Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
exoriority

Thumbs down Steam Software = NOT IDEAL

I just had ArtRage which I wanted for so long, and they got it 50% for winter sale (both on artrage.com and on steam).

I figure I was curious with the steam software implementation, and it would be nice to have centralized download location instead of getting back and forth to tons of websites just to update my software.

So, I bought Artrage from steam. Download it, and it requires steam to run. Yes, I know, it should be expected. But there're some games that actually only use steam merely for download and auto update, instead of utilizing steamworks DRM.

Thus my artrage copy now depended on steam's mercy, with all its flaws such as (specially) broken offline mode and such.

If I can't login and all I want to do is to play a game, that's fine, but if it's something that I need to do, or something has to do with my work, I wouldn't bet my on steam.

I contacted artrage team, and told them the problem. I wish they could just give me a new serial so I can download use the non-steam version of the software instead. But they said it's not possible currently, and they'll look into a better solution for the steam version (possibly lifting the steamworks DRM). But it won't be anytime soon.

Just a suggestion : stay away from software in steam, unless you know the risk and want to have softwares on steam anyway.

Artrage will be the first and the last software I bought on steam. Luckily I haven't bought 3DCoat which I got my eyes on for years. Possibly I'll just buy it from the official site instead.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
WO Saotome A.

Have you tried downloading the software from somewhere else and trying the serial?

It works for games.
WO Saotome A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
exoriority

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO Saotome A. View Post
Have you tried downloading the software from somewhere else and trying the serial?

It works for games.
I know, done that to many games in my library. But I can't find any serial key on its library page and the support staff told me that the steam version don't use serial... it merely uses steamworks.

They just said they'll look into this problem and seek for better solution for steam version in the future.

Last edited by exoriority: 12-29-2012 at 10:33 PM.
exoriority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
WO Saotome A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoriority View Post
I know, done that to many games in my library. But I can't find any serial key on its library page and the support staff told me that the steam version don't use serial... it merely uses steamworks.
Tried on Regedit?
WO Saotome A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Projector

Even the concept of Steam DRM on software programs is dumb, but yeah I agree with you and sucks you had to buy software to learn that lesson.
Projector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
Ran_TH

I thought broken offline mode already fixed for months...at least I never encountered that error again.

Although I have to agree Steam DRM is not suitable for productive work. They should have used Steam as an auto-updater only, and supplying DRM by their own.
Ran_TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
exoriority

BTW could anyone who bought steam softwares list the softwares they bought that uses steamworks (the DRM) instead of using Steam as the distribution only?

Thanks.
exoriority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Satoru

Try shutting down steam and running the exe manually. That will tell you if the exe is CEG encrypted. You might be complainnig about a problem that doesnt actually exist.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Zukabazuka

Steam have around 4million active users daily. If you don't want any program using steam then don't buy any program coming with "Steam Cloud" or "Steamworks". Most of those games would need steam in order to play.
Zukabazuka is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips