Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
flarn2006

Banned
Exclamation I'm afraid of accidentally getting VAC banned.

Don't say "don't cheat and you'll have nothing to worry about." I use programs like Cheat Engine a lot, but only in single-player games. (Sometimes it's not even a game at all; I like using it to see how programs work and stuff as well.) However, I've heard that just having Cheat Engine running in the background, even if it's attached to a completely different process (or none at all), can cause you to be VAC banned. I'm afraid that some day I'm going to minimize Cheat Engine, and then hours later forget it's running and connect to a VAC-protected server on some game. VAC will detect that CE is running, and ban me.

I know that there are ways to prevent VAC from detecting anything, but this violates the Steam TOS and can by itself get you VAC banned if it doesn't work. Also it would be more trouble than just checking if I have CE or something running.

Also, what if I quit Cheat Engine, but there's some bug and the window closes but the process doesn't actually exit? Could I get banned then? I have hundreds of dollars worth of games in my Steam account and I'd really hate to lose it all because of some innocent mistake.

Keep in mind that in case it wasn't obvious, I am not VAC banned now.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
DonVino

cheat engine in the background never gave me troubles. As long as it isnt attached to a steam related process you should be fine
Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
p4triot7

don't cheat and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Nick_N

I understand where you are coming from with why you like to use it, but is it worth it if you are worried that it will result in a ban? If you are not willing to risk it, I would recommend uninstalling the program.

Personally I would not risk it, even if I was told that as long as it is not tied to a STEAM process I have nothing to worry about. VAC can be mysterious....

Last edited by Nick_N: 10-21-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Karr-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarn2006 View Post
Don't say "don't cheat and you'll have nothing to worry about." I use programs like Cheat Engine a lot, but only in single-player games. (Sometimes it's not even a game at all; I like using it to see how programs work and stuff as well.) However, I've heard that just having Cheat Engine running in the background, even if it's attached to a completely different process (or none at all), can cause you to be VAC banned. I'm afraid that some day I'm going to minimize Cheat Engine, and then hours later forget it's running and connect to a VAC-protected server on some game. VAC will detect that CE is running, and ban me.

I know that there are ways to prevent VAC from detecting anything, but this violates the Steam TOS and can by itself get you VAC banned if it doesn't work. Also it would be more trouble than just checking if I have CE or something running.

Also, what if I quit Cheat Engine, but there's some bug and the window closes but the process doesn't actually exit? Could I get banned then? I have hundreds of dollars worth of games in my Steam account and I'd really hate to lose it all because of some innocent mistake.

If you are worried about cheat engine not shutting down properly then reboot b4 playing a VAC game.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
durrchet

VAC does not check background processes. I had CE running multiple times.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
Captain Morti

VAC Bans only can be caused when youre connected to a VAC-protected-server. When you shut down Cheat Engine before joining such a Server, everything will be fine.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
wildfire678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karr-Man View Post
If you are worried about cheat engine not shutting down properly then reboot b4 playing a VAC game.
This, you could also consider multiple user accounts (PC not Steam) and use the background as a warning that CE or any other dodgy software is easily accessible.

For instance I don't use such software myself but my administrator account (I usually log in as a limited user for security reasons) has a red desktop which serves to remind me that admin is logged on.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
quickanddead

Quote:

There are various versions of stories,what i heard is that VAC scans the memmory for signatures of cheats,CE included in this,also what this guy said that CE never gave him troubles is me first time hearing of it. Problem is on YOU,there are thousands of warning of what NOT TO DO and people still experiment on their own and come here to complain and as stupid questions,no offense.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
masterchef341

Quote:
I'm afraid that some day I'm going to minimize Cheat Engine, and then hours later forget it's running and connect to a VAC-protected server on some game. VAC will detect that CE is running, and ban me.

I have hundreds of dollars worth of games in my Steam account and I'd really hate to lose it all because of some innocent mistake.
You don't lose all of your games in your account when you are VAC banned. You are simply restricted from accessing VAC secured servers in multiplayer (generally this is a subset of all servers for a game) only for the particular game in which you are VAC banned (except for a few cases where bans occur by engine).

And yes, you should be afraid of getting yourself VAC ban. You are running a memory editing application, and you very well may forget and get yourself banned.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
Mastur Cheef

You won't get banned for having Cheat Engine running in the background on something else. The only way you can get VAC banned is if your actually using Cheat Engine on a Steam game server with VAC.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #12
BurtonJ

Valve
Why take a chance? Simply don't play in VAC servers with application open and you'll never need to worry.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
flarn2006

Banned
For everyone saying to reboot before I join a VAC-protected server, the fact remains that I shouldn't need to go out of my way to avoid being wrongfully blocked from playing the games I paid for online.

As long as I'm following the subscriber agreement and not cheating, Valve has no right to ban me, right?

Also, I never really liked VAC, even though I don't cheat. There's always that risk of a false positive, no matter what Valve says, and what if there's some glitch and I get banned? This article gave me the impression that a simple glitch can result in a VAC ban. Granted, this was a widespread issue and those bans were reversed, but I don't like the idea of something running on my computer that can permanently ban my Steam account for one small mistake, even one that doesn't violate any rules. Granted, it's not a big enough issue for me to stop playing on VAC servers, but I still don't like the idea of it. Personally, I believe the increase in hackers would be worth it to get rid of VAC for everyone, and let server admins do their jobs.

EDIT: I just noticed a Valve employee posted here. What's your take on this? And I'm not going to try it either way because I could get banned for it, but is it still against the rules to attempt to bypass VAC as long as I'm not actually cheating?

Last edited by flarn2006: 10-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
Satoru

Quote:
For everyone saying to reboot before I join a VAC-protected server, the fact remains that I shouldn't need to go out of my way to avoid being wrongfully blocked from playing the games I paid for online.

As long as I'm following the subscriber agreement and not cheating, Valve has no right to ban me, right?
CheatEngine IS A CHEAT PROGRAM

So yes if you run it with TF2 Valve has every right to ban you.

Don't want to get VAC banned, don't run such programs.

YOU'RE the one doing the shady stuff. Don't make this Valve's fault. want to run cheat programs, then you're going to have to 'go out of your way' to not get VAC banned. Period. Don't 'want to go out of your way' don't cheat.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
flarn2006

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
CheatEngine IS A CHEAT PROGRAM

So yes if you run it with TF2 Valve has every right to ban you.

Don't want to get VAC banned, don't run such programs.

YOU'RE the one doing the shady stuff. Don't make this Valve's fault. want to run cheat programs, then you're going to have to 'go out of your way' to not get VAC banned. Period. Don't 'want to go out of your way' don't cheat.
I'm not doing any "shady stuff"; have you even read my original post? I'm not cheating in multiplayer games. That's not the only use for Cheat Engine, and I'm not using it in any way that violates any of Valve's rules. So yes, if I get banned for it, that is Valve's fault. Don't take this as me not liking Valve though.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion