Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
gta24

Post CSGO fps tutorial ! (fps config, video settings, launch options...)

Hi guys, I made tutorial about increasing (boosting) fps in CS:GO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjhehstevM

I also made a CS:GO fps config, download link is in video description.(there is still room for changes, so I need your opinion. Suggest what I need to add and what I need throw out.)

I hope that the video tutorial will be helpful...

Last edited by gta24: 05-23-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
ChocOrange

Your before and after FPS?

I'll bet there's a reason you 'forgot' this information. The config does nothing other than set GFX options to low...

Currently there are no magical fps configs... Sadly the devs seem to think upgrading PCs is the best fps config
ChocOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
gta24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocOrange View Post
Your before and after FPS?

Currently there are no magical fps configs... Sadly the devs seem to think upgrading PCs is the best fps config
My fps before was 40-65, now is 65-115(depends on the maps and numbers of players on server).I know that a lots of fps options is locked for now, but people wanna play cs:go now, no for 5-6 months, so i wanna try help with this tutorial. I also clean my computer (antivirus,cleanup,defragment... but there wasn't a lot of mess on my computer.

Last edited by gta24: 12-23-2012 at 12:46 PM.
gta24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
shorty

Thanks man, I've had around 30-50 fps in a 32 slots deathmatch before this, now I have about 70 fps which is awesome. In normal game 5vs5 I have 130 fps. I thought about go back on css because fps, but now there is no chance !!
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Hegemon

Its working !!!!
Competitive MM:
Before: 40-60fps
Now: 130-170fps
Hegemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
raIDen212

What is reduced ? something with video card or ?
raIDen212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
macmccune

This actually works? eh ill try it

Does this work?
mm_dedicated_search_maxping "85"

edit2:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2872693

Last edited by macmccune: 12-28-2012 at 02:56 PM.
macmccune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
KiloSwiss

#1.
An FPS Config for CSGO does not exist, because there are no CVARs that have a real impact into fps.
Just use the ingame settings to set everything to low, and if You still don't get enough fps, get a stronger CPU (recommended for 90% of the PCs with low fps in CSGO), or overclock if You know how.
Also having a clean and updated (DRIVERS!) System is a must for every gamer.

#2.
Why did You put stuff like net_graph, the cl_bob* CVARs (actually you put them twice into Your config...), r_drawtracers_firstperson, and other things that have nothing to do with the fps, into Your so called "FPS" config?

#3.
Many CVARs are CHEAT flagged (and therefore useless), or do not even exist (hud_fastswitch as example) so delete them and upload a cleaned up version ASAP!

Before You make a YT Video and upload a Config that You recommend to other people, didn't You even think about executing it first in the Console and watch if it works? You should have seen all those "CHEAT CVAR" warnings and "Unknown command" messages showing up in the console by doing so, but You didn't.
So we end up with just another google.cfg full of faults, that gets now wildly spread trough the internet. -.-

#4.
The Network settings:

rate "80000" - Good!
cl_cmdrate "66" - Why 66? CSGO is either 64 (default) or 128, but 66 is from CSSource.
cl_updaterate "66" - Same as cl_cmdrate
cl_interp_ratio "1" - Good!
cl_interp "0.0" - Use 0 and nothing else!
The Engine calculates the lerp by using the following formula:

cl_interp_ratio / cl_updaterate = cl_interp -> lerp

So add cl_interp_ratio 1 (or 2) and let cl_interp at 0.

#5.
fps_max 101
Why this 101 again?
No one could ever explain me, why 101 should be the common value for fps_max, and I'm asking this people since Years.
Just let fps_max at the default value or set a value that gets You constant fps, but blindly recommend 101 is not the right way.
What if someone uses Your config and sets his rates to 128/128?
This way his fps and therefore his cl_cmdrate get capped at 101, have You ever tought about this scenario, or do You even know that the fps affect the amount of outgoing packets per second if they are lower than cl_cmdrate?

#6.
Common basics for custom CSGO Configs:
Add the command host_writeconfig at the bottom line of You autoexec.

Why do people alwas try to make tutorials if they can not even manage to make a config without useless cvars and completely messed up settings?

btw.
r_dyanmic - Just a little typo, that can happen to everyone of us

Greez KiloSwiss

Last edited by KiloSwiss: 12-28-2012 at 06:22 PM.
KiloSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Nickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloSwiss View Post
#1.
An FPS Config for CSGO does not exist, because there are no CVARs that have a real impact into fps.
Just use the ingame settings to set everything to low, and if You still don't get enough fps, get a stronger CPU (recommended for 90% of the PCs with low fps in CSGO), or overclock if You know how.
Also having a clean and updated (DRIVERS!) System is a must for every gamer.

#2.
Why did You put stuff like net_graph, the cl_bob* CVARs (actually you put them twice into Your config...), r_drawtracers_firstperson, and other things that have nothing to do with the fps, into Your so called "FPS" config?

#3.
Many CVARs are CHEAT flagged (and therefore useless), or do not even exist (hud_fastswitch as example) so delete them and upload a cleaned up version ASAP!

Before You make a YT Video and upload a Config that You recommend to other people, didn't You even think about executing it first in the Console and watch if it works? You should have seen all those "CHEAT CVAR" warnings and "Unknown command" messages showing up in the console by doing so, but You didn't.
So we end up with just another google.cfg full of faults, that gets now wildly spread trough the internet. -.-

#4.
The Network settings:

rate "80000" - Good!
cl_cmdrate "66" - Why 66? CSGO is either 64 (default) or 128, but 66 is from CSSource.
cl_updaterate "66" - Same as cl_cmdrate
cl_interp_ratio "1" - Good!
cl_interp "0.0" - Use 0 and nothing else!
The Engine calculates the lerp by using the following formula:

cl_interp_ratio / cl_updaterate = cl_interp -> lerp

So add cl_interp_ratio 1 (or 2) and let cl_interp at 0.

#5.
fps_max 101
Why this 101 again?
No one could ever explain me, why 101 should be the common value for fps_max, and I'm asking this people since Years.
Just let fps_max at the default value or set a value that gets You constant fps, but blindly recommend 101 is not the right way.
What if someone uses Your config and sets his rates to 128/128?
This way his fps and therefore his cl_cmdrate get capped at 101, have You ever tought about this scenario, or do You even know that the fps affect the amount of outgoing packets per second if they are lower than cl_cmdrate?

#6.
Common basics for custom CSGO Configs:
Add the command host_writeconfig at the bottom line of You autoexec.

Why do people alwas try to make tutorials if they can not even manage to make a config without useless cvars and completely messed up settings?

btw.
r_dyanmic - Just a little typo, that can happen to everyone of us

Greez KiloSwiss
fps_max 101 is from the 1.6 days where it's reported 1 frame less in net_graph. 100fps is the maximum for the HL engine so instead of getting 99 you set it to 101 then it's 100.
Nickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
ShePearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickz View Post
fps_max 101 is from the 1.6 days where it's reported 1 frame less in net_graph. 100fps is the maximum for the HL engine so instead of getting 99 you set it to 101 then it's 100.
The tutorial/guide is very misleading.

Ideally, you want to sync your frame rate to your tick rate.

That being said, net_graph shows you one frame less meaning: fps_max 100 = 99 fps showing in netgraph but actually 100 fps are rendered by the engine.
ShePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
ChocOrange

Quote:
fps_max 101
Why this 101 again?
Not relevant to this fps nonsense, but if you want to know Kilo:

There used to be a bug in CSS where it set maximum fps to one less than the value of fps_max, so people set it to 101 to get 100 fps on 100 tick servers in CSS... BIG MISTAKE. But nonsense like this spreads and continues to do so.
ChocOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
boin

Quote:

There used to be a bug in CSS where it set maximum fps to one less than the value of fps_max, so people set it to 101 to get 100 fps on 100 tick servers in CSS... BIG MISTAKE. But nonsense like this spreads and continues to do so.
My idea is that it is more to ensure FPS are above the tick rate. If you set the value exactly you can't be sure mainly because those value are not exact.
boin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
Mark316

Banned
fps_max 101 is just stupid in CSGO, since the tickrate is 128.

Set your fps max to 129 (so it's 128 solid on netgraph), and rates to 128, and let the tickrate of the server throttle you down.
Mark316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
KiloSwiss

Quote:

Not completely right, there never was such a bug as You described.
There was (and still is!) a bug in SourceEngine Games that the netgraph shows You one frame less than You actually have, but the Engine still renders the correct amount of fps.

Example:
fps_max 100 - 100fps rendered - 99 shown in net_graph
fps_max 101 - 101fps rendered - 100 shown in net_graph

Back then in 2005/2006 when the CSSource community changet to play on TR100 Servers (due to cl_interpolate 0), most people set fps_max 101 to see 100 in their netgraph, not knowing about this bug.

So there is NO serious reason, other than the incompetence of the community (it could be easily checked with 3rd party programs like X-Fire, FRAPS, etc.), why people set fps_max to 101.
And it makes even less sense now in CSGO because the common TR and therefore rates are 64 and 128 (and the CSS default TR had also changed to 66, way over a Year ago) but there are still people who recommend fps_max 101...

For me the fps_max 101 setting is just something the OP googled, then he found an old post from somewhere back then and added this to his config, without knowing what it actually affects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boin View Post
My idea is that it is more to ensure FPS are above the tick rate.
fps_max 101 < TickRate 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark316 View Post
fps_max 101 is just stupid in CSGO, since the tickrate is 128.
Right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark316 View Post
Set your fps max to 129 (so it's 128 solid on netgraph), and rates to 128, and let the tickrate of the server throttle you down.
Wrong! -.-
Read the first part of my post please.

Greez KiloSwiss

Last edited by KiloSwiss: 12-29-2012 at 07:02 PM.
KiloSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Nickz

Quote:
Not completely right, there never was such a bug as You described.
There was (and still is!) a bug in SourceEngine Games that the netgraph shows You one frame less than You actually have, but the Engine still renders the correct amount of fps.

Example:
fps_max 100 - 100fps rendered - 99 shown in net_graph
fps_max 101 - 101fps rendered - 100 shown in net_graph

Back then in 2005/2006 when the CSSource community changet to play on TR100 Servers (due to cl_interpolate 0), most people set fps_max 101 to see 100 in their netgraph, not knowing about this bug.

So there is NO serious reason, other than the incompetence of the community (it could be easily checked with 3rd party programs like X-Fire, FRAPS, etc.), why people set fps_max to 101.
And it makes even less sense now in CSGO because the common TR and therefore rates are 64 and 128 (and the CSS default TR had also changed to 66, way over a Year ago) but there are still people who recommend fps_max 101...

For me the fps_max 101 setting is just something the OP googled, then he found an old post from somewhere back then and added this to his config, without knowing what it actually affects.

fps_max 101 < TickRate 128

Right!
Wrong! -.-
Read the first part of my post please.

Greez KiloSwiss
It's not really a bug honestly, it's just that it will max out at 99.9 frames but net graph doesn't have the decimal shown. cl_showfps has it right though.
Nickz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive