Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria

Old 10-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Hoodoosteve

Terraria won't start

I've had this problem for a while and every couple of weeks I try going through every guide and walkthrough I can find to fix the problem, but I still can't get Terraria to launch.

I've reinstalled it several times, I've restarted Steam, I've restarted my computer, I've downloaded the latest Microsoft .net framework, I've tried starting it from the start menu, from steam, from the desktop, and "Running as administrator" and I'm pretty much at a loss for what to try next. It used to work just fine and I didn't fiddle with any settings between then and now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Ishan451

Lets start with the obvious question.

Does it give an error message?
Ishan451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Hoodoosteve

It does not.

Starts with the usual "Preparing to launch Terraria" then immediately goes away. Lasts probably less than a second
Hoodoosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Hoodoosteve

Unhappy

anyone? nothing?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
randomanon

Heya,

start a Steam cache diagnostic and let Steam re-download the missing files (if there are any).

Should work like that.

Terraria uses XNA 4 and .net 4, try to uninstall these and reinstall them after a reboot.

If not *boom* your battlestation will explode ;-)

Last edited by randomanon: 10-17-2012 at 12:57 PM.
randomanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
setzway

You probably already tried this but... Check your .Net Framework maybe? I had a friend who had to completely uninstall it then reinstall it. Also what sort of AV do you have? I know Kaspersky tends to mess with some things most time on their initial launch. Try turning off your AV and then running the game and see if that works.
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Ishan451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoosteve View Post
It used to work just fine and I didn't fiddle with any settings between then and now.
You must have done something. Graphic Card update, Reinstalled your Windows, something must have happened.

Since you say you tried redownloading it.

Without an error message and anything to go by, its hard to help. I don't suppose you are familiar with process viewers (not the inbuild one of Windows), in order to log its activity. They can at times tell you why it doesn't start, if they log problems like missing DLL or Drivers.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Explosion998

Ctrl+Alt+Delete or go into Task Manager and check if the Terraria process is running, if it is set the priority to high that usually helps for me if a game doesn't start in a few minutes and that message just disappears.

If there is no process just download it again. I wouldn't know what to do if you that doesn't work.
Explosion998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Hoodoosteve

@randomanon: That was one of the first things I tried. No-go

@setzway: Tried both of those, unfortunately. It made a slight difference when I tried installing Terraria after I removed the .net framework because it downloads the newest version of it, but after that I still can't launch the game

@Explosion998: Tried that first, no process for Terraria.

@Ishan451: This is the only thing I've heard that I haven't tried yet. Can you recommend a safe process viewer that I can download?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Ishan451

Well, i have to be honest, i am not using a freeware solution, but PrcViewer was what got me into the whole thing.

I can't tell you how to work it, and i advice caution, when playing with running processes on your computer.

And other than the name, i am not going to post a link, as it kinda would be advertising

However, maybe you want to check out this article:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...ess-viewer.htm

It seems much more up to date than the "latest" edition of PrcViewer which seems to be 2009.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
setzway

Yeah, that was a good idea Ishan, wish I would'a thought of that at the time.

Speaking of Process viewers, I personally use Process Explorer from Microsoft. It's free and a heck of a lot better than Windows Task Manager. However I too don't know how to fully utilize it. I'm inexperienced with it, so I couldn't really tell you if it is better or worse than Ishan's recommendation.

Here's the link if you want an alternative.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
randomanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by setzway View Post

Speaking of Process viewers, I personally use Process Explorer from Microsoft. It's free and a heck of a lot better than Windows Task Manager. However I too don't know how to fully utilize it. I'm inexperienced with it, so I couldn't really tell you if it is better or worse than Ishan's recommendation.

Simply Awesome this little helper.

Many thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Hoodoosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by setzway View Post

So I got that one and tried using it. I DOES show terraria launching, but then it immediately dies and It's not up long enough for me to see what the problem is. It turns red for half a second, but I can't see what the actual problem is...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
randomanon

Are there leftover files in ...Documents\My Games\terraria?
If so, delete these too, than re-install the game.
There might be a (damaged) config file left with a wrong entry or something like that.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #15
Naughty Nathan

The only other thing I can think of that no-one has yet mentioned is one of permissions. Have you recently changed user or modified any user profile settings? If any of Terrarias files are read-only, or non-right accessible by the current user this can also cause it to bomb-out without warning. There may be nothing wrong with your install or any of the files themselves, just your access rights to them.

I'm not actually sure how you'd go about diagnosing this though..!
Naughty Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria