Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod

Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Insanitypoint2

DirectX Problem

When trying to launch Garrys Mod an error message pops up which says "You need to update DirectX - search google for 'DirectX Runtime". I have updated to the latest DirectX and still this error occurs, can anyone help?

PS This error only happens with Garrys Mod, other games boot up fine.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
RivenX

I have this problem as well and it started occurring after I performed a clean install of Windows 8. I thought I would try and upgrade DirectX to correct the problem, but when running the DirectX web setup I am receiving a different error that does not allow me to update DirectX. I then tried reinstalling GMod, but still run into the same issue.

I am starting to think that perhaps GMod puts config settings or something in the "My Documents" or "My Games" folders? Those are the only folders I carried over when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I wonder if there is something that worked in Windows 7 that does not work in Windows 8.

Like the original poster this is only occurring with Gary's Mod. All of my other Steam games have been working without problems, even other Valve games. I also had no issues running Gary's Mod when I was using Windows 7. No hardware changes either when I performed a clean install of Windows 8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by RivenX: 11-01-2012 at 04:46 PM.
RivenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Zekiran

To be fair, *lots of things* don't work the same from 7 to 8, so maybe what you should be doing is looking for fixes for Windows 8's incompatibilities? Have you run the game in a different compat mode?

If you've just installed or are reinstalling an OS you need to remember to manually install EVERYTHING, drivers and all, sometimes things get missed. Try manually reinstalling your video drivers. MANUALLY because Windows won't necessarily find the right drivers, as they must all be "okay'd" by Windows to do it through your OS updater, and a lot of companies don't bother with that any more.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
RivenX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
To be fair, *lots of things* don't work the same from 7 to 8, so maybe what you should be doing is looking for fixes for Windows 8's incompatibilities? Have you run the game in a different compat mode?

If you've just installed or are reinstalling an OS you need to remember to manually install EVERYTHING, drivers and all, sometimes things get missed. Try manually reinstalling your video drivers. MANUALLY because Windows won't necessarily find the right drivers, as they must all be "okay'd" by Windows to do it through your OS updater, and a lot of companies don't bother with that any more.
Thanks for the advice. I did install all of my drivers manually, video card, sound card, etc. after doing a clean install of Windows 8. I will try installing the Nvidia drivers for my video card again since DirectX seems to be the issue, but I am not optimistic that it will solve my problem considering I have about 10-20 other games installed, none of which I had any issues running right after I installed them. Some of those games have dependencies on DirectX and had actually installed the DirectX library files during their installations and those games are not having issues. Just GMod.

EDIT:
The (11/1) update that just got pushed to me just fixed my issues. I can now get back into Gary's Mod. Thanks!

Last edited by RivenX: 11-01-2012 at 07:13 PM.
RivenX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod