Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
ANleas

PS3 on monitor and TV, huge difference

I got a BenQ XL2420T 23,6" monitor and tried to connect my PS3 to it with a HDMI cable. It looks much more pixelated and blurry than on my TV screen with 720p games. Both of my screens support 1080p with 1920x1080 resolution. My TV is much larger than my BenQ monitor, but it still looks better on the TV? Shouldn't it be the opposite? Since the TV screen would be strecthing the image way more than a smaller PC monitor? I dont quite understand, but it looks bad on the BenQ PC monitor. I even tried to sit up very close to the TV, but the edges on a building for example looks much more pixelated on my PC monitor than on the TV screen. You can still feel that there is no AA in the game on the TV, but it still looks clearer.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
cannondale06

Banned
yeah I have noticed the same thing. it seems tvs do a much better job with the consoles. I have tried my 360 and ps3 on my 1080p monitor and it looked like complete no matter what setting I adjusted. my consoles look way better even on my big old 36 inch 480i crt than on any pc monitor.
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Bad_Motha

Banned
Did u look through the BenQ monitor's menu options w/ PS3 hooked up?
Most likely it has options for Sharpness (or other options), which u may need to adjust in order to get a better looking picture. While the default settings may look fine when using a PC (i.e. Windows Desktop) it may not look so great in other things, like Movies and Games.

One of my main displays is ASUS VE278Q 27" and w/ Xbox360 + HDMI, games look pretty dam good I must say. But my monitor also has a ton of options to help make that happen.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
ANleas

Lower or higher sharpness didn't helped either. It was the first thing I tried to adjust.
What settings do you use? My monitor got alot of settings aswell, but none worked.
ANleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
masterchef341

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANleas View Post
Shouldn't it be the opposite? Since the TV screen would be strecthing the image way more than a smaller PC monitor?
No. Both your monitor and the TV have to stretch the image the same amount. Your TV is 1920x1080, and has to stretch a 1280x720 image to fill 1920x1080 pixels. Your monitor has the exact same task.

What's going on is likely that your TV has better scaling hardware. Different displays may use different methods to stretch images, and higher quality methods may require more expensive hardware / processors in the display itself. Since televisions are often tasked with scaling different sources (video games consoles are 720p, DVDs are 480p, etc), the television manufacturers may include better scaling support in those displays. This also increases the cost of the device.

Computer monitors almost always display native resolution. Even if you are running full screen media from your computer that doesn't match your display resolution, that scaling is done by whatever application is running in software in very high quality (at least as good as your television, or better). Many newer graphics cards from the past several years are also capable of scaling in very high quality. If you run a PC video game (or your desktop) in a non-native resolution, then your graphics card usually handles the scaling, and it has very high quality.

If you connect your console to your monitor, then you are relying on scaling from either your computer monitor, which probably doesn't have great scaling hardware (because it really doesn't need it)- or the console itself, which may or may not, I'm not sure. I would double check the PS3 settings to see if it can take over the scaling and output at 1080p
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Bad_Motha

Banned
Consoles such as Xbox360 and PS3 fully support 1080i/p, but only if the media supports it. On the back of your media packaging (DVD or Bluray casing for example) it should say what resolution the game (or movie) supports.

As far as scaling goes, masterchef341 is correct about all that.
I would check the monitor menu for scaling options. Most have such an option, like AUTO or 1:1 for example. You may also want to look through the PS3 main menu config options to see what is available for Stretching, Scaling, or Aspect Ratio. Since I only have an Xbox360 here, I couldn't tell u what to do on the PS3 exactly. Perhaps there is someone on here who could be of better help with the specifics of the PS3's options.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
ANleas

If I select 1080p under display options, then my whole screen sorta spass out and flickers. Is that caused by an issue with my HDMI cable or? Because that happens on the TV too. I can only select 1080i, 720p then 572p. If I only leave the 1080i on, then it goes down on 572p which is even more horrible. It wont upscale the image. Guess I took my hands on the wrong monitor then? Too late to return it though... But next time I will check if they got a good scaling software.

Edit: Got the game Assassins Creed 3. On the box it says it supports HD 720p, 1080i and 1080p. When I run the game it only does 720p, even though I have atleast 1080i checked. 1080p makes the image spass out as I said, for some kinda reason.

Last edited by ANleas: 11-28-2012 at 10:17 AM.
ANleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Bad_Motha

Banned
Not sure what to say or suggest then. According to the BenQ specs-sheet for this model, it says supports 24Hz-120Hz ranges, which would include refresh rates such as 30, 50, 59, 60. So not sure what the deal is with the PS3 not wanting to display correctly.

Do you have any other HDMI cables around you could try? Just as a test.

If this forum isn't able to help you, try looking on (or posting on) forums such as BenQ or PlayStation and see if that helps. As those forums might have a community able to better answer your questions.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
masterchef341

sounds like an issue with the PS3 or the cable
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems