Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Dragoon Fighter

The Engineer is a FOO

I was going though extra credits videos when I came across this...

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode...cing-for-skill

It dawned on me that the majority engineer class to a degree is one big FOO. Think about it, all of us Engineer or not benifit from the engineer, and while I am an engie main, I have picked up a couple extra classes from when I first started and for the engineer my load outs have changed over time.

Not that the engineer is the only FOO, there are plenty of other FOO tactics in other classes as well (Vita Saw, Liberty Laucher, Dead Ringer, ect)

(For context Usually I am a gunslinger, even though back when I first started, I soughed at the gunslinger, because I was being an idiot and still using it defensively. I guess most of us are not that good when starting.)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
CaptainJack14

I'm a fan of Extra Credits and all, but for some reason SPUF don't like dem all that much. Saying there to artsy fartsy about games.
CaptainJack14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Trotim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack14 View Post
I'm a fan of Extra Credits and all, but for some reason SPUF don't like dem all that much. Saying there to artsy fartsy about games.
Well they tend to be right, but they also tend to be super excited about the basic things they say. You can either see it as adorable or as annoying

edit: Yeah now that I've seen it... it's one basic point they'd already made some months ago. They explain it pretty well, granted, but the title makes it seem like they'd tackle a way more complex issue than just First Order Optimal Strategies

I don't believe Engineer is a FOOS, at least not the whole class. Gunslinger, yeah maybe. I think the class you're looking for is Heavy.

Last edited by Trotim: 12-19-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Trotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
BallisticLarva

That 'art' doesn't help, either.
BallisticLarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Dragoon Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotim View Post
I don't believe Engineer is a FOOS, at least not the whole class. Gunslinger, yeah maybe. I think the class you're looking for is Heavy.
Oh, yes the heavy. Well I guess he is more of a FOO than the engie, that being said why would stock engie not be a FOO as well? While certain knowlage of the game is kind of required (Sentry Placement, Where to place the dispenser, ect) it is something that is picked up very quickly though not to be fair not right away.

With that being said, you are correct the heavy is more of a FOO than engie and I feel silly for that never even crossing my mind.
Dragoon Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
MrBarker

This may sound stupid, but what does FOO mean?
MrBarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
CaptainJack14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarker View Post
This may sound stupid, but what does FOO mean?
The gist of it is that a "FOO". Is a way to get new players aka Noobs a way to fight against the veteran players. I think the heavy is more of a FOO than any loadout of the engineer.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Z Overlord

that video is cancer
Z Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
AraxisHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
that video is cancer
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that, but it's certainly not very good.
AraxisHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
CaptainJack14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraxisHT View Post
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that, but it's certainly not very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
that video is cancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticLarva View Post
That 'art' doesn't help, either.
See what I mean? Ugh....
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
DrNightKOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon Fighter View Post
I was going though extra credits videos when I came across this...

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode...cing-for-skill

It dawned on me that the majority engineer class to a degree is one big FOO. Think about it, all of us Engineer or not benifit from the engineer, and while I am an engie main, I have picked up a couple extra classes from when I first started and for the engineer my load outs have changed over time.

Not that the engineer is the only FOO, there are plenty of other FOO tactics in other classes as well (Vita Saw, Liberty Laucher, Dead Ringer, ect)

(For context Usually I am a gunslinger, even though back when I first started, I soughed at the gunslinger, because I was being an idiot and still using it defensively. I guess most of us are not that good when starting.)
So, you essentially gave "Crutch" a new term "FOO"?

((BTW, DR is not a crutch, it's just way too powerful in the hands of newb and skilled player equally))

Last edited by DrNightKOT: 12-19-2012 at 10:35 PM.
DrNightKOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
FriendlyFire

Video seemed good till it got to the starcraft example, which is just so wrong it hurts. It also leaves me wondering if I can trust what it says about other games, like street fighter, that I didn't play.
FriendlyFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
Rynjin

Extra Credit is...okay. They get a lot of the basic right but some of their stuff is not entirely correct really. Saying this as a Game Design student. They're fun to watch but you have to take all their videos with a grain of salt.
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
BallisticLarva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack14 View Post
See what I mean? Ugh....
They shouldn't make it in video format in the first place if they can't make decent art. Whatever happened to the fine art of 'writing'?

Oh yeah, Nostalgia Critic and all those other 'internet reviewer' types popped up, so now everybody has to go about making a useless video when the written word would of worked just as well if not better.

/rant.
BallisticLarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
CaptainJack14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticLarva View Post
They shouldn't make it in video format in the first place if they can't make decent art. Whatever happened to the fine art of 'writing'?

Oh yeah, Nostalgia Critic and all those other 'internet reviewer' types popped up, so now everybody has to go about making a useless video when the written word would of worked just as well if not better.

/rant.
That is just how the cookie crumbles. It is really hard to get people's attention without a video and pictures.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2