Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Molestro

Failed to create the D3D9 Device! this can happen if the desktop is locked Exiting...

Hello all,

I'm having an issue when I try to launch games on my TV vs. my Monitor. The error I'm getting is:

"Failed to create the D3D9 Device! this can happen if the desktop is locked
Exiting..."

Only some games give me this error. I think I've isolated it to mainly UT3 Engine games.

They work fine on my monitor (BenQ 1080p@60Hz), but they give me the above error when I try to run them on my TV (Sony KDL-46W3000 Bravia 1080p@60Hz).

Here's another wrinkle: I had this set up working fine for years with an AMD Radeon 5870 running HDMI (40-ft) directly from my card to my Receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606). When I switched the output to my TV in CCC I would have to manually add 1080p@60Hz and overscan to scale the screen size but that was a one-time fix and everything would work fine after that. The reason I had to manually add 1080p@60Hz is unknown to me, but for some reason it was detecting 1080i@30Hz native even though the TV is supposed to support 1080p@60Hz native.

Last week, I bought an nVidia 670. When I switched the output to my TV, I had to manually add 1080p@60Hz (as it was detecting 1080i@30Hz native again) and the desktop displayed fine after that - no need to mess with overscan this time. But now when I try to run XCOM for example (an UT3 Engine game), I get that error from above and it crashes.

Games that don't crash seem to change resolution at launch as I notice the screen goes black for a few seconds as it would when I change resolutions (possibly back to the native 1080i@30Hz that was initially being detected - though I'm not sure).

After reading various forums and messing around myself for several hours I've tried the following:
-Launching the problem games in windowed mode - it works, but that's hardly a solution
-Launching the problem games @ the natively detected 1080i@30Hz - again, it works, but that's not ideal either...
-Changing the resX and resY values to 1920 and 1080 respectively is not a solution in my case as they already are set to those values. I know this solution applies to many other people who have had this issue, but not in my case as the resolutions are the same.

And before you suggest, yes I'm running the latest drivers and DirectX version in Win7 64-bit. I've even tried the latest beta drivers from nVidia, and I've run driver cleaner between installs (and cleared out all the old AMD drivers).

Has anyone else run into this issue, and is there a way to resolve it? I'm really banging my head against the wall the last few days. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips