Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Invader ZAK

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error Crashing Skyrim

Can some on please tell me how to fix this? It only happens sometimes. I don't have any mods. The only DLC I have is Dawnguard.

Last edited by Invader ZAK: 11-20-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Legwon

according to this posting here u need to update ur java.

please check the post and confirm that is what the issue is.
Legwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
xybolt

If this above didn't helped ( it would surprise me if it did ... ) can you post your system specs ? ( post your OS ( fe "windows7 64 bit") / CPU / RAM / gfx card )

Please also ensure that your C++ library is up to date.
xybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Invader ZAK

The issue is that the game crashes because of a Microsoft C++ error and it says: R6025 -Pure virtual function call

Updating my java didn't work.

If you need to know my specs:

windows 7 32 bit
2.4 ghz cpu
2 gb ram
amd radeon 4850

Can someone please tell me how to update my C++ library? I don't know how. If anyone can help me fix this it would be HUGELY appreciated.
Invader ZAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Legwon

heres a link for the dist pack for ms c++ library.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5555

heres the google page i found it on. may have a better answer for u ...
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...RXE4Q0n1a1esXw
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
McDave

I've had that happen with other games (on CD/DVD) and had to reinstall the game to fix it.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Invader ZAK

Thanks, to both of you! I'll try updating and then re installing if that doesn't work.

One question about downloading/updating the C++. Do I have to uninstall the old Microsoft C++ or will it automatically overwrite it?
Invader ZAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Legwon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader ZAK View Post
One question about downloading/updating the C++. Do I have to uninstall the old Microsoft C++ or will it automatically overwrite it?
i dont have a clue :s
never had to deal with it myself
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Shadowblade001

Banned
Quote:
No, you can have different versions at the same time and the relevant software will use what it needs to. I have versions for 2005, 2008 and 2010 on my system.

Make sure you get the 64 bit version if you have Windows 7 64 bit.

You may need to update DotNetFX as well.

~
Shadowblade001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #10
xybolt

the problem at windows error message is that it's thrown up within a series of error. At least some windows errors have several causes and meaning, which makes it more difficult to find the problem.

A most known cause is RAM limitation within a 32bit system. that's why i asked for your specs, but you have win7 32 bit with 2GB, which is enough. Adding more RAM doesn't work because 32bit supports only up to 2GB addressing.

since you are saying "it happens sometimes" then it could be that the error is thrown up when the system cannot find the data in the RAM. 2GB is pretty small, with windows7, you have 1GB left. Ensure that your skyrim game doesn't exceed 1GB gap. If it happens, then you may be unlucky if the required data information got moved to the swap file in HDD instead of being on the RAM.

the RAM works by this way ; if the page table is full, the oldest/least frequently used partition is moved to swap memory in HDD to replace it with new data. After a while, when the swap partition got timed out ( not re-used) it will be removed from your virtual memory. Well here, the CPU inserts an address on your RAM. But it doesn't contain the right data ( it's checked before excluding ). Since the game is a continuous progress, it cannot wait long enough ( swapping data from RAM to HDD is slow because HDD is the slowest part of your system ) and thus it gives up and throws an exception to windows.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Buck213

Invader ZAK, were you able to fix the problem and if so what did you do? If not, what model cpu is it that you have?

Quote:
It is better to uninstall .NET and then reinstall .NET and then update .NET, as running the installer again just repairs or removes .NET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xybolt View Post
A most known cause is RAM limitation within a 32bit system. that's why i asked for your specs, but you have win7 32 bit with 2GB, which is enough. Adding more RAM doesn't work because 32bit supports only up to 2GB addressing.
32 bit Windows 7 supports from 2GB up to 4GB Addressing depending on the version.
Windows 7 all versions but starter: 2GB Max for the Process 'The Game' and 2GB Max for the System 'The OS'. That equals 4GB
Windows 7 Starter: I think it is 1GB for the Process and 1GB for the System. That equals 2GB

This means adding more RAM will allow more memory for the game, which usually improves performance, unless he has Windows 7 Starter version of course, but he did not state the version he is using.

Have a look here for MS 32bit addressing information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Back to the C++ problem, adding more RAM will not fix this as it is a bug in the game or maybe a incompatibility with some hardware, see the link below for a Description of the R6025 run-time error in Visual C++.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125749

What did not fix this problem:
- Reinstalling Steam
- Reinstalling Skyrim
- Reinstalling XP or 7
- Reinstalling .NET Frameworks
- Reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
- Reinstalling DirectX
- Making sure all Drivers/Software was Updated
- Contacting Bethesda Technical Support

I like the idea that a Java update would fix the problem, thats funny. Did Bethesda come up with that one?

Only way I know to fix this problem:
- Disable Dawnguard

I contacted their tech support and all they did was tell me to do what I already tried multiple times. They kept switching Tech Support people and repeating the same steps over like a scratched record. I spent a lot of time creating a nicely formatted list of what I tried and the processes running, etc. and they did not even read it and even told me so. They said they were going to send me to the next tier of support and then they stopped contacting me. They even told me once to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, but the game uses the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable.
Buck213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
xybolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck213 View Post
They even told me once to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, but the game uses the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable.
=O

If you have experienced it too, then you can dig in the event viewer to narrow down the cause. That message is being thrown up at several exceptions caused by the software.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
Buck213

Quote:
Originally Posted by xybolt View Post
If you have experienced it too, then you can dig in the event viewer to narrow down the cause. That message is being thrown up at several exceptions caused by the software.
On a good day the average is 1 crash every 10 minutes.

Unfortunately there has never been an entry in the event viewer for these errors for me and the only reason I found out it was the C++ runtime 6025 error was due to I installed MS Visual Studio 2010 so that I could capture a dump and try to get more information to send to Bethesda.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Buck213

After further testing I have found out that my information was incorrect, so it is back to testing.

Last edited by Buck213: 02-18-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Seph64

I don't think declining vampirism has anything to do with it. Well, not in my case anyway.

In my case, it's the way Skyrim handles their save files with new DLC is what cause these MS Visual C++ errors. Take for instance when I bought, downloaded and enabled Dragonborn. Before I bought it, my saves all worked fine. No crashes, no MS Visual C++ errors. After I bought DB, I start getting the MS Visual C++ errors. This was especially annoying since I wanted to go through DB on my level 81 character. But no, I had to rid myself of my saves at that point (well, I backed them up before deleting them). New characters after obtaining Dragonborn? No problems what so ever.

So yeah, if you get these MS Visual C++ errors, move your save files, and create new characters and see if that fixes it.
Seph64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V