Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist

Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
OVERKILL_crew

OVERKILL Software
Do you play PAYDAY on Windows 8? How's it working?

Hello everyone,

I'm curious to hear from you that have WINDOWS 8 and PAYDAY: The Heist installed. How is it working for you guys?

We have a few e-mails about this. One user writes;

Payday seems to have trouble launching in Windows 8. Despite there being no process for Payday, launching it almost invariably results in the error message "Another instance of the application is already running, exiting...".

The process for Payday starts along with this error message and then stops when it closes. As long as the error message is open Steam reports that I'm playing payday. Occasionally, and seemingly randomly, Payday will launch properly.

Restarting Steam, or even my computer, does NOT resolve this. Running Payday in compatibility mode for windows 7 does not resolve this either. Other Steam games do not have this problem. It appears to be unique to Payday.

Have any of you other Windows 8 players experienced any issues? How have you solved them? Have any of you played without any issues? Did it work the first time?

Thanks guys,

Almir
OVERKILL Software
Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
bile

SamusDroid and I were talking about this last night. I doubt that I will be making the move to Windows 8 until long after it has been fixed.

Here is some interesting reading for gamers that are looking to make the jump:

Windows 8 Is Not Good For Gamers
bile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
ComputerTrophy

See my post below.

Last edited by ComputerTrophy: 10-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.
ComputerTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
plivx

well here's a thread for you Overkill_CREW 10 reasons why Windows 8 is a pain for game devs.

And i hope you have luck that the game doesn't have to been written just for Windows 8 such an idiotic OS the baddest there is after Windows Vista(that was really the baddest crap created).

I don't know how they do at Microsoft but each OS that they Make has bigger problems the ones after a good one.

Windows XP -> Windows Vista , Windows 7 -> Windows 8 i don't speak about windows 95, 98 or millenium because they were all equally good.

and they way they've putted those widgets is good for tablets but not for a non-touch screen.

I hope Windows 8 won't do any bad with payday, but several companies have some big problems with games.
plivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Omar - The Wire

It typically doesn't pay to be a new OS Crusader. As fun as it can be to load a new OS in, it's usually best to wait until the 1st, or 2nd, service pack is published and most of the major glitches are ironed out.
Omar - The Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Ori Klein

Not. Touching. Win8. Period.
Same as Vista.
Staying with XP to the bitter end.

I'll mount Ubuntu and play games in WINE if I have to.
Ori Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Forblaze7

Okay, so each time I launch the game I have about a 95% chance of getting an error claiming the game is running. Restarting my computer does not fix this problem and the process is not listed in task manager. I can get around this by accepting invites, joining someone through my friends list, or using the "Launch Game" option off someone else playing Payday. If I launch the game through any of these methods then the game launches in a sort of windowed mode despite fullscreen being checked in options. This is fixed by toggling fullscreen off and back on.

If I launched the game "properly", I have about a 20% chance of my keyboard not working. This is quickly resolved by alt tabbing in and out.

If I launched the game properly then alt tabbing works fine, but if I launch it off of someone on my friends list then alt tabbing forces the game into the pseudo-windowed mode mentioned above. If I alt tab again then the game minimizes and then maximizes (still in the windowed mode). The only way to keep the game minimized is by using the windows key + D shortcut. The only way to fix the pseudo-windowed mode is, again, by toggling the fullscreen option.

The game itself is perfectly playable.

These behaviors are all, as far as I know, unique to Payday.
Forblaze7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
tonyroamer

Using Windows 8 with a brand new computer I built. The game starts, I can look around the menu. Start a heist, screen is black except for HUD. Here's my thread with details and such: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post33181131

In my opinion, Windows 8 isn't too bad. Desktop is still there, just takes a few minutes to get used to navigating. But I really want to play Payday. So I might switch back.

EDIT: Just discovered a possible fix unrelated to OS. I'll try it out later today.

Last edited by tonyroamer: 10-29-2012 at 10:38 AM.
tonyroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Forblaze7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bile View Post
SamusDroid and I were talking about this last night. I doubt that I will be making the move to Windows 8 until long after it has been fixed.

Here is some interesting reading for gamers that are looking to make the jump:

Windows 8 Is Not Good For Gamers
All of these articles usually start talking about the UI. I don't understand how a UI affects gaming whatsoever. The metro interface isn't that bad if you're even remotely computer literate.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
lunamonkey

It works fine, and has done since RTM 2 months ago.

550 ti
Intel i5
8 gb ram
SSD
lunamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Akvalier

But the metro UI can cause conflicts when the game is loaded.
Odd. But yes.
My payday will take 3 minutes til it launches, but no other problems. ( Windows 8; 8GB Ram, AMD Phenom 2 @ 3.9, Nvidia 570GTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forblaze7 View Post
All of these articles usually start talking about the UI. I don't understand how a UI affects gaming whatsoever. The metro interface isn't that bad if you're even remotely computer literate.
Akvalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Omar - The Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori Klein View Post
Staying with XP to the bitter end.
I felt the same, but was finally forced to upgrade to Win 7 with a new laptop... I like it. It's an easy transition and runs as smooth as XP. Definitely not a Vista-esque experience.
Omar - The Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Forblaze7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plivx View Post
seriously why take an OS full of errors and problems
I haven't run into any significant problems with windows 8.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
demonhiei7

There's two things you need to understand about jumping to windows 8.

The os is new but its also very polished for an os. I have no problems as of yet with the os itself.

The problem lies in support, it fully supports the latest and greatest of hardware, it doesn't do 99.9% with the older hardware. That includes games, the games don't use any of the newest software for windows 8, that means drivers, registry and locations. Unless of course Microsoft gave them a copy to test and break the software. For example, my CPU isn't supported for windows 8 yet. My hardware is about three years old.

I'm willing to make the jump if Overkill needs someone to test their windows 8 version of the game working.

Remember technology moves forward, nobody is going to dive to the titanic at the bottom of the ocean in a boat or take an airplane to the moon.

Last edited by demonhiei7: 10-29-2012 at 11:29 AM.
demonhiei7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
aquarius

Micro$oft just sent me an email: "We present Windows 8"

I replied: " you both, you and your windows 8"
aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist