Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Chowder7116

Disk Write Error

Before any of you say it, I did do a search(Google,Steam) , which had no good solutions.

Now,I just recently built my computer (AMD Athlon x4 640 ,GT 630 1gb ddr3, 3 local disk HDD {74.5 gb,500gb,9 gbs}Windows 7 32 bit, and 8 gbs ram{3 usable}. Anyway, whenever I try to install my games, it stops updating/downloading . This was weird to me,so I clicked play game while it was downloading. That's when the "An error occurred while updating ((X)).(Disk write error)". I put the X their because I tried to download the Nexuiz demo and FTL and it did the same thing as Portal 2. So after countless Google and Steam searches, I probably re installed steam 4-5 times, checked the status of my harddrive that steam is installed on (Windows found nothing wrong),did the MEMcheck,and started Steam as an admin. Im truly stumped. Im worried about this because im playing on buying tons of games during the next sale.

Please Help!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Janitor_308

- Are you getting a disk write error when you download if you don't hit play during the process?

- Do you get the error every time you try to download something, or just a lot of the time? Some of the time?

- Have you tried downloading anything sizable outside of Steam?

- Have you tried installing/downloading to a different drive?

- Did you really say you put a 9GB drive into your PC?
Janitor_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Chowder7116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor_308 View Post
- Are you getting a disk write error when you download if you don't hit play during the process?

- Do you get the error every time you try to download something, or just a lot of the time? Some of the time?

- Have you tried downloading anything sizable outside of Steam?

- Have you tried installing/downloading to a different drive?

- Did you really say you put a 9GB drive into your PC?
- I get this http://gyazo.com/3b91dbd28faf5de98ec...png?1355806901 Then This http://gyazo.com/ba2e8861969632a4490...png?1355806925

-I get the error any time I try to install any game.

-I recently installed Rigs Of Rods onto this hard drive.

-I don't really have another drive to install games onto,but sometimes I install games onto the hard drive with windows.

-I just put installed it because my dad hates my PC parts being all around the house.

Also. When I transfer the steamapps folder to the fresh install of steam, the games already installed first,actually install.
Chowder7116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
PELUXA1

*Are you using the new Steam Client feature to install the games in other drives?

*Why are you using Windows 7 32bits if you have 8GB RAM?

*Those 74GB and 9GB HDD's, How old are them?

*Where is Steam installed?... are your games installed there too?

*Last but not least, remember that the latest Steam Client version doesn't support to be installed in the root of HDD's... You need to first create any random folder (eg: Steam) and then move everything to that folder...
PELUXA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
graspee

At least I can assure you from personal experience that Disk or I/O errors in Steam are almost never caused by hardware failure. I used to get a few of them per hundred games when installing to a non-standard location via symlinked directories.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Janitor_308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder7116 View Post
- I get this http://gyazo.com/3b91dbd28faf5de98ec...png?1355806901 Then This http://gyazo.com/ba2e8861969632a4490...png?1355806925

-I get the error any time I try to install any game.

-I recently installed Rigs Of Rods onto this hard drive.

-I don't really have another drive to install games onto,but sometimes I install games onto the hard drive with windows.

-I just put installed it because my dad hates my PC parts being all around the house.

Also. When I transfer the steamapps folder to the fresh install of steam, the games already installed first,actually install.
- In those pictures you uploaded ... was that from trying to install that demo without hitting play while it was still downloading?

- How many different games have you tried to install in Steam?

- How large is 'Rigs of Rods', and how did you install it?

- When you installed 'Rigs of Rods, was it before or after you got the first write error while trying to install a Steam game?

- Have you ever been successful installing a game in Steam on this system?

- Why can't you just recycle that 9GB instead of waisting controller space, cabinet space, cooling, & power with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graspee View Post
At least I can assure you from personal experience that Disk or I/O errors in Steam are almost never caused by hardware failure. I used to get a few of them per hundred games when installing to a non-standard location via symlinked directories.
So ... from that leap, we could infer that if you were to have a hardware failure it would almost never show up while using steam. At least it would almost never show up as a disk I/O error.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Chowder7116

Quote:
- In those pictures you uploaded ... was that from trying to install that demo without hitting play while it was still downloading?

- How many different games have you tried to install in Steam?

- How large is 'Rigs of Rods', and how did you install it?

- When you installed 'Rigs of Rods, was it before or after you got the first write error while trying to install a Steam game?

- Have you ever been successful installing a game in Steam on this system?

- Why can't you just recycle that 9GB instead of waisting controller space, cabinet space, cooling, & power with it?

So ... from that leap, we could infer that if you were to have a hardware failure it would almost never show up while using steam. At least it would almost never show up as a disk I/O error.
-I've tried to install maybe 5-6 purchased games. This is when its still downloading and I hit play.

-Rigs of rods is about 99 MB. But on my FTL its at like 99 percent and wont go to 100.

-I installed Rigs of Rods after this disk write error.

-I have installed Garry's Mod,Total War Shogun 2(Fall of samurai DLC), Civilation 5,and a couple others. I even have Mech Warrior and Hawken installed on this drive.

-Forgot to mention that this is my first successful build.

Last edited by Chowder7116: 12-18-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
graspee

Quote:

That would be a faulty inference. If you were to have a hardware failure of course it would show up while using steam. It's just that steam generates so many disk i/o errors that have nothing to do with hardware failure that the ratio of false positives to hits is large. Therefore if you get an i/o error in steam it is, as I said, almost never going to be related to hardware failure.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Azzaboi

Open "My Computer"

Locate the Local Disk ( C: ) or what drive your installing the steam game to and right-click > Properties > Tools > Error-Checking > Check Now.

Tick the "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" and then select Start. If it's the Operating Systems drive (currently being accessed), it might want you to restart and perform the scan on startup instead.

I/O Errors are from Hard Drive failure, if it's just a small part / certain area (bad sector) of the HD, you can have your system mark that area as bad and continue on. However, if your hard drive is too damaged, it might degrade over time and start losing data, in which case backup what you can now for safety and maybe invest in a new one.
Azzaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Chowder7116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzaboi View Post
Open "My Computer"

Locate the Local Disk ( C: ) or what drive your installing the steam game to and right-click > Properties > Tools > Error-Checking > Check Now.

Tick the "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" and then select Start. If it's the Operating Systems drive (currently being accessed), it might want you to restart and perform the scan on startup instead.

I/O Errors are from Hard Drive failure, if it's just a small part / certain area (bad sector) of the HD, you can have your system mark that area as bad and continue on. However, if your hard drive is too damaged, it might degrade over time and start losing data, in which case backup what you can now for safety and maybe invest in a new one.
Okay. Im trying that right now.Ill get back to you guys when its done.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Janitor_308

If all the failures occur when you hit play while they're still downloading, have you yet tried to just let them finish installing before hitting play?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Chowder7116

Quote:
If all the failures occur when you hit play while they're still downloading, have you yet tried to just let them finish installing before hitting play?
They instantly pause when resume/begin updating/Downloading. No error or anything.

Also, the disk check is taking forever 2968679 free clusters processed and not a quarter of a way there.

Last edited by Chowder7116: 12-18-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Chowder7116

So it started at around 2pm and its 11 pm EST and has not moved an inch. I canceled it and just re installed steam. It let me download the games,and when it had to shutdown for updates, the update bar doesn't even move. This is truly jarateing me off.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Chowder7116

Well thanks guys. It was indeed my hard drive that was messed up. Anyone have good recommendations for a budget hard drive?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
addictedgamer6

[QUOTE=Chowder7116;33589152]They instantly pause when resume/begin updating/Downloading. No error or anything.

Same thing is happening to me
addictedgamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips