a hex editor and the OP's script (to re-hash the file afterward). The keyboard commands are plainly visible within the file.
Latharion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Zekiran

Yes, I've altered my ini file plenty (and downloading the dlc appeared to re-write it so I had to re-insert the ~ and \ commands), but the issue with 3rd person is that it's *not useable by anyone* because the command isn't written into the files we CAN alter with any ease.

I don't know enough or operate with enough confidence with hex to go in and just fiddle, I'm gonna leave that to anyone with more guts and more experience than me on it.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Latharion

I do see your point. Also I think it was kind of silly of the devs to remove the capability to read the .ini files for basic keyboard commands, 3rd person view, and other non-hack related basic settings stuff. It leaves me scratching my head on that one.
Latharion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Jareef

I had lost all of my badass points about two-thirds through the game. I would be great to gain those points back.
Jareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
Psy-Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareef View Post
I had lost all of my badass points about two-thirds through the game. I would be great to gain those points back.
After a quick glance into the profile.bin, I couldn't find points, only tokens. Maybe points are calculated somehow against other base values, or just stored in non-plain format. As I've said try lurking somewhere around 0x148 to find tokens.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Jareef

I tried using this and all of my badass points were reset. Any advice?
Jareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Zekiran

Never alter files without having first made copies so you can replace them?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands