Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
ACJCLIGHTNING

The Complete Guide to better fps in planetside 2

Since I realise many people here want to play, but cant due to fps problems, and don't check the planetside 2 forums, I thought I would set this guide up.

There have been tons of things said on the forums that will help with your FPS dramaticly.

I will also be showing those with mid range, and high end systems how to make the game look better.
But thats for after we solve the FPS problems.

First, its important to note that just beacause you can play BF3 Max or get 300 fps in crysis does not mean you can play this game.

If you had a good graphics card, you could max BF3 on a E-350.
The difference comes with what parts it stresses. BF3 is GPU intensive. The Rendering of 1000s of players on a map is extremely CPU intensive, and a bit of terrible optimization helps.

The problem is, While in most games turning the settings down will help, there are not as many settings that can reduce the load on the processor.

Another thing, This game HATES amd. Something that is being addressed now, but even a much stronger amd will get worse fps then a weaker intel. Luckily some of these tips help amd more then intel, but to fully fix it, you will need to wait like the rest of us.

Also, NONE OF THESE WILL EVER, IN ANY WAY GET YOU BANNED, EVER.

Also, in game, press Alt F to view you FPS and bottleneck.

It is also important to remember the massive improvements that have already been made. In early beta, i5-2500ks overclocked to 5+ Ghz couldn't keep 40. So those saying SOE has done nothing are just spoiled.

Since early beta people have been posting fps fixes, heres all of them starting with the ones that will have the least effect on the game.

1: Download gamebooster.
Although many of you on the forums dispise it or say that it doesn't help, it actually can help in this game.
Most games dont see any improvement because you have enough RAM and a good processor, so the videocard is the bottleneck.
But in planetside 2, in the middle of a huge battle, you CPU will ALWAYS be the bottleneck, even if you have something like a i7-3770k(which this game seems to like more then other processors)
Even if you don't like it, its free, and it might net you a few fps with nothing being changed in game.

2: Unpark your cores
This is possible by altering your registry, but for those less tech savy, this program can do it easily.

This either will have no effect, or a HUGE effect. Ive heard of some amd Phenoms going from 20 fps to 60.
Most newer intels wont see to big of a difference(I hear i5s dont get any, but there are some gains for i3s and i7s), but amd processors could see a huge difference.
Microsoft even admitted that core parking on amd CPUs in windows 7 was down right broken.
This could very well gain you 40 fps, although I expect that if you do get fps, it will be more like 10-30.

Be warned, although Im on a laptop and saw 0 increase in heat, Ive heard of laptops getting extremely hot with this, so be careful. Desktops should be fine.

3: Overclock
Even if its just a small one, a overclock may help. I myself, cannot overclock because of a locked bios, but for people who can, it may be worth it.

4: I have heard that for some reason, disableing areo helps alot, so.....
Go into your PlanetSide 2 directory and find PlanetSide2.exe, Right click it, click the Compatibility tab. From there, Inside the "Settings" box, click "Disable Desktop Composition".

5: Turn down specific settings in game
These are all settings that put pressure on the CPU instead of the GPU.
First of all, shadows should always be on low, no matter how good you system. More on how shadows effect the FPS later.
Next, turn Particles, Effects, Flora, Ambient Occlusion, audio quality, and Fog Shadows off or lower.
These are all CPU demanding(Im pretty sure AO effects CPU and GPU). This should net you some good FPS.

6: Turn settings to ultra(only if you are already playing on high)
Thats right, you get better fps AND better stability on Ultra settings then on high, while also making it look better.
I will expand on this later on when I talk about the .ini file settings.
To enable ultra, you need to go to your planetside 2 directory and find the UserOptions.ini File. This file is completely safe to modify and allows you to enable the ultra settings that were taken out of the game.
First of all, set TextureQuality= to 0. This is ultra, and screws people up because it is the oposite of other settings.
This wont help FPS though, but it is almost required for this game since it already has some bad textures.

If you are interested in this step, Later on I will show you how to do it.

7: Lower Render Distance

Go to your UserOptions.ini and find where it says "RednderDistance"
Change it from -1.00000 to 1000.00000 or if you plan on flying, 2000.00000.
Please note that this does not in any way effect the render distance of enemys, only objects. It is currently impossible to change the render distance of enemy troops and vehichles.

8: Turn off shadows

Ive heard that this is an instant 20 fps for everyone, but I keep mine on so I cant say for sure. It obviosly disables all shadows. this makes the game look very bad.
Go to you UserOptions.ini
Find ShadowQuality
Set it = to 0 to turn off shadows.
Also find OverallQuality and set it to -1, this makes it so the game doesnt switch back to default settings when you start it.

Also, to be clear
SHADOWS EFFECT THE CPU, NOT GPU IN THIS GAME
I dont know why it works like that either....

9: If all else fails, wait
There is supposedly a magic patch coming in january that will bring intel atoms to 60 fps.....
Well, ok, but its supposed to be pretty big.

Thats it.
But that stuff is for if your struggleing, what if your graphics card is good enough, but your processor is having trouble.

Well turning most settings to ultra will actually increase your FPS.
I said most, not all.

Here are a list of the settings you should change.
GraphicsQuality=4
TextureQuality=0

OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=5 or 2(This one is complicated, Ill explain in the next section)
TerrainQuality=4
ModelQuality=4
VSync=0
GpuPhysics=0 (currently disabled due to bugs, but once its enabled, Nvidia cards can get better fps with it on)

Now for those not struggleing with anything, or who can run in game high fine, heres true ultra.

GraphicsQuality=4
TextureQuality=0
TerrainLOD=4
FloralDistanceScale=2.000000
ShadowQuality=1
RenderDistance=-1.000000
Gamma=0.000000
MaximumFPS=120
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=2
EffectsQuality=4
TerrainQuality=4
FloraQuality=4
ModelQuality=4
MotionBlurQuality=4
BlurQuality=4
AOQuality=4
AmbientOcclusionQuality=4
ParticleQuality=4
VerticalFOV=74
FloralLOD=5
EffectsLOD=5
ParticleLOD=5
ParticleDistanceScale=2.000000
EffectsDistanceScale=2.000000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=1
VSync=0
AO=1
GpuPhysics=0

Now the last topic.
Who noticed that no mater what, the screen always looks all blury?
This is the games TXAA. Currently, there is only one way to turn it off.
This has a huge impact on image quality, but also, a HUGE impact on GPU performance.

Find Where it says RenderQuality
change it from 1.00000(don't know how many 0s) to 1.410000 for 2x oversampling.
This has around a 40-50% performance hit, so only use if you have a very high end GPU.

then change it to 2.00000 for 4x which has an even bigger hit and should only be attempted with top of the line cards.
You can go higher if you want, but I don't recommend.

This Concludes this Guide.

This Section is being left at the bottom, because there were so many tips, that there is no way that I got them all. so.

Any Tips Added After Original Post On 12/15/12

1: Forgot to add this bit of info at the top.
SOE is horrible at determining the minimum specs. They seriously over estimate how GPU demanding this game is.
Here is their official list of supported graphics cards
http://help.station.sony.com/app/ans...ail/a_id/36590

Holy crap, they droped the ball on that.
someone please explain some stuff to me
7670m=Above minimum
7690m= Below min
7690m XT= below

I have a 7690m XT. I am playing with that ultra config at 30-45 fps when not CPU bottlenecked.

Or how bout
6800 gt......
Thats supported.....
Just look at the list and see how many you can find that are better then it in the below supported.
Honestly, the majority of them.

The problem comes with SOEs customer support. They obviously ask for system specs.
If its below supported, they will often times blow you off if there is even the possibility of it being graphics card related, even if its not the problem.

So alot of people with GFX cards that should run fine are turned down from support.
A example is a guy I met with my exact graphics card. The game crashes on start up, but customer support wont help him.

Another piece of advice added december 17
Unplug all Headsets and controllers, and possible external speakers.
There are people that experience much lower fps when there usb headsets are plugged in then with them out.
This most likely has to do with the sound quality setting, and the game freaking out about it.
Test it and if it doesn't effect you then you can plug them back in.

In addition, people have found that having controllers plugged in when starting will cause the game to crash, so If you have a crashing problem try this.

More advice added December 20th
change the "Frame Render Ahead" option on nvidia cards or to change the "Frame Flip Queue" setting for ATI cards.

Essentially what happens with this setting is that the driver tells the cpu to prepare so many frames ahead before sending them to the gpu to be rendered,
This can help smooth the framerate when the gpu hitches on a difficult frame and boost the max fps at the detriment of some noticable input lag (also depends how many frames ahead are prepared for the extend of input lag)
with planetside 2 it eliminated input lag AND improved the perceivable performance of the game at lower frame rates and improved the average and max fps.

use radeonpro to do this, in radeon pro add the game executable then in advanced tab set the flip queue size to 1 or 2 it will be set to 0 or driver default then just close the window and leave radeon pro running and it will detect when the game is launched and use the setting.

but for nvidia users you can go into the nvidia control panel 3dsettings/manage 3d settings then choose either global for all games or program settings to set a profile to test changing the option with planetside 2 only, then scroll down to maximum pre rendered frames and change the option from the default 3 to 2 or 1, dont use 0 it will just use driver default of 3.

you may also see an many other games and the difference can be amazing, its supposedly night and day in metro 2033 much like planetside 2 when using this option.

Usually the driver is set to 3 or driver default unless the application overrides it, i dont know if SOE have manually adjusted this and set it higher than driver default but the boost was reportedly noticeable even on the main menu.

This is reported to have helped, but I haven't tried it. Let me know if it helps.

Last edited by ACJCLIGHTNING: 08-24-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
TheInsaneDump

Hope this works for people. The game is a lot of fun.
TheInsaneDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
ACJCLIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsaneDump View Post
Hope this works for people. The game is a lot of fun.
Me too.
Anyways, I corrected a few mistakes and added some stuff, nothing major.

If anyone does do this, please post and tell about how much improvement you got.
ACJCLIGHTNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Enskyment

http://steamcommunity.com/app/218230/discussions
Enskyment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
ACJCLIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enskyment View Post
Maybe Ill post it there too.
But I have never even seen those forums, so I doubt alot of other people have either.

Still, the off topic has been having PS2 discussions for awhile since Valve hasn't added their own forums.
The more people who see this the better.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
iPressbuttons

+rep. Going to bookmark this as I can't wait to play it on my new rig. Looks like it'll be my favourite game.
iPressbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
ACJCLIGHTNING

Just updated with another tip.
Also, I am hopeing someone can post their results using this tip, just to testify to people that it works.

I realise the massive size may be a detriment to some people, but its worth it and I tried to make it well enough organzed that you wont get lost.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
sOb3r

Thumbs up <3

I love you. I. Love. You. Honestly, it looks like I'm playing a totally different game with better or the same fps I was getting with settings on low. I couldn't stop playing last night because I was in so much awe at how much the game changes when applying the settings. It looks and feels sooooo much better. I still can't believe it.

CPU: Core i5 750 @ 3.8 ghz
GPU: GTX 570 @ 850 / 1950 mhz
sOb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
HL_Maniac

I currently run the game at around 40fps on all high settings, so I attemped to use the "true ultra" settings you posted. I was then getting roughly one frame per 10 seconds.

Was that big list of settings supposed to be copy/pasted into the .ini file and replace everything? Or were there some lines that should remain in the file that were not included in the list?

I guess I might try again just changing a few settings at a time.
HL_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Greenstumps

Banned
It's unoptimized drivel.

GPU 40%
CPU 26%
RAM 15%

FPS 20-40
Greenstumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
ACJCLIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_Maniac View Post
I currently run the game at around 40fps on all high settings, so I attemped to use the "true ultra" settings you posted. I was then getting roughly one frame per 10 seconds.

Was that big list of settings supposed to be copy/pasted into the .ini file and replace everything? Or were there some lines that should remain in the file that were not included in the list?

I guess I might try again just changing a few settings at a time.

Did you copy over the entire .ini with that?
Just copy that over the parts under the "Renderer" or something to that nature.

These options are from early beta, when more options were available, so you could just try turning them all manually.

If you already screwed up you .ini, delete it then start a game and change any setting with the in game options.

It will generate a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstumps View Post
It's unoptimized drivel.

GPU 40%
CPU 26%
RAM 15%

FPS 20-40
No, thats a problem with your CPU and the horrible optimization of this game.

One of the main complaints is people with FPS problems, but their CPUs are at around 30%.
The game can't use the full power of peoples CPUs, thus people are even more made about lack of optimiazation.

On amd CPUs, disableing the core parking feature may improve this slightly.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
HL_Maniac

hm, I tohught I had replaced just the [Render] part, but maybe not.. I had backed up my original file anyway.

Just tried again and wow, a big improvement! My FPS s now aroud 20 more than it was, and the game feels a lot smoother. It even feels like I can run faster than before!

Thanks for posting this.

[Edit] I'm getting 100fps when flying high in the air. Not much worse down on the ground either. And I'm definitel running faster than I was before.

Last edited by HL_Maniac: 12-21-2012 at 08:29 PM.
HL_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #13
Greenstumps

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJCLIGHTNING View Post
Did you copy over the entire .ini with that?
Just copy that over the parts under the "Renderer" or something to that nature.

These options are from early beta, when more options were available, so you could just try turning them all manually.

If you already screwed up you .ini, delete it then start a game and change any setting with the in game options.

It will generate a new one.

No, thats a problem with your CPU and the horrible optimization of this game.

One of the main complaints is people with FPS problems, but their CPUs are at around 30%.
The game can't use the full power of peoples CPUs, thus people are even more made about lack of optimiazation.

On amd CPUs, disableing the core parking feature may improve this slightly.
I'm using an Intel Core I7 970 (6 cores)

The games uses one core to 90% and doesn't bother with the rest or Hyperthreading.

The game isn't Multithreaded, simple as that.
Greenstumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
ACJCLIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_Maniac View Post
hm, I tohught I had replaced just the [Render] part, but maybe not.. I had backed up my original file anyway.

Just tried again and wow, a big improvement! My FPS s now aroud 20 more than it was, and the game feels a lot smoother. It even feels like I can run faster than before!

Thanks for posting this.

[Edit] I'm getting 100fps when flying high in the air. Not much worse down on the ground either. And I'm definitel running faster than I was before.
Glad to help.

And yes, this game is in Dx9 and only uses 1 core effectivly.
They desperatly need to support the multi core CPUs better.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
square

thanks for the maximum pre rendered frames trick

I may still have choppy gameplay, but at least my fps isn't tanking every 20 seconds
square is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic