Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Ran_TH

Steam stuck at updating

My internet is all good but my Steam update process didn't get through 1 MB for 10 minutes.

I presume their servers are busy?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
freeman4all

Most days I have no problem accessing my account, but every now and then it will update forever until I cancel. Servers are probably busy, or some other unknown reason. Just keep trying until it works.

Edit: its probably the BIG PICTURE update that's trying to update.
freeman4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
zeroxxx

I solved this problem.

Copy your steamapps folder elsewhere.

Uninstall steam. Delete the folder.

Reinstall steam, let it update.

Copy back that steamapps games folder.

Done.
zeroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Roaming_Romeo

This is just the result of downloading from a slow bad server. I had this issue 2 days back, stuck at 64% all day. Today it was stuck at 54%.

One was to shut the steam app and to go to steam folder. Then to rename or delete a file called ClientRegistry.blob [Renaming it to ClientRegistryold.blob for eg.] or deleting it. Then restarting update worked. Then Today it didn't work. Rather than wasting time and taking a longer route of deleting the steam folder [except steam apps and userdata folders to retain games and saves] and re-installing steam [as suggested by zeroxxx] there is another way which works better I tried today.

I found a solution that is to Download TCPView from this page:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897437.aspx

Run the app and right click on Steam icon and click 'Close Connection'. It will re-obtain from another server. It's a matter of a minute or seconds till you find a faster server. Today it went from stuck for an hour at 54% to full update in 3 mins flat, the time I took to type this post.

You can try this too zeroxxx. Its less messy

Last edited by Roaming_Romeo: 12-03-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Roaming_Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Ran_TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaming_Romeo View Post
This is just the result of downloading from a slow bad server. I had this issue 2 days back, stuck at 64% all day. Today it was stuck at 54%.

One was to shut the steam app and to go to steam folder. Then to rename or delete a file called ClientRegistry.blob [Renaming it to ClientRegistryold.blob for eg.] or deleting it. Then restarting update worked. Then Today it didn't work. Rather than wasting time and taking a longer route of deleting the steam folder [except steam apps and userdata folders to retain games and saves] and re-installing steam [as suggested by zeroxxx] there is another way which works better I tried today.

Run the app and right click on Steam icon and click 'Close Connection'. It will re-obtain from another server. It's a matter of a minute or seconds till you find a faster server. Today it went from stuck for an hour at 54% to full update in 3 mins flat, the time I took to type this post.

Thank you! I have this program laying around my computer, never think to use it for Steam. Now the update runs smoothly

+rep for you
Ran_TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
zeroxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaming_Romeo View Post

ew looks good - I knew about TCPView but have never thought about using it this way.

New day new knowledge - thanks for sharing. =)
zeroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Roaming_Romeo

It's a beauty alright. Today I closed connection several times on TCPview when update seemed to be getting stuck again. The slowest and most tiring phase is between 46-64%. Thats where you need to keep changing servers. Still spending 10 mins to get it done beats wasting hours or a whole day in frustration. LOL!

Last edited by Roaming_Romeo: 12-05-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Roaming_Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
RogerRamjet

I spent half the day trying to get games to update. After using the TCP utility and closing a steam connection, it started updating straight away. Thanks a lot.
RogerRamjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
I hope these people figured it out 2 years ago.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Sepioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
I hope these people figured it out 2 years ago.
Ahh .. I think he was thanking them for the help .. not offering it.

And it was not 2 years ago it was 1.25 years ago
Sepioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
ackmondual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Ahh .. I think he was thanking them for the help .. not offering it.

And it was not 2 years ago it was 1.25 years ago
Well, unless some "purge monster" deletes these threads, it's good to have them around for posterity. I'll know where to go if I experience the same issue.
ackmondual is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips