Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Noah64

Buying Steam games on Amazon?

When you buy a game on Amazon that requires Steam, does it just give you a key for that game that can be used with any Steam account? I'm wondering because I'd like to buy a gift for a friend and the game happens to cost less on Amazon than Steam itself. And if I were to use the key with my own Steam account, would I be able to add the game to my inventory to gift?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
ultrapwner

You cannot add it as a gift, if it is a steam game, it will give you a key, this only applies to games with steam keys, not every game on amazon will activate. If you want to give him a gift, you need to give him the key.
ultrapwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
atoman

Yes it gives you a key what you (or your friend) could activate, if the game using Steamworks or "steam account required" is on game page.
Watch out for region restricted games (Dead Island etc.)
atoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
0xiDIzE

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrapwner View Post
You cannot add it as a gift, if it is a steam game, it will give you a key, this only applies to games with steam keys, not every game on amazon will activate. If you want to give him a gift, you need to give him the key.
Yes, this is how it works.

Valve should really change this, though. You can often get Steam games cheaper from Amazon or GMG or others, so if you want to trade those games at a lower value, you have to put yourself or the other person at risk of being scammed. When you activate a key on Steam, it should just ask whether you want to add it to your inventory or your games library. That way you can use the Steam trading system.
0xiDIzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
alexUW

I'm guessing you may trade the key, be aware many ppl will hold it to a lower value than an actual giftable STEAM game.

Quote:
Valve should really change this, though. You can often get Steam games cheaper from Amazon or GMG or others, so if you want to trade those games at a lower value, you have to put yourself or the other person at risk of being scammed. When you activate a key on Steam, it should just ask whether you want to add it to your inventory or your games library. That way you can use the Steam trading system.
Nope! Not STEAM/Valve's responsibility to encourage trading via 3rd party routes.
alexUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Noah64

Thanks guys. Just one more quick question about it. Is the key loosely linked to my Amazon account (am I limited to just one key from my account)?
Noah64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
0xiDIzE

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexUW View Post
Nope! Not STEAM/Valve's responsibility to encourage trading via 3rd party routes.
How would that be "encouraging" anything? People are doing it now. The only difference is that Steam support has to deal with a lot more complaints about scammers as things stand. That's actually losing them money.

If they want it to not happen, they need to either price match during sales or give retail keys the option to be added to your inventory. And price matching would ultimately cost Valve a lot more money, as well as requiring them to change a lot about the way Steam currently works.

Last edited by 0xiDIzE: 01-05-2013 at 01:11 PM.
0xiDIzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah64 View Post
Thanks guys. Just one more quick question about it. Is the key loosely linked to my Amazon account (am I limited to just one key from my account)?
I don't know what you mean? If you buy a game that uses Steam you will have a Steam Key in your Amazon account where it lists any and all digital download purchases you made.

You get 1 key per purchase. Yes you can buy 2 copies of a game and get 2 keys. The keys are not registered to your Amazon account like they are with Steam. You can have a Steam Key on your Amazon account but that would not stop you from giving the key to your friend. Just like the Humble Keys.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Dreadjaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xiDIzE View Post
How would that be "encouraging" anything? People are doing it now. The only difference is that Steam support has to deal with a lot more complaints about scammers as things stand. That's actually losing them money.

If they want it to not happen, they need to either price match during sales or give retail keys the option to be added to your inventory. And price matching would ultimately cost Valve a lot more money, as well as requiring them to change a lot about the way Steam currently works.
Your reasoning is impossible. It's like saying Coca Cola should let Pepsi sell their drinks because people are buying Pepsi anyway.

And if you think doing something like this is going to somehow diminish the number of people from doing deals with scammers, you're very naive.

But you're obviously just one of those who thinks they know better than a multi-million dollar company and their billionaire CEO. Clearly, the money is in listening to people like you, right?
Dreadjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Noah64

Thanks, TrippleD. I just wasn't sure if it would let me buy a second Amazon copy if I had already purchased one there and had it in my games list.
Noah64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
BernardoOne

Quote:

That would hurt Steam sales, and they do not want that.
BernardoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Satoru

Quote:

As I have said this effecitvely means you've given every single shady cd-key shop in the world an actual way to do business on Steam. That would be monumentally stupid.

The idea as a 'concept' is a good one and very consumer friendly

However the practical 'implementation' consequences are such that it would be entirely detrimental to Steam and the community at large. Unfortunately teh bad apples win out on this one.

Last edited by Satoru: 01-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Jophiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexUW View Post
Well, it wouldn't be "third party" once you activated the key as a gift in your inventory.

However, for reasons ranging from "Steam wants you to purchase from Steam" to "Don't want to legitimize some stolen retail key", they won't allow this and probably won't ever allow it.
Jophiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Sepioth

Quote:

Not true. If you do not have the game it adds it to your library. If you own it it says you already own the game and asks if you want to install. They key will still work so you can give to someone else.
Sepioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
jdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
As I have said this effecitvely means you've given every single shady cd-key shop in the world an actual way to do business on Steam.
And they are not currently? These people are trading keys. The difference is with 0xiDIzE plan Steam can keep track of what is legit and what is not.
jdun is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips