Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
pantho

Steam Gift Cards UK -

So, I've been looking for a few gift cards for Steam but the only place I can seem to find any are at Game. Now I completely refuse to buy from Game, specifically when it relates Steam.

Basically I'm asking if anyone knows of another retailer to purchase these codes from, within the UK. My reasoning is below .

My Rant:

It makes no sense, why would Steam support Game to have the exclusive? Given how Game have literally blackmailed developers into not allowing Steam games to stock the latest titles. Making avid gamers have to get friends in other countries to buy games for them and gift. Even IF I was going to buy a pyhsical copy of a game I wouldn't pay 20-30% more than any other retailer by going to such a rip off merchant as Game. I might be misunderstood as to why (and this is only naming a very small amount of them) games such as Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Assassins Creed could not be ordered upon preorder/release in the UK as it could be in most other counteries. What makes it even more annoying is games such as Far cry 3 which are not steamwork enabled.

So as well as my original question I have to ask if anyone knows why Steam would be so stupid as to give Game the exclusive after recent actions to Steam. Steam need to boycott those bastards and let them go bankrupt. The loss of the only big gaming retailer and people losing jobs will suck, but times change. Large chains can no longer get away with charging excessive amounts when your local Sainsburies/Asda have the same product for a damn lot less money.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
occono

It's Ireland it's GameStop, the people who bought GAME didn't buy the stores here. -_-
occono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
comminsar

Sadly for me cheaper places like Sainsburies/ASDA do not stock PC titles.

I am indifferent about GAME having exclusivity to Steam Wallet codes, but I am damn pleased they stock them, they have aided me a lot when buying games in this sale.
comminsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Lisbon_67

I think they are exclusive to Game.

I agree with you though, it is odd Steam would support a struggling brick and mortar retailer that have done nothing but stick two fingers up to PC gamers; particularly preventing us from purchasing from Steam should we want to. Anyway pretty sure they are only sold there.
Lisbon_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
NikomaiHurashi

Probably Valve just feels sorry them and think about it Game would get 10% of each Card sold for example they sell a £10 one and they get a £1 for each one sold and as it is only exclusive at Game this will help them out a bit to get their reputation up.

PS. How the conversation went.

Valve: Game UK stop slagging us off.
Game UK: Why?
Valve: Because we have a deal to save yourself.
Game UK: How?
Valve: You sell our Cards and we will allow it to be exclusive to you and also you can take 10% of each sale.
Game UK: ££££££££££££££
NikomaiHurashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Sepioth

Thankfully they have a few places in the US to buy them. Best Buy and Gamestop.

While I'm not a fan of either place I'd rather give my money to Best Buy over Gamestop.

Can you use Visa/Master Card/ American Express gift cards on Steam?
Not sure if they are available in the UK but I'm sure they are. And if they are accepted on Steam then you could add wallet money from them.
Sepioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
pantho

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikomaiHurashi View Post
Probably Valve just feels sorry them and think about it Game would get 10% of each Card sold for example they sell a £10 one and they get a £1 for each one sold and as it is only exclusive at Game this will help them out a bit to get their reputation up.

PS. How the conversation went.

Valve: Game UK stop slagging us off.
Game UK: Why?
Valve: Because we have a deal to save yourself.
Game UK: How?
Valve: You sell our Cards and we will allow it to be exclusive to you and also you can take 10% of each sale.
Game UK: ££££££££££££££
This was indeed my thinking behind it as well, I'm willing to bet it's more than 10% for a while as well given the amount of advertising they did for it. 33% trading bonus etc.

I do hope Game stop being bastards with the Steam release dates as a result.

Also, I believe Game don't give a flying fudge about PC Games. I think there threat was to not stock any version of the game in there store. Otherwise I doubt the developers would have cared. I really doubt that Game sell more than Steam for any PC release, specifically any steamwork game such as Skyrim. The last time I attempted to buy anything from Game was a copy of SWTOR when it was in preorder there PC release stems to only large titles or The Sims expansions.
pantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
lcpd119

Game is safe now.
They are the only brick and mortar store that is nationwide which specializes in gaming now.
Gamestation is now Game and all Gamestation stores are turning into Game stores.
Whilst I completely agree that other stores would be nicer there aren't many that have a huge reputation.
Grainger Games and one or two others are the only other store that I can actually think of.
Most people who buy these gift cards will go to Game because it is a reputable game store to many people.
lcpd119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
pantho

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcpd119 View Post
Game is safe now.
They are the only brick and mortar store that is nationwide which specializes in gaming now.
Gamestation is now Game and all Gamestation stores are turning into Game stores.
Whilst I completely agree that other stores would be nicer there aren't many that have a huge reputation.
Grainger Games and one or two others are the only other store that I can actually think of.
Most people who buy these gift cards will go to Game because it is a reputable game store to many people.
No, Game is by no means out of the water. They have the outward appearance of the exact same company. Game have owned Gamestation for a long time, my memory sucks but was at least 1-2 years ago and they still went into solvency. Brick and mortar Game stores like that need to compete in the active market. Most people will only buy secondhand console games from them, fewer and fewer will/are buying newer games from them due to extreme pricing.

Although that's off topic, it wouldn't matter if they went broke again as the vouchers are with Steam not Game. I just don't understand why they gave them to Game exclusively
pantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
creedyboy

the steam cards are only available at game but there is other cheap sites for you to get pc games
creedyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
JimmyMcNulty

Aren't Game pretty much the only videogame retailer? Game own Gamestation, and there is Grainger Games, which the last time i went in i LOL'D HARD at their owned copy of Skyrim on xbox360 they were selling at £30, plus they weren't even selling PC games.

In fact, there is PC World, but seen as they merged with Currys it is just a section now and not a whole store.

The videogame retail scene in the UK is pretty shambolic when you think about it.
JimmyMcNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
wildfire678

Pantho, you could always use paysafecards, they're available at any paypoint store and you can use them on steam
wildfire678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
creedyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMcNulty View Post
Aren't Game pretty much the only videogame retailer? Game own Gamestation, and there is Grainger Games, which the last time i went in i LOL'D HARD at their owned copy of Skyrim on xbox360 they were selling at £30, plus they weren't even selling PC games.

In fact, there is PC World, but seen as they merged with Currys it is just a section now and not a whole store.

The videogame retail scene in the UK is pretty shambolic when you think about it.
have you ever tried shopto.net, they offer great prices and great service with their free next day delivery
creedyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
bessent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantho View Post
So, I've been looking for a few gift cards for Steam but the only place I can seem to find any are at Game. Now I completely refuse to buy from Game, specifically when it relates Steam.
Do you always shop where you have no intention of buying? (Sounds like a waste of time to me!)
bessent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
zeerard

Steam Gift cards don't actually let you do anything you couldn't do before by using a Paysafecard. Really.. http://www.paysafecard.com
zeerard is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion