Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls

Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Jassie

How important is Pyromancy?

I killed the butcher lady that was going to eat the Pyromancer guy in the Depths. But dropped down that hole instead of going to him(I thought he was down the hole for some reason).

Instead of going back to him I decided that next time I got to Firelink Shrine I'd just head back to the Depths that way and release him.

I'm still in the Depths and I'm at the first Bonfire I think(One with the undead that holds a torch right outside the hallway to it). Should I go back and release the guy before going any farther? Or is Pyromancy not really a big deal for PvE? I'm going to Blighttown next but I'm not sure how helpful Pyromancy is there.

I will admit it would be my only "ranged" attack that's worthwhile. I think I selected the Warrior class in the creation area(one right under Knight I believe). And my only other ranged attack is a Crossbow which I don't have bolts for and 8 throwing knives.

Edit: I'm also cursed. So if I do backtrack to get him I'll probably try to find a cure for the curse somewhere. I think I read that the moss merchant sells a Purging Stone or something. Not sure though.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Butr0sButr0s

It depends on your playstyle and what kind of character you want to build. Pyromancy can be useful and fireorb/fireball provide fairly large damage if you level up the pyromancy glove. The range is somewhat limited, but it can be helpful against certain enemies.

From where you are at it's pretty easy to get back to the pyromancy trainer, just head straight out the hall from the bonfire, take the first left, and follow the path around. The only dangers you will face are some slimes that drop from the ceiling (just run past) and a second butcher that can be tricky but isn't that dangerous. Just make sure when you get to him you -roll- through the barrels to free him as opposed to attacking them or you may end up hitting the trainer by accident.
Butr0sButr0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Jassie

Went back to save him, got to Firelink Shrine, bought Fireball and Combustion, and then found out I didn't even have any attunement slots xD Farmed for one but the other is gonna take awhile.

I think I heard every 10 points on attunement is an extra slot right? Right now it's taking me almost 4000 souls to level up. And the best farming run I can find is killing all the Baulder(Or whatever) knights by the first bell tower. But that's only 2,000 points a run(I think 3000 if I manage to parry all the knights. But I'm not that good at it). Any suggestions on where to farm souls better? I'm like SL25 with the basic armor(Aside from the Baulder gauntlets), a +6 Longsword, and a decent shield(forget the name. But I have 3 with 100% physical blocking). Any suggestions for that would be great.
Jassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
GTA__

Go back to the asylum, kill the stray demon, use his 20k souls to buy the key from the blacksmith then farm the forest covenant guys. There are better places but for your level I doubt it.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/ increase the attunement rating to see how many slots you get.
GTA__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Jassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA__ View Post
Go back to the asylum, kill the stray demon, use his 20k souls to buy the key from the blacksmith then farm the forest covenant guys. There are better places but for your level I doubt it.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/ increase the attunement rating to see how many slots you get.
Thank you SO much for that link ! That'll be amazingly helpful! I'm also insanely happy that I only need 2 more points on attunement for both my Pyromancy spells!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Just go to Youtube and search for Dark Soul soul farming. A few options should pop up. Another good place to farm them lies in the Painting world. It's quicker than the forest. You either need a Powerful Halberd of some sort or Fire Storm magic.

Normally the Pyromancy is kinda useful on normal mode. Your spells will do quite a bit of damage to bosses and in Tomb of Giants, you can one shot skeletons with a Chaos Fireball that you get by joining a certain covenant.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
windebieste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassie View Post
I'm going to Blighttown next but I'm not sure how helpful Pyromancy is there.
Now, a REAL Pyromancer would just simply raze Blighttown; and burn it to the ground without remorse.

That ramshackled filth bucket craphole should be set alight and incinerated. Burn, Baby! Burn..!

If you could do that, then yes. Pyromancy would be REALLY important.

Oh well... I guess there's a reason why there's a difference between a 'Pyromancer' and a 'Pyromaniac', hey. *sigh...*

Last edited by windebieste: 11-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.
windebieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
rtkufner

Get a fully ascended pyro glove, dusk crown, bellowing dragoncrest ring. Get your Dex to 45, your Endurance to 40, your Attunement to 23. Stack all Great Combustions, Black Flames and Combustions you can get your hands on. Get your poise up and a shield with good stability.

You, my good sir, are now unstoppable.

O&S? For this one, you won't even need poise. Four Kings? Toast material. Having trouble with backstab spamming invaders? Use those 45 dex to combo kick + great combustion.

If you're fighting a fire-resistant boss just use Power Within, a +15 Ricard's and Gold Pine (if you're a dex build. if you're not but have those 45 dex this is fine as well. just spam that R2.), a BK GAxe (if you're a str build) or the best fitting +15 to your stats + your best weapon buff (if magic or faith build).

I have found Pyromancy to be consistently overuseful (almost overpowered actually) AT LEAST until NG+++.

It's not fundamental or anything, but it can be a MAJOR tool, especially for new players. It can work as a failsafe, in case you get your stats all screwed up. Just make sure you have that pyro glove enhanced to +10 before you go down into Blighttown.

