Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
h2muller

Lightbulb Borderlands 2 Mac/PC Sync Alternative

I've been a Mac user for the past 2 years but, until now, I couldn't get rid of Windows for one reason only: Gaming.

Steam is making a great job putting games with Mac Support, but there are still a few inconsistencies (as the Windows Mac Sync problem for Borderlands 2).

When the mac version was first released, I was thinking I would finally be able to eliminate one of the reasons why I still use windows... But no, I couldn't.
When I first opened the game on my MacBook, I found out that my saves were not there, and after lots of research, I concluded that the versions (PC and Mac) weren't syncing with the Steam Cloud, which had been deactivated for this purpose due to patch version differences, and until the patches unifying both versions are launched, this is going to remain as it is now.

I also found people saying that it was possible to port your files with a flash drive, but I found it quite annoying to have to port my saves every time I played... Thus, I've researched and found out a solution – an alternative syncing method to the Steam Cloud (at least for as long as it remains shut down).
It is, basically, a way to SymLink both your Save Folders to an alternate cloud (I've used Dropbox, but there are plenty of others and you can use whichever you like better), so that each time you play on either machine, both get the updated save files. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DISABLE STEAM CLOUD FOR THIS GAME, as the game will not recognize the save files every time you change platform.

What you'll need:
  • A Dropbox account (or whatever cloud system you prefer)
  • Admin privileges on both the Windows and Mac computers

Ok, now let's head to what matters...

ON WINDOWS 7:
  1. Open the Command Prompt. (to open, Hit START, type CMD and hit Enter)
  2. Find the path to both your Save Folder and the Dropbox Folder. They're usually the same as follows:
    Quote:
    Save Folder: C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData\NumericalID

Dropbox: C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Dropbox
  3. CREATE A BACK UP OF YOUR SAVE FILES. This is important in case anything goes wrong, and I will not be responsible for any lost data. So, if you didn't back up and something went wrong, please don't complain to me.
  4. To do the Symlink, we're going to use the MKLINK native command. To do so, type the following code on the Command prompt:
    Code:
    mklink /d "C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData\NumericalID" "C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Dropbox\DesiredFolder"
    The /d extends the mklink to the whole folder, instad of a single file. Note that the folder order is SAVE FOLDER > CLOUD FOLDER. This order is important, if you change it, your saves might be erased. The order tells the computer to sync your save folder TO your dropbox folder, and not the other way round.
  5. As soon as you hit Enter, your computer will have created a linked folder on your Dropbox account, which is going to be modified everytime you mod the original save folder (as when you play)

ON MAC OSX 10.7 (or higher): (I'm using 10.8)
  1. Open the Terminal. (to open, Hit Cmd+Space, type Terminal and hit Return)
  2. Open both the folders containing your Save Folder and the Dropbox Folder. To find the SaveData folder, follow these instructions:
    Quote:
    Open any finder windows and hit Cmd+Shift+G to open the GOTO option

type ~/Library and hit Return (the Library folder is hidden from the final user on versions 10.7 and higher, thus the GOTO command)

Navigate to Application Support > Borderlands 2 > WillowGame > SaveData to find the folder with the numerical ID corresponding to your steam account (same ID found on the windows folder)
  3. CREATE A BACK UP OF YOUR SAVE FILES. This is important in case anything goes wrong, and I will not be responsible for any lost data. So, if you didn't back up and something went wrong, please don't complain to me.
  4. To do the Symlink, we're going to use the ln native command. To do so, type the following code on the Terminal:
    Code:
    ln -s ~/Dropbox/DesiredFolder ~Library/.../SaveData
    IMPORTANT: Note that, on OSX, you can simply drag and drop the desired folders to the Terminal window, and the path to that folder will be inserted on the terminal code. This order is important, if you change it, your saves might be erased. The order tells the computer to sync your dropbox folder TO your save folder, and not the other way round.
  5. This way, when you hit Return, the folder you have SymLinked on Windows to the Dropbox will be SymLinked (in the same way) to your Mac Save Folder.

Once you've done that, you're good to go! Every time you play on either platform, the save files will be updated on your dropbox folder and, thus, in the other platform. This is the way I found to overcome the Steam Cloud issue and make my own way to sync the local files through a different cloud.
It is a temporary solution, but it should work for as long as the Steam Cloud remains disabled.

I hope this helps avoiding headache for the other players that, like me, have experienced this issue!

Last edited by h2muller: 01-06-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
SOGRaWmEat

Thanks for the info i will be using you way to synic for PC to mac
but before i can do that I need to find my save game that save on the steam cloud. do you know how I can find it?
SOGRaWmEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
h2muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGRaWmEat View Post
Thanks for the info i will be using you way to synic for PC to mac
but before i can do that I need to find my save game that save on the steam cloud. do you know how I can find it?
Steam cloud copies the save files from those directories I have referred to. Log into windows or Mac (whichever has the newest files) and copy them to the other system and then remember to disable the steam cloud on both systems (else you'll be prompted with an error every time you play on the other system)
h2muller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands