Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod

Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Chaddy96

Garrys Mod Startup Crash

As soon as I get to the main menu the game crashes but it was just working fine a day ago. I already verified game cache and that didn't work.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Chaddy96

Can Anyone help? I really have no idea what's going on....
Chaddy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Confuzion

You're not giving us a lot of information.

Is is saying that "HL2.exe has stopped working"?

Are you on Windows 8?

If you said yes to both of the above, navigate to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\your username\garrysmod.

In that folder, right click hl2.exe and click properties. Under the compatibility tab, check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode" and change it to Windows 7 or Windows XP SP3.
Confuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Chaos21

It just started happening to me too, at firs the servers weren't showing up so i kept resetting to try to get it to work. Now, it just crashes on startup. What's wrong with this, I was playing late last night, so why is it messed up now?
Chaos21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
PlayItPro

Same problem, but I don't even get to the menu. It gives me the loading screen at startup, and crashes in seconds. "hl2.exe has stopped working," Windows 7, TF2 works fine.
PlayItPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Zekiran

Is TF2 your only other Source game?

Steam may need to update your files for that game, or others, you might have to set up your virus / firewall exceptions again, etc. There are plenty of reasons, but without knowing if you've got other actual Source games on your drive and installed on that account, no idea how to help you.

Basic options include verify your files for ALL your installed Source games. Right click the game icon in your Steam library, click Properties, Game Files, and then Verify. Do this for each including Gmod. RESTART STEAM.

Make sure your video card and other hardware drivers are all manually updated.

Make sure you're not trying to run the G13 BETA, instead of the full release updated game.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Failstar

Multiple Users Reporting this to me

Game crashes immediately at startup. Specifically the file hl2.exe crashes. Half Life 2 does not crash. Other source games do not crash.

Game worked fine until today, assuming this is from some sort of update that has broken this.

- Windows 7 Professional
- All Drivers Updated
- Verified Game Cache of both Garry's Mod and HL2
- Reinstall did not fix

This is not my PC, this is multiple users on multiple PCs, an update has broken something and this needs to be corrected.
Failstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Reeefo

happened to my friend and i today
Reeefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
MBG141

It's happening to everyone that plays Garry's Mod 13 on Windows XP/Vista/7/8. The main cause of the startup crash every Windows user is suffering is the latest GMod update that came out roughly 3 hours ago. This update was supposed to fix a GMod crash for Linux and OSX users, but it ended up making the crash occur for Windows users.

I'm suffering the same problem, I'm running on a Win7 x64 OS desktop computer. Only Garry's Mod crashes upon startup, already tried reinstalling it and it doesn't fix the crashing. But I am able to play other games such as TF2, HL2, Portal 2, etc. I'm sure that other Windows users are suffering the same situation as me.

Just wait, hopefully Valve and Garry has realized that there's a massive problem with the newest update that came out roughly 3 hours ago due to a sharp decrease of people playing Garry's Mod. Let's just hope that a fix comes out soon within a few hours. Until then, just wait and play other games rather than Garry's Mod.
MBG141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Peex

Like the guy above me said, the latest update broke the game for a lot of people. Facepunch forums are flooded with people having the same problem. Garry himself is sleeping now so we can basically forget about playing gmod until an update is released, which will probably take 12-36 hrs.
Peex is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod