Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 11-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
HeadacheXL

Win7 Sound Problem: full sound (left & right side) plays on left side only (Headset)

This is super weird. I was playing Max Payne 3 for the first time today and during one of the earlier cutscenes I noticed the sound only playing on the left side of my headset. The only sound option in the game is "stereo" or "headset" so I switched to the latter which fixed the problem for a little while. Next cutscene -> same problem again. I switched back to stereo which didn't help.

The thing is: after having this issue in the game I now have no sound on the right side of my headset anywhere (windows sounds, browser, video clips, other games).

It is not like the headset is broken though, which would be the first guess.

If I run a test in my sound configuration options (you know, where it plays something on the left, then on the right), I get both sounds BUT on the left side only. First, the original left sound at normal volume, then the (technically) right side sound at a very low volume but also on the left side of my headset.

- tried a different headset -> same problem
- tried the front connectors instead of the rear ones -> same problem
- updated, uninstalled and reinstalled driver -> still the same problem
- it is not the balance setting of left and right either because, like I said, i get both sounds but only on the left side which means there is indeed sound playing for both sides, it's just not playing the right way.

I'm running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit with the Realtek HD Audio-Driver R2.70 Version 6.0.1.6662

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me crazy...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Aleroniponi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadacheXL View Post
This is super weird. I was playing Max Payne 3 for the first time today and during one of the earlier cutscenes I noticed the sound only playing on the left side of my headset. The only sound option in the game is "stereo" or "headset" so I switched to the latter which fixed the problem for a little while. Next cutscene -> same problem again. I switched back to stereo which didn't help.

The thing is: after having this issue in the game I now have no sound on the right side of my headset anywhere (windows sounds, browser, video clips, other games).

It is not like the headset is broken though, which would be the first guess.

If I run a test in my sound configuration options (you know, where it plays something on the left, then on the right), I get both sounds BUT on the left side only. First, the original left sound at normal volume, then the (technically) right side sound at a very low volume but also on the left side of my headset.

- tried a different headset -> same problem
- tried the front connectors instead of the rear ones -> same problem
- updated, uninstalled and reinstalled driver -> still the same problem
- it is not the balance setting of left and right either because, like I said, i get both sounds but only on the left side which means there is indeed sound playing for both sides, it's just not playing the right way.

I'm running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit with the Realtek HD Audio-Driver R2.70 Version 6.0.1.6662

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me crazy...
After troubleshooting as thoroughly as you did (good job btw), all I could recommend would be to try a sound card. When you uninstalled the audio driver, did you check for Windows Updates before you reinstalled it?
Aleroniponi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems