Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Colonel_Panic

Any Good Assault Rifles in BL2?

I've been playing BL2 for a long time now, and I can pretty safely say I have NEVER found an assault rifle worth beans... I'm practically up to my eyeballs in purple and gold loot. I have mind-blowingly good SMGs, Shotguns, and even Pistols, but never a rifle worth keeping. Do any good ones actually exist? and I don't mean just special effect ones, is it even possible for a worthwhile assault rifle to be generated by the game?

In BL1 ARs had a good niche as commando, since they did a lot more damage per shot than SMGs, and were more accurate, and with a larger magazine in many cases. Although ones that were both all-around good AND had elemental damage were rare, they undoubtedly existed. So far every AR I've found in BL2 is hands-down worse than an SMG of the same level in all those categories, not even counting the elemental damage. There's the Jakobs, which are carpal-tunnel inducing semiautomatic rifles ONLY with tiny magazines, the Dahl which operate in burst fire mode when using ironsights, are too inaccurate without, and have tiny magazines, the Vladof which are mediocre all-rounders with tiny magazines, and Bandits, which have the only decent magazine, but are wildly inaccurate, and even the best purple I've seen had damage and fire rate comparable to a white SMG of the same level.

I find myself just using sniper rifles as battle rifles more often than not (since most of them don't have enough total damage or crit damage to make good sniper rifles) but my arsenal is pretty much dominated by elemental SMGs, vladof snipers and explosive shotguns, as commando, which is NOT what I wanted to do with my commando character.

Has anyone ever actually found a GOOD assault rifle in this game?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
DIMREEPER

Banned
You missed out the Torgue ARs, have you tried any of those?

I liked my purple spitter, was a Torgue AR with a spin barrel. Did good damage and was fairly accurate.
DIMREEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Vic9992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Panic View Post
Has anyone ever actually found a GOOD assault rifle in this game?
This was good for a few levels.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=111389940
Good ones are few and far between, mostly because of small mag size and slow reload.
Vic9992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
Nite69

Banned
I got some good ones out of the Golden Chest.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/54...C492169503C80/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...3E8C12EC60B4B/

Sadly though I miss the Glorious Havocs, those were my favorites in Borderlands 1

Last edited by Nite69: 12-03-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Nite69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Redtide

E-tech combat rifles are usually pretty good elemental weapons. Other than that, a few Vladofs and Torgue have a few great types but the field is pretty sparse.
Redtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
necrodoom

a jakob rifle is usually stronger than torgue, even though it doesnt have auto fire, you should find one with triple shot, these seems to have the best assault fire DPS
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
lolzorz

Etechs are undoubtedly the most powerful, even with the damage penalty from being elemental. Vladof Etech guns are my personal favorite, the hail of lasers it spews out is sure to fry/flambe/melt whoever's around.
lolzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Kran

During the Bane sidequest I drop the Hammer Blaster to drop from McNally. Being a Jakobs lover, I must say there really is a God, in Borderlands.

The Hammer blaster loses points for having terrible accuracy in hip fire, small clip size and sligthly long reload times. But the damage output it dishes is incredible. Truly a Jakobs legendary
Kran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Colonel_Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMREEPER View Post
You missed out the Torgue ARs, have you tried any of those?

I liked my purple spitter, was a Torgue AR with a spin barrel. Did good damage and was fairly accurate.
All of the torgues I've found were way too inaccurate to use effectively as a combat rifle, and their slow bullet speed, low fire rate... Just can't crit with them or deal good dps to single targets. If you've found an accurate one, congrats. Maybe I'll get lucky eventually... Do torgues ever come with the bullet speed accessory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite69 View Post
I got some good ones out of the Golden Chest.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/54...C492169503C80/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...3E8C12EC60B4B/

Sadly though I miss the Glorious Havocs, those were my favorites in Borderlands 1
Yeah, RIP Glorius Havocs. Those things were the best... Hell, ANY Havoc rifle would wipe the floor with anything I've seen in BL2 so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrodoom View Post
a jakob rifle is usually stronger than torgue, even though it doesnt have auto fire, you should find one with triple shot, these seems to have the best assault fire DPS
I just can't use jakobs/dahl ARs. It would be too much for my carpal tunnel to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzorz View Post
Etechs are undoubtedly the most powerful, even with the damage penalty from being elemental. Vladof Etech guns are my personal favorite, the hail of lasers it spews out is sure to fry/flambe/melt whoever's around.
I've only ever found ONE e-tech AR, and it was a bandit with an accuracy of like 1. Useless ammo-eating bullet hose. Come to think of it I really haven't found any e-tech *anything* other than a few needler pistols, and I can't say I was impressed. Where do you generally find e-tech guns?
Colonel_Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
fallacy

If it isnt a vladof then it isn't an assault rifle.
fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Nite69

Banned
Quote:
I just can't use jakobs/dahl ARs. It would be too much for my carpal tunnel to handle.
Thats the same reason I hate jacobs guns, fire as fast as you can mash the mouse button.

it's ok for snipers, maybe the shotgun, but definately not assault rifles.

Last edited by Nite69: 12-03-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Nite69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Colonel_Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite69 View Post
Thats the same reason I hate jacobs guns, fire as fast as you can mash the mouse button.

it's ok for snipers, maybe the shotgun, but definately not assault rifles.
The irony of it is that Jakobs sniper rifles are fully automatic.

It was a neat mechanic for a revolver, but it should have ended there. Semi-auto button-masher guns are no fun if you're not playing Dirty Harry.
Colonel_Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
lolzorz

Quote:
I've only ever found ONE e-tech AR, and it was a bandit with an accuracy of like 1. Useless ammo-eating bullet hose. Come to think of it I really haven't found any e-tech *anything* other than a few needler pistols, and I can't say I was impressed. Where do you generally find e-tech guns?
I farm the dahl chest in the dust's buzzard camp every now and then. I've gotten several e tech guns out of it. It might have a higher e tech drop rate, I dunno.
lolzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
Reviz

E-Techs man, E-Techs.
Reviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
DIMREEPER

Banned
Gold chest is a great source of e-tech guns. I've probably still got my Torgue AR not sure what level it is. I'll drop a screenie, also my fist playthrough was as commando and I used quite a few ARs. Torgues just take a bit of practice.
DIMREEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands