Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Anthony45654

Exclamation Fix for key activation and GFWL has been found (GTA IV and GTA EFLC)

This method was found by user dririan, I'm not entirely sure if he was the first one to find the fix but I got this method from him. Anyway, it worked perfectly for me and now both games are activated and are working 100%. I live in Canada so I can confirm this method works for those that live in Canada, as well as the US. As for other countries, I'm not entirely sure but you should give it a try anyway.

I also included screenshots of the different steps (except step 7 since I already got my game activated) for those of you that understand better visually.
  1. Go to https://live.xbox.com/en-US/RedeemCode, sign in with your Microsoft account if you're not signed in, and paste the key that Steam gives you. Once it is successfully redeemed, there is nothing left to do on the website, so you can exit it. Picture for Step 1: http://i.imgur.com/ZZsp9.png
  2. Open "Games for Windows Marketplace" (the PC client, NOT the website; you can download it here) and sign into the same Microsoft account. Pictures for Step 2: http://i.imgur.com/It6A6.png and http://i.imgur.com/InTtb.png
  3. Go to the Downloads tab. Picture for Steps 3-6: http://i.imgur.com/w8fVT.png
  4. Find "Game: GTA IV: EFLC" (or GTA IV PC) in the list and click it.
  5. Click "View Game Keys".
  6. Copy the "Game Activation Key" to your clipboard or write it down.
  7. Launch GTA IV from your Steam library, when it asks for you to sign in and paste your activation key, put in the one you got from the Games for Windows Marketplace client, NOT the one that you got from Steam.

If it isn't working for you or if you have any questions, just let me know and I'll try my best to help you.

P.S. The following only applies for those that purchased the Complete Edition (GTA IV + EFLC: You won't be able to access the EFLC games from the GTA IV menu, you will have to launch the GTA IV: ELFC game from your Steam library.

P.P.S. As far as I know, you shouldn't have to activate EFLC because I'm able to play it from my Steam library without having to paste any activation keys. It might be different for some of you, I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited by Anthony45654: 11-15-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
PrebenNO

This works! You sir have a cookie for sharing this
PrebenNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Cl1mh4224rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45654 View Post
2. Open "Games for Windows Marketplace" (the PC client, NOT the website; you can download it here) and sign into the same Microsoft account. Pictures for Step 2: http://i.imgur.com/It6A6.png and http://i.imgur.com/InTtb.png
I have a friend who was able to get the activation key through the website. I didn't try it myself, but it might be worth it for anyone who doesn't feel like downloading and installing an updated version of the Marketplace application. (You've been through enough BS with this game already. Heh.)
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
dririan

Quote:
I live in Canada so I can confirm this method works for those that live in Canada, as well as the US. As for other countries, I'm not entirely sure but you should give it a try anyway.
Glad to hear that it works for you! It's been confirmed to work in Canada and the US, but it has also been confirmed not to work elsewhere, namely the EU. So far, users from the UK, Germany, and Russia have all mentioned that it did not work for them. Seems the key is a North American one.

Quote:
The following only applies for those that purchased the Complete Edition (GTA IV + EFLC: You won't be able to access the EFLC games from the GTA IV menu, you will have to launch the GTA IV: ELFC game from your Steam library.
That's odd. I have the complete edition as well, and when I launch GTA IV I get the choice to play GTA IV or GTA:EfLC, and if I choose EfLC then I get a choice of TLaD or TBoGT. I know that I do have to have both installed, though.

PS: Thank you for giving me credit. I doubt that I was the first one to find it, but I know I was the first one to post it on the Steam forums (because I was searching for a fix here before trying a few things on my own, one of which happened to work ).

Last edited by dririan: 11-12-2012 at 01:37 PM.
dririan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
dririan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
I have a friend who was able to get the activation key through the website. I didn't try it myself, but it might be worth it for anyone who doesn't feel like downloading and installing an updated version of the Marketplace application. (You've been through enough BS with this game already. Heh.)
Do you know how your friend did it? I'm poking around on the website, and I can't seem to find it. I'd love to update my instructions in the original thread to avoid the crappy (and deprecated it seems) Marketplace client if possible.
dririan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Cl1mh4224rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dririan View Post
Do you know how your friend did it? I'm poking around on the website, and I can't seem to find it. I'd love to update my instructions in the original thread to avoid the crappy (and deprecated it seems) Marketplace client if possible.

I don't know off-hand. I had already gone through the steps above before he told me he used the site. I'll see what I can find, and/or ask him the next time I talk to him.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Anthony45654

Bump.
For those that are still unaware of this fix.
Anthony45654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
AznBoiZ

Damn it said enter a valid code...THIS IS THE CODE STEAM GAVE ME :/

Last edited by AznBoiZ: 11-29-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Edit: I don't know if this made a different, but I already started the game (it crashes, duh) and already signed into SC
AznBoiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
lichtenberg073

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBoiZ View Post
Damn it said enter a valid code...THIS IS THE CODE STEAM GAVE ME :/
I'm having this same problem. I can't believe the number of hoops the you have to jump through to play this game.
lichtenberg073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
w0rshi

Valve should put a warning in gta's store page. The code you get from us...
w0rshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
ZarakiKenpachi

Yes, I too am having this problem. Windows live won't accept the code.

It seems as though they had this problem before, in another sale, they said they fixed it, now it has happened again.

See that's why markets have to be heavily regulated and bureaucrats needed to tick boxes etc so that companies cannot release crap like this and instead have to accept smaller margins because they would be forced to pay for extra labour to TEST their products properly before release.
ZarakiKenpachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Colon Blow

I"m having this problem too. Now I can't play GTAIV OR Max Payne 3. Two games I paid for.
Colon Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #13
joshdigit

Did not help. Error: Please enter a valid code. Creating the new US account didn't help too
joshdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
MARKdAREALONE

Same error as the code is invalid.
MARKdAREALONE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series