Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
dingdynasty

verify integrity of game cache

I verify at least once a day sometimes more depending on what I've been working on. For about the last 2 weeks or so I get the same thing, 33 files. It's always 33 files, not 32, not 34, 33 every time. Has anyone else come across this or know why?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
garethjohn79

I verify once a week I had a similar number last time but have had up to 400.
I have at times verified immediately afterwards until it says Zero. Is this necessary or a waste of my time.
garethjohn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
dingdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethjohn79 View Post
I verify once a week I had a similar number last time but have had up to 400.
I have at times verified immediately afterwards until it says Zero. Is this necessary or a waste of my time.
I don't remember for sure but I think my highest was about 150. I've verified twice in a row several times but the second one has always been 100%.
dingdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Ericmopar

I used to verify frequently and always about 33 files. Then I sat back for a few weeks and it said 156 didn't verify... It didn't help my problem anyways and I had to reinstall my favorite couplers and horn.
It made me really frustrated early when I first discovered this RW oddity. I thought a new drive had gone bad. Banging head on wall... Banging head on wall... LOL.
Ericmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
bwfer

A few months ago, TS2012 era, I had 1748 files that were bad. The only time I verify the cache is if I have problems/issues or screw up something that can't be retrieved from my backups. I last verified the cache on 9/22/2012.
bwfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
foitybill

I recently did a purge of freeware repaints, UKTS freepacks, scenarios. After this I did a verify and had over 800 files missing. I don't do this regularly as it takes too much time to do.
foitybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
hodderd

Last week I had 1004 that were bad!!! How do they get corrupted?
hodderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Peter749

A silly thought.

When we clear the Blueprint Cache and do a verfy does the system realise these files are missing and replaces them?

I do a verify about once a month but only if I start having problems -

otherwise "If it's not broke - don't fix it"

As my brother-in-law likes to say.

Peter
Peter749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
dingdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodderd View Post
Last week I had 1004 that were bad!!! How do they get corrupted?
That's a good question.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
rom6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdynasty View Post
That's a good question.
It has been cut from RSC's "The official Train Simulator 2013 discussion thread" found there http://steamcommunity.com/app/24010/...5239618941726/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Simulator View Post
Hello Budge4
The high nose issue has been brought up to us before and we believe this may be a caching issue, have you cleared and verified you cache?
It seems the Steam in charge about that mystery on users' side, not them.
rom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
michbret

I noticed that a workshop is producing this effect.

Very easy to experiment:
Verify the game cache again and again up to the point that all the files are OK

Subscribe and install a new workshop scenario and launch it (no need to play the scenario up to the end). Remember the route used by the scenario !

Exit the game and verify the game cache again! Surprise ! around 30 files failed and are downloaded !

Look in the railworks folder to find out what was downloaded (use search per date feature of windows explorer). You will find out that all the scenario in the route used by the workshop scenario are updated (usually 2 files per scenario the .xml and .md5).

So if you use the workshop, you are likely to have failure when verifying the game cache (false failure for my opinion)
michbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Ericmopar

Now see, I have had this file issue since long before I discovered freeware etc for Railworks. I had this issue when I just had the core Train Simulator 2012 retail version and one add-on pack (SD75).

It's gotten worse lately, but I don't know if its adding 2013, the basic version and/or the core update.

My main complaint is Sherman Hill. The route and scenarios all ran great when new, except a couple of minor issues. Those issues were and still are, the spontaneous uncoupling, the horn on the ES44, and some areas where track super elevation ends abruptly in curves, all of which are easy as sin to fix.
I've noticed that my fixes were recently unfixed by patches for who knows what in SH, which means they must have downloaded almost the whole route again. None of that data fixed the existing problems though. (all fixes except my ES44's horn that is)
New problems in SH are lower FPS in scenarios that used to run great. Those scenarios are crippling the GPU somehow on my GTX 560. I haven't changed my graphics settings in weeks, except to turn off and on the V-Sync.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
peterhayes

I think that the way "verifying the cache" works is by using some "checksum' method and if that value has changed then the verification will re install the file that to it is correct. So you would expect some scenarios/routes etc to alter certain TS2013 files when they run but that in itself is not a major issue. For example any of the AP sound files change files within TS2013 without causing any problems.

I've always thought that telling someone to verify the cache is akin to telling them to reinstall Windows (largely unnecessary and the latter would probably be faster!) IMHO the only reason for a cache verification is if you see a major issue at startup or you experience ongoing ingame crashes. I now only do a cache verification if I have a persistent error or SBHH errors otherwise I leave well alone. I also wonder how many simmers are using cache verification correctly because between each verification you should be closing down steam (I use a re-boot) prior to carrying out the next verification,. Otherwise you may not re-verify all of the "corrupt" files.

You also have to bear in mind that cache validation of files is not itself without issues, so if it 'ain't broke don't fix it' seems to be appropriate.

However, I do clear the usedtobecalled "blueprint cache", ie all the .pak files in the Assets folder, before I start TS2013 and whenever I change scenarios or route during a session and that helps with loading, etc.
pH
peterhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
dingdynasty

Michbret might have hit on something here, at least in my case. I've been in the Workshop 99.9% of time over the last month trying to get one of my fairly complex senarios to work. I was having problems with it working sometimes and then not working with out changing anything. I finally started verifing each time and clearing the cache. The senario would work perfect for one time. If I tried to run the same senario again it would fail every additional time unless I verified and cleared. I have no idea why but each time I verified I got 32 files, I said 33 in the original post but I was one off.
I finally got my loco and a combination of AI's to work fairly close to my original idea. Now I can play the same senario over and over without crashing, but if I go to verify I get 32 files missing every time.
Like I said, I have no idea what's causing it but I'm ok without ever knowing as long as my senario works.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
Ericmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdynasty View Post
Michbret might have hit on something here, at least in my case. I've been in the Workshop 99.9% of time over the last month trying to get one of my fairly complex senarios to work. I was having problems with it working sometimes and then not working with out changing anything. I finally started verifing each time and clearing the cache. The senario would work perfect for one time. If I tried to run the same senario again it would fail every additional time unless I verified and cleared. I have no idea why but each time I verified I got 32 files, I said 33 in the original post but I was one off.
I finally got my loco and a combination of AI's to work fairly close to my original idea. Now I can play the same senario over and over without crashing, but if I go to verify I get 32 files missing every time.
Like I said, I have no idea what's causing it but I'm ok without ever knowing as long as my senario works.
It seems to me, that one of the British career system scenarios is like that. Verify or reinstall and it works fine once, then after that, poof! cannot load tracks.bin. If I remember correctly it's the Duff Coal career scenario.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks