Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
VyseM4H
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Reputation: 177
Posts: 625
PAYDAY 2 New Engine?

David Goldfarb (Game Director @ Starbreeze/Overkill. Formerly Dice, Guerrilla, Milestone. Lead design on BF3/BFBC2.) - OVERKILL is recruiting level designers! Reply to me if you like frost and robbery. #payday2

David just posted this on Twitter. Is that what I think it is? PAYDAY will be switching from the Diesel Engine to the Frost Bite Engine?

Overkill please shed some light on this?

Personally I want payday to keep the engine, I understand if there was a switch to frost that the graphics would be better but I prefer the gameplay over looks. You guys developed the engine and have used it all these years, wouldn't it be easier to keep the same engine y'all have been working with for years?

Now I could be reading this all wrong but it would still be nice to know :P
VyseM4H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
I3RUTALITY
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 27
Posts: 236
fapfapafdpapdadpfpafpafpapfapfapfapafpaafap
I3RUTALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Lulzator
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 459
Posts: 4,912
I remember them a while ago saying they intended to stick with the Diesel engine. But who knows, maybe something changed their mind. Overall I don't really mind an engine change as it might mean they'll be able to do things that they couldn't do with Diesel, such as porting the game to Mac and Linux and allow there to be modding.
Lulzator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
VyseM4H
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Reputation: 177
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulzator View Post
I remember them a while ago saying they intended to stick with the Diesel engine. But who knows, maybe something changed their mind. Overall I don't really mind an engine change as it might mean they'll be able to do things that they couldn't do with Diesel, such as porting the game to Mac and Linux and allow there to be modding.
Well the thing is the Frost Bit Engine just like Diesel, isnt modder friendly and is very tricky to mod from what I remember.

Their new publisher now is EA so they would have access to it but didnt EA/Starbreeze promise to leave Overkill to their work and not touch it? New engine or not, I just hope PAYDAY 2 keeps the same fundamentals and fun as the first.
VyseM4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
Lulzator
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 459
Posts: 4,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by VyseM4H View Post
Well the thing is the Frost Bit Engine just like Diesel, isnt modder friendly and is very tricky to mod from what I remember.

Their new publisher now is EA so they would have access to it but didnt EA/Starbreeze promise to leave Overkill to their work and not touch it? New engine or not, I just hope PAYDAY 2 keeps the same fundamentals and fun as the first.
Starbreeze isn't owned by EA, they're independent. From what I hear 505 Games was set to publish Payday 2.
Lulzator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
VyseM4H
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Reputation: 177
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulzator View Post
Starbreeze isn't owned by EA, they're independent. From what I hear 505 Games was set to publish Payday 2.
Whoops your right just looked it up, it is 505. IDK what to expect then.
VyseM4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
miker525
 
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 11
Posts: 255
I almost feel as if it's for another project, maybe Storm. From what I gather Payday 2 is pretty far in development, so I'd think it's a little late for them to first be hiring people with experience in the engine now. Payday 2, I think, will still use diesel. Really upsetting. I wish it was a more modder friendly engine
miker525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
ArcterZero
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 467
Posts: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker525 View Post
Really upsetting. I wish it was a more modder friendly engine
Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
ArcterZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
OVERKILL_crew
 
OVERKILL Software
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 499
Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by VyseM4H View Post
David Goldfarb (Game Director @ Starbreeze/Overkill. Formerly Dice, Guerrilla, Milestone. Lead design on BF3/BFBC2.) - OVERKILL is recruiting level designers! Reply to me if you like frost and robbery. #payday2

David just posted this on Twitter. Is that what I think it is? PAYDAY will be switching from the Diesel Engine to the Frost Bite Engine?

Overkill please shed some light on this?

Personally I want payday to keep the engine, I understand if there was a switch to frost that the graphics would be better but I prefer the gameplay over looks. You guys developed the engine and have used it all these years, wouldn't it be easier to keep the same engine y'all have been working with for years?

Now I could be reading this all wrong but it would still be nice to know :P
No. It's frosty in Sweden is all.

We're using Diesel.

Almir
OVERKILL Software - a Starbreeze Studio
OVERKILL_crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
VyseM4H
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Reputation: 177
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL_crew View Post
No. It's frosty in Sweden is all.

We're using Diesel.

Almir
OVERKILL Software - a Starbreeze Studio
Thank god :P Cheers buddie.

To bad I know 0% about level design or I would apply to help yall make heists with my crazy ideas.
VyseM4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Korvalis
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Reputation: 21
Posts: 142
Will the diesel engine be updated though? Better jumping for example?
Korvalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #12
coldblood3d
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Reputation: 132
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvalis View Post
Will the diesel engine be updated though? Better jumping for example?
I think the engine is an endless work in progress anyway since it is no proprietary product they bought but their own creation.
coldblood3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Primary
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Reputation: 256
Posts: 1,568
I remember a tweet about the question, whether they'd want to stick with the engine or use a new one.
They said they'd stick with Diesel so they could reuse framework, though a lot could've happened in the time between the tweet and now.

Edit: holy 5+ posts, batman
Primary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #14
Ori Klein
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Reputation: 62
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL_crew View Post
No. It's frosty in Sweden is all.

We're using Diesel.

Almir
OVERKILL Software - a Starbreeze Studio
The problem with a proprietary engine is that none had a chance to work with it. And being a small company you don't have resources to expend in order to create stand alone tools for us to experiment with.

I suspect if it wasn't the case you would've had a rather lavish amount of quality levels generated from the community.
Ori Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #15
Nothing.
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 250
Posts: 1,689
Diesel is getting kind of old though..Can you guys put your own twist on it after all this time though?
Nothing. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.