Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series

Old 12-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Snowmoon

Finally finished both ME1 and ME2. My Review. (An Epic Space Opera Masterpiece!)

Hi guys, i know its kindda funny and kindda late that im only starting to play this highly acclaimed series at this time.
Got both games during the 2012 Autumn Sale and thought i'd just give it a go and see whats the fuss about.

My Verdict:
I kick myself constantly for not playing them earlier lol! Both games are beautifully crafted, and playing them is like watching a very addictive and entertaining epic space opera.

================================================== ==============

Mass Effect 1 Review:
====================
Mass Effect is an excellent space-themed RPG that features a very good story with high production values weaving into a very epic and cinematic experience unmatched by most sci-fi films.

The epic story is very compelling and very grand in scale with an exhaustive backstory. Scenes are very well crafted and can be a very moving experience at times. (My vote goes out to "The Spectre Induction" When that music came on, my eyes just welled up with tears of joy, i don't know how to fully explain it.)

Although touted as an RPG, the combat mechanics utilizes 3rd person styled shooting making the action fast and fluid, focusing less on stat points and more on action. It would be more correct to call it a Action Shooter with RPG mechanics i think. Also, does anyone here feels that ME1 kindda have the KOTOR feel? Citadel just gives me a deja-vu feeling almost like re-visiting Taris again.

Downsides, vehicle driving sequences can feel rather bland, having to traverse miles of bland terrain which is quite a cheap way to lengthen the gameplay time. It almost feels like they originally had something indepth planned out for more vehicle exploration, but probably had to cut it due to lack of time. Also, because this is a console port, the graphics are not fully optimized for the PC and can be quite low resolution at times and is especially noticeable during facial closeups. Early game can also be quite challenging when characters are low leveled.

Overall Rating: 9.0 / 10
This is a must have game for RPG fans and sci-fi fans alike. The sheer epic scope of the story will take your breath away. Don't miss it.

Mass Effect 2 Review:
====================

A bigger, a bolder and darker story than its predecessor, Mass Effect 2 is an excellent and worthy sequel.

This time round, the theme is alot more darker and doesn't shy away from more mature themes such as racism, same sex views, ethics on genetic sterilization etc. The set-pieces are also alot more intricate. Graphics are crisp and sharper. Characters are now alot more fleshed out, old friends and new acquaintances alike. (I LOVE the guy who did Mordin, they should give him some sort of award or something! )

Game system is now alot more streamlined and boring mechanics such as vehicle driving are removed. It now also feels alot more Action Shooter rather than ME1's more RPG feel, although i felt ME1 itself wasn't really an RPG lol! (This may or may not be a good thing depending on your viewpoint. I personally felt it was ok to play it like an Action Game.) It also introduces some new mechanics such as planet scanning which although may be troublesome, could be ignored if you wished. There are some design choices which i didn't agree with tho, such as why can't i just go to a shop and buy guns and upgrade like in ME1? Why are all the upgrades hidden in some remote world or something? Doesn't make much sense.

As always, the music and voice acting are top notch in quality. The whole thing feels like a spectacular space opera and you won't want to miss a single minute of it. I cannot wait to continue on with the next game to see how it all ends.

Final Result after Suicide Mission:
50% crew dead, Only Jack and Legion Dead. Paragon. Romanced Tali (She's so cute )
Personally, im happy with this result. It just seems logical to me to have casualties in war rather then having everyone alive and giving each other flowers.

Overall Rating: 9.5 / 10
For fans of the original, this is a must have. Although it has become more shooter then RPG, It improves upon almost everything else and is a masterpiece that will be long remembered years after its inital release.

Sadly, Mass Effect 3 is not sold on Steam and i truly hope it will live up to both ME1 and ME2 in both story and scope and hopefully the controversial ending will not be as bad as everyone says. I'll probably get it soon and post my review on that when i finish it.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Snowmoon: 12-16-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
masni

Nice review
masni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
BlunTman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmoon View Post
Hi guys, i know its kindda funny and kindda late that im only starting to play this highly acclaimed series at this time.
Got both games during the 2012 Autumn Sale and thought i'd just give it a go and see whats the fuss about.

My Verdict:
I kick myself constantly for not playing them earlier lol! Both games are beautifully crafted, and playing them is like watching a very addictive and entertaining epic space opera.

Mass Effect 1 Review:
====================
Mass Effect is an excellent space-themed RPG that features a very good story with high production values weaving into a very epic and cinematic experience unmatched by most sci-fi films.

The epic story is very compelling and very grand in scale with an exhaustive backstory. Scenes are very well crafted and can be a very moving experience at times. (My vote goes out to "The Spectre Induction" When that music came on, my eyes just welled up with tears of joy, i don't know how to fully explain it.)

Although touted as an RPG, the combat mechanics utilizes 3rd person styled shooting making the action fast and fluid, focusing less on stat points and more on action. It would be more correct to call it a Action Shooter with RPG mechanics i think. Also, does anyone here feels that ME1 kindda have the KOTOR feel? Citadel just gives me a deja-vu feeling almost like re-visiting Taris again.

Downsides, vehicle driving sequences can feel rather bland, having to traverse miles of bland terrain which is quite a cheap way to lengthen the gameplay time. It almost feels like they originally had something indepth planned out for more vehicle exploration, but probably had to cut it due to lack of time. Also, because this is a console port, the graphics are not fully optimized for the PC and can be quite low resolution at times and is especially noticeable during facial closeups. Early game can also be quite challenging when characters are low leveled.

Overall Rating: 9.0 / 10
This is a must have game for RPG fans and sci-fi fans alike. The sheer epic scope of the story will take your breath away. Don't miss it.

Mass Effect 2 Review:
====================

A bigger, a bolder and darker story than its predecessor, Mass Effect 2 is an excellent and worthy sequel.

This time round, the theme is alot more darker and doesn't shy away from more mature themes such as racism, same sex views, ethics on genetic sterilization etc. The set-pieces are also alot more intricate. Graphics are crisp and sharper. Characters are now alot more fleshed out, old friends and new acquaintances alike. (I LOVE the guy who did Mordin, they should give him some sort of award or something! )

Game system is now alot more streamlined and boring mechanics such as vehicle driving are removed. It now also feels alot more Action Shooter rather than ME1's more RPG feel, although i felt ME1 itself wasn't really an RPG lol! (This may or may not be a good thing depending on your viewpoint. I personally felt it was ok to play it like an Action Game.) It also introduces some new mechanics such as planet scanning which although may be troublesome, could be ignored if you wished. There are some design choices which i didn't agree with tho, such as why can't i just go to a shop and buy guns and upgrade like in ME1? Why are all the upgrades hidden in some remote world or something? Doesn't make much sense.

As always, the music and voice acting are top notch in quality. The whole thing feels like a spectacular space opera and you won't want to miss a single minute of it. I cannot wait to continue on with the next game to see how it all ends.

Final Result after Suicide Mission:
50% crew dead, Only Jack and Legion Dead. Paragon. Romanced Tali (She's so cute )
Personally, im happy with this result. It just seems logical to me to have casualties in war rather then having everyone alive and giving each other flowers.

Overall Rating: 9.5 / 10
For fans of the original, this is a must have. Although it has become more shooter then RPG, It improves upon almost everything else and is a masterpiece that will be long remembered years after its inital release.

Sadly, Mass Effect 3 is not sold on Steam and i truly hope it will live up to both ME1 and ME2 in both story and scope and hopefully the controversial ending will not be as bad as everyone says. I'll probably get it soon and post my review on that when i finish it.

Thanks for reading
The ending IS that bad, even with extended cut DLC. Love ME1&2, but ME3 ending doesn't match lore. Also space magic?

Its a fairly good game, just don't complete the end after the beam!
BlunTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
rad666a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlunTman View Post
The ending IS that bad, even with extended cut DLC. Love ME1&2, but ME3 ending doesn't match lore. Also space magic?

Its a fairly good game, just don't complete the end after the beam!
OR, you could just use the "Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod"!

Priority: Earth still sucks, but as long as you don't have a problem with the Destroy ending, it works nicely
rad666a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
KubanitoS

ME3's ending sucks badly and basically it ruins the whole first and second game. The Ending DLC fixes it a bit, but it still sucks.

As for the low textures in ME1, check out my thread about the issue. ME1 still looks awesome with the right tweaks.
KubanitoS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
BlunTman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad666a View Post
OR, you could just use the "Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod"!

Priority: Earth still sucks, but as long as you don't have a problem with the Destroy ending, it works nicely
Ahh thanks, I heard about this. Was gonna look up the video to see the mod changes.

Yeah Priority Earth was very lacking. Gameplay, scenery, background soundtrack, just drains you BORED.So dull and empty unlike previous missions.
BlunTman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series