Last edited by rtkufner: 11-05-2012 at 07:05 PM.
rtkufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Jassie

I'm already in Blighttown :O Don't know how to upgrade the glove anyway. Don't really think I'll need it now. Took the advice of going back to the Asylum to try to kill the Stray Demon. And while I failed at that due to still being Cursed. I did get a Black Knight Sword. So the game is pretty much easy mode now xD

Also. Random thought. The Gaping Dragon is to damned easy. I stayed behind it most of the time, and I know it has the sweeping tail attack, but it only used it once.. While I was out of range. Just food for thought I guess.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
LegendaryMentle

Quote:
I'm already in Blighttown :O Don't know how to upgrade the glove anyway. Don't really think I'll need it now. Took the advice of going back to the Asylum to try to kill the Stray Demon. And while I failed at that due to still being Cursed. I did get a Black Knight Sword. So the game is pretty much easy mode now xD

Also. Random thought. The Gaping Dragon is to damned easy. I stayed behind it most of the time, and I know it has the sweeping tail attack, but it only used it once.. While I was out of range. Just food for thought I guess.
Go to the Pyromancer you gotta free.There you can upgrade it to +15 and later upgrade it at Quelaana in Blighttown again.
LegendaryMentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Xaechireon

I think pyromancy is pretty handy in Blighttown, just don't rely on it against the boss. Unless you're using Flash Sweat.

If you're looking to expand your ranged options outside of pyromancy, crossbow bolts and throwing knives aren't particularly expensive. A warrior's base stats also allow him to use short bows/composite bows. Firebombs were invaluable in the early stages, not sure whether you will still need them.

Some bosses' souls can be used to forge unique weapons. A few of these weapons have a heavy attack which shoots a ranged attack while consuming some of the item's durability. If you don't mind spoilers, I can elaborate more on this.
Xaechireon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
Jassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaechireon View Post
I think pyromancy is pretty handy in Blighttown, just don't rely on it against the boss. Unless you're using Flash Sweat.

If you're looking to expand your ranged options outside of pyromancy, crossbow bolts and throwing knives aren't particularly expensive. A warrior's base stats also allow him to use short bows/composite bows. Firebombs were invaluable in the early stages, not sure whether you will still need them.

Some bosses' souls can be used to forge unique weapons. A few of these weapons have a heavy attack which shoots a ranged attack while consuming some of the item's durability. If you don't mind spoilers, I can elaborate more on this.
I've been reading the wiki about some of those weapons :P On my next playthough I'm gonna explore some of those.

Strangely enough though. I'm at Sen's Fortress now and have yet to find any actual ranged weapon other than a Light Crossbow and Heavy Crossbow. I should probably fix that honestly.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
Voodoomoodoo

Hello guys.
I am playing Dark Souls for only one month. When i started i decided to make a dex-int charakter. At this moment i have 5 attunement slots, few magic casts (the first soul arrow, heavy soul arrow (8 charges) and one more soul arrow (which has 20 charges - dont remember name correctly).
My question is: is magic as good as pyro? I noticed many ppl are using pyro instead of magic, many invaders, many youtube guides show me pyromancy heroes. I like using Hidden Body + Aural Decoy and then backstab monsters or just becoming more time to range(or magic) attacks
I am near 50-55 Soul level and hope to get some assistance from professionals
Do i need to upgrade my sorcery staves like pyromancy gloves?
How does Magic weapon and Magic shield work? What exactly do they increase and how much time does effect last on me? For me, using Magic weapon is dumb, coz I need to equip both - weapon and catalyst (so no shield). Am i missing something?
Voodoomoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
Jassie

To answer the "Is Magic as good as Pyro" question.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. The reason being is that no matter what build you're going for. The option for Pyromancy is always there really. Just throw some points on Attunement and you're good to go. The Glove is easily upgraded if you don't mind farming Souls as well. So that's one reason why almost every YouTuber will be using it a lot.

As far as Sorcery and Miracles go. You have to direct your character down that path if you want to use any good ones. And as far as I know they can be VERY powerful(Just as powerful as any other builds in their own rights). But the appeal of Pyromancy with a big beefy weapon like the Black Knight Sword is to good to me to justify taking my character in that direction :P

That's just my opinion though. A Faith + Pyromancy build or Sorcery + Pyromancy build is probably bad as well. I may do that on my next character.

As for upgrading your Catalysts. I'm not sure exactly what the upgrades do since they aren't physical weapons. But I'd imagine they still increase the damage of your spells. So yes you'll want to upgrade them just like the Pyromancy Flame.

And I'm not sure of the exact buffs of Magic Weapon and Magic Shield. Not sure if they give your equipment regular damage buffs or magic damage buffs. You would probably have to look on the Wiki for that information :P

Also I'm still new to the game myself. So I could VERY easily be wrong on any of this xD
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
MohoMine

Quote:
To answer the "Is Magic as good as Pyro" question.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no.
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes - if you're playing a mage.

The biggest advantage of Pyromancy is that any build can use it. The spells have no stat requirements, damage is tied to an item rather than INT/WIS, and you can get it early in the game no matter your starting class or gifts.

Hovewer, because of this, Pyromancy also has some important limitations.

First of all, it's very slot intensive. Pyromancy spells have very few uses compared to Sorcery - for example Fireball has 8 uses per slot, while Soul Arrow has 30. This makes Pyromancy unviable as a primary combat style - you simply will never have enough slots to go through levels using only(or mostly) Pyromancy.

Second of all, it has very limited range. All Pyromancy spells have puny range that almost always means you have to put yourself in harm's way to deal damage, and you can forget about trying to pull or snipe enemies with it.

Third of all, Pyromancy is all fire damage - obviously. There are several enemies in the game that are naturally resistant to fire and Pyromancy won't work very well against them.

Finally, almost all Pyromancy spells are damage dealers, with few (un)notable exceptions. Sorcery gives you access to some really useful self-buffs.

Quote:
And I'm not sure of the exact buffs of Magic Weapon and Magic Shield.
Greater Magic Weapon(no one really uses the normal Magic Weapon) adds extra 1.1x Magic Adjustment magic damage to your right hand weapon. So if you have Magic Adjustment of 100 and you cast Greater Magic Weapon, your right hand weapon gains extra 110 magic damage on top of whatever damage it normally does. With a fast weapon and good Magic Adjustment it can really boost your DPS.
MohoMine is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls