Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
TeFalloutguy

Steam says I don't own Skyrim.

I'm going to Apologize in advance if this has been posted before, or something like that, but I don't care at this point.

A few years ago, I bought a Custom built, From the ground up, Gaming Computer. It came with a few games, as is, So I played the ones that came with the computer most often.

One of them, was Skyrim.

Just yesterday, I finally decided to mod my Skyrim, And got Nexus Mod Manager up and working, and downloaded a few mods, which some worked, some didn't.

I looked into it, And I Believe my Skyrim is running on a version that is anywhere form the first update to right before 1.5, Because in one of the Mod's Description, it said:

"Requires Skyrim update 1.5"

Ironically, it wasn't working, so I figured my Skyrim was out of date.

So I looked to Google, YouTube, Etc, And found nothing useful.

All the people were saying to go Up to steam Setting, Beta Participation, and Skyrim was supposed to be there. Well it wasn't.

I Believe the problem was that Skyrim was not downloaded to the PC through Steam. So I added it to my Steam Library.

I figured buying a DLC may fix it, so I tried purchasing Hearthfire. At the end of my Transaction, Steam claimed I don't own Skyrim, Despite me clearly looking at it in my Games Library.

Anyone got any idea how to fix this? Because I can't spare the 60$ to buy it on the Steam Store.

And once again, Sorry if this is the wrong subtopic, or this has been posted a million times, I really don't care at this point.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Tyraa Rane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeFalloutguy View Post
I Believe the problem was that Skyrim was not downloaded to the PC through Steam. So I added it to my Steam Library.

I figured buying a DLC may fix it, so I tried purchasing Hearthfire. At the end of my Transaction, Steam claimed I don't own Skyrim, Despite me clearly looking at it in my Games Library.
Did you add Skyrim to your Steam library via "Add A Game..." -> "Add a Non-Steam Game"?

If so, that's your problem, and I'm afraid you won't get much real support here. Skyrim is a Steamworks game. As such it should always be in your Steam library, whether you purchased it direct from Steam, a retailer like Amazon, or picked up a physical copy at a store.

That a) your copy of Skyrim wasn't in your Steam library to begin with, and b) Steam thought you didn't own Skyrim when you went to buy Hearthfire, and c) you couldn't get the game to update suggests to me that the copy of Skyrim that came with your PC was pirated. Otherwise, it would have been hooked into Steam from the start.

(It's also worth noting that I've never heard of a major AAA title like Skyrim coming pre-installed on a PC. I know graphics cards manufacturers will sometimes give away copies of a game with their GPUs--AMDs and Dirt 3, and IIRC Nvidia with Batman: Arkham Asylum--but never with a PC.)

If I'm misinterpreting your post and this isn't the case, then I apologize, and either way I'm pointing the finger of blame at whoever you purchased your PC from rather than you. Still, if this is true then you will need to purchase a legal copy of Skyrim (from anywhere; doesn't necessarily have to be Steam) to get it working properly and/or to purchase DLC.
Tyraa Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
iHaxTheNaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyraa Rane View Post
Did you add Skyrim to your Steam library via "Add A Game..." -> "Add a Non-Steam Game"?

If so, that's your problem, and I'm afraid you won't get much real support here. Skyrim is a Steamworks game. As such it should always be in your Steam library, whether you purchased it direct from Steam, a retailer like Amazon, or picked up a physical copy at a store.

That a) your copy of Skyrim wasn't in your Steam library to begin with, and b) Steam thought you didn't own Skyrim when you went to buy Hearthfire, and c) you couldn't get the game to update suggests to me that the copy of Skyrim that came with your PC was pirated. Otherwise, it would have been hooked into Steam from the start.

(It's also worth noting that I've never heard of a major AAA title like Skyrim coming pre-installed on a PC. I know graphics cards manufacturers will sometimes give away copies of a game with their GPUs--AMDs and Dirt 3, and IIRC Nvidia with Batman: Arkham Asylum--but never with a PC.)

If I'm misinterpreting your post and this isn't the case, then I apologize, and either way I'm pointing the finger of blame at whoever you purchased your PC from rather than you. Still, if this is true then you will need to purchase a legal copy of Skyrim (from anywhere; doesn't necessarily have to be Steam) to get it working properly and/or to purchase DLC.

This

They likely would have provided a Steam key if it was a legit offer. Did you buy from well known source?
iHaxTheNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
alexUW

Sounds like "torrented" version.

I don't believe there is a version that can be installed outside of STEAM.
I searched "skyrim not patching" and found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/11...atching-skyrim
alexUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
TeFalloutguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyraa Rane View Post

A few people mentioned that I could simply get a Pirated update, but I'm not for that.

The PC was in use before I bought it, So my guess is the College student I bought it off must have Pirated it at some point, Because the PC didn't even have Steam installed into it. I'm really not entirely sure, all I know is that it when I bought it, Skyrim was already installed into it, And I'm guessing for that reason, steam can not recognize it.

It's the only game I've tried playing with Steam that was not installed THROUGH Steam, So I'm guessing there's the flaw.

The only reason I'd really have any problem is because this would be the third Skyrim game I've bought. One of my PS3, my Xbox 360, and now I may have to buy it for PC.

As it is, I'm not really very fond of having a Pirated game in my computer. And now that I think about it, I probably have THREE pirated games in my computer, So I should probably delete them.
TeFalloutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
TeFalloutguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHaxTheNaked View Post
This

They likely would have provided a Steam key if it was a legit offer. Did you buy from well known source?
And on the topic of who I bought it from...

It was a College student at the Rochester Institute of Technology. So now that I think about it... Not the most "Trustworthy" person to buy a computer from.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Port_A_Build

Most certainly not. The Steam Winter Sale will save you when it comes to buying Skyrim. Be careful of what computers you buy in the future. The other games on the computer are probably pirates too, check them.
Port_A_Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
KK_reborn

When you played Skyrim before, did it launch from within Steam or by itself?
KK_reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Port_A_Build

Quote:
It's the only game I've tried playing with Steam that was not installed THROUGH Steam, So I'm guessing there's the flaw.
I'd say not, KK.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
lillythemoogle

Uh, so you basically purchased a computer and used the same Steam account that the other fellow created? Seems kinda fishy to me, the entire thing, seeing as how you have changed the time frames of when you bought the computer (if you bought it a "Few years ago" and Skyrim was on it, that's not plausible, it came out in 2011)

If you are telling the truth about buying the machine second hand, you should have reformatted it before doing anything. Sharing a Steam account I believe is against the rules.
lillythemoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Port_A_Build

Quote:
His account, lilly. But he should have formatted it first. Oh, and he likely used hyperbole, to state that it was a while ago.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
TeFalloutguy

@Port,

There were only 3 games that the PC had when I bought it.

Deus Ex, Human Revolution (I Deleted it a long time ago)
Saint's Row The Third
Skyrim

@KK,

And Skyrim launches from a Desktop Icon. Steam doesn't boot up, it just brings up the Popup with the Mountain Overlook and the Options:

Play
Option
Data Files
Tech Support
Exit

@Lilly,

And No, I created this steam Account recently to manage my Fallout New Vegas and Team Fortress 2. I got the PC Last Christmas, or the one before that. The Steam account is only used by me.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Port_A_Build

All three of those are Steamworks games. They are not probably pirates, they are most definately pirates. I would reformat the PC before doing anything else.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
bluz74

Assuming you have a legit copy of windows. You should call shenanigans!
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
tacc

Your version is obviously not legit. So there's kind of no point in further discussion.
tacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips