Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darksiders

Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
gordonfreeman1_

Darksiders save modification guide (fixes "Corrupted Data")

This guide is for Darksiders 1 but should also work with Darksiders 2 if both games share the same format for the start of the file. A Darksiders 2 possible fix link is in the appendix at the end of the post.

Darksiders saves store some information specific to the user creating them, such as the Steam ID and possibly path so using a save from someone else/another PC needs some modifications to be done to prevent the "Corrupted content" error message from showing up in the Data menu when loading them. The steps to get saves to work are:

Instructions:
1. Get a hex editor
Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org) can do this using the Hex editor plug-in that can be installed by:
a) In Plugins->Plugin manager->Show Plugin manager click on "Settings" and tick "Show unstable plugins" then OK.
b) In the list tick Hex editor and install it, that's done. To view in hex go to Plugins->HEX-Editor->View in Hex or click on the H button in the toolbar that the plugin installs.

NOTE: This guide uses Notepad++ with the Hex editor plugin for the steps.

2. Launch the game and save once. We shall call this save new save.

3. Open the new save using the hex editor. The save is stored at:
C:\Users\(Username)\Documents\My Games\Darksiders\(SteamID)

4. Open the other save you want to use with your game in the hex editor. We shall call this save other save.

5. In the Dump section for NEW SAVE, higlight all the text before BOD starting with the line with address 00000020 (view in 8-bit via right click menu if you don't see this), then right-click copy. For example if the line upto BOD looks like this:
.k¾49BOD

Then highlight and copy this:
.k¾49

6. In the Dump section for other save, highlight the same section as that in step 5 but this time right-click and paste. You may need to have both files open at the same time in Notepad++ for the paste to work. Save the modified other save. Repeat this step on all other saves you wish to use, this is the data that needs updating.

7. Replace the new save with the other save(s) in the location specified in 3.

8. Start the game, load and enjoy!

Note:

If the method above still shows the save as being corrupted do the following:

(Steps 1-4 same as above)

5. In the Dump section for new save, higlight all the text after DSAV and before BOD, then right-click copy.

6. In the Dump section for other save, higlight all the text after DSAV and before BOD, then right-click paste. You need to have both files open at the same time in Notepad++ for the paste to work. Save the modified other save. Repeat this step on all other saves you wish to use, this data is what needs updating.

7. Replace the new save with the other save(s) in the location specified in 3.

8. Start the game, in the data screen you will notice that the save slots are not corrupted anymore but have the incorrect orb count and playtime noted, we shall fix this by loading the saves one by one and saving again, overwriting the previous version of the save with the correct counts. You can ignore this and play though as the save loads correctly with all game data correct and you can proceed and save at leisure. Repeat for any other saves you have modified.

9. Enjoy!

Appendix:
Some information obtained from: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2139422

Darksiders 2 save fix info:http://redscorpyon.blogspot.com/2012...ksiders-2.html
Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Xbob42

Just wanted to thank you for posting this. Fixed my corrupted saves, all of them! I can't believe the fix is so simple, why exactly does this work? Why doesn't the game have something internally to fix this simple line of code?

(For the record, copying and pasting didn't work for me, I had to change the hex values myself, which was super simple.)
Xbob42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
aralgs

i cant find bod
aralgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
Lisek

@gordonfreeman1_ thx dude, very helpful guide.
Lisek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darksiders