Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Pyro

Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Pablocp0

Pyro is OP or just annoying?

So, I was checking some threads and some comments in youtube of people saying that the pyro is too op because he can get fast kills with degreaser and axtinguisher.

I dont think that pyro is OP since you have to know how to play it to make that combination work, besides is not that easy to get close enough to your enemies without being killed first.

I always say that the pyro is just annoying, but not OP, you are not a "noob" for playing pyro like some players say, but I dont know...

So what do you think? Is pyro really OP and needs a nerf or its fine the way it is, and these people need to learn to deal with pyros?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Backdraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablocp0 View Post
So, I was checking some threads and some comments in youtube of people saying that the pyro is too op because he can get fast kills with degreaser and axtinguisher.
So a 500dps machine that can shred everything remotely close to you is fine, but a combo attack that only works in airblast range and that can be avoided by most classes is OP.

Some people
Backdraft. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
20 Sentry Fox

I like how some people call something overpowered without comparing it to the rest of the game.

Some facts:

Pyro's lethal range is whopping 260 Hammer Units long [fire particle/airblast range]. For scale comparison, a Sentrygun has a range of 1100 Hammer Units.
Pyro is the most range restricted class in the game save Spy.

The only classes in the game that can't run at least as fast as the Pyro are Soldier who has rocketjumps to compensate, Demoman who has stickyjumps/shield charges to compensate and Heavy.
Pyro is the least mobile class in the game save Heavy.

Hitting every single flame particle at point blank, a Flamethrower can do 153,5 damage/sec. For comparison, at the same range the Spy's Revolver does 163,4 damage/sec.
Pyro has the least primary firepower in the game save Medic.

At melee range Degreaser + Axtinguisher can do 200 damage within 0,6 seconds. For comparison, Scout Scattergun meatshots or direct hits with the Demoman's Grenade Launcher do the same damage within the same timespan while not being restricted to melee range, not occupying 2 loadout slots and coming as trade-off free stock items.
The Degreaser + Axtinguisher combo does melee ranged burst damage comparable to what other classes can produce.

Whether not you find the Pyro's movement control/damage over time/combo based nature annoying is up to you, but it's pretty safe to say that he is not overpowered.
20 Sentry Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
SleightSoda

Like you said, the Spy's revolver does better DPS than the flamethrower, which means that the Spy isn't the most range limited class.
SleightSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
20 Sentry Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleightSoda View Post
Like you said, the Spy's revolver does better DPS than the flamethrower, which means that the Spy isn't the most range limited class.
Damn.
20 Sentry Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Darkmaster53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleightSoda View Post
Probably referenceing backstab
Darkmaster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Blue Warrior

Quote:

I dont think that pyro is OP since you have to know how to play it to make that combination work, besides is not that easy to get close enough to your enemies without being killed first.

I always say that the pyro is just annoying, but not OP, you are not a "noob" for playing pyro like some players say, but I dont know...

So what do you think? Is pyro really OP and needs a nerf or its fine the way it is, and these people need to learn to deal with pyros?
Preaching to the choir, buddy. Most of the people here are of the opinion that the pyro is fine (or mildly underpowered even).
Blue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Spud-man

Quote:
Typical newbie TF2 playe nothing more...
Though sometimes it is fun to give those facts as mentioned above why it is not OP and see how they response.
Spud-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
Indivicivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Sentry Fox View Post
Damn.
The only reason the revolver does better "dps" in those stats is because it's burst damage. If we look at raw DPS, the revolver does less than the syringe gun at all ranges.
Indivicivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
Nadrac

He is overpowered !!! I knew it all along ! I thought upgrades the only thing that was keeping us barely alive.
Nadrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
Charro

Pyro is OP in low level pubs

Word
Charro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Love Macro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charro View Post
Pyro is OP in low level pubs

Word
Exactly. among very low level players he's the easiest to do "okay" with, but he's much less useful for anything bar support at higher levels.
Love Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Ragaror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charro View Post
Everything is OP in low level pubs
Word.
Ragaror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Charro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragaror View Post
Word.
Unless a bad scout knows how to aim and dodge, he would be worthless (and if he do that, he wouldn't be bad anymore, but decent at least, I'm talking about bad player vs bad player here)

a bad sniper can't do anything against anyone either, same for spy

Last time I played on Skial, I went stock pyro with 250+ ping, and literally every round I scored around 100 points per match, dying only against mini-sentries (all koth maps), I couldn't reflect for with that ping, and I wanted to see how bad they were so I didn't even bother using the Flare gun either. It was awful, walkaway bots play better than those guys, you can probably get a hale's own flamethrower in 5 days in those servers.
Charro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
RognarB

Pyro is OP because he/she/it killed me.

Nurfnaokthx
RognarB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Pyro