Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Enigma83

An Error Occurred While Installing <Game Name>, Missing App Configuration

I'm getting this errorn message while attempting to install Call of Juarez from a backup. I successfully installed it last week after downloading it and then backed it up to an external drive. But now every time I try to install it from backup it waits around 10 seconds, gives this error, and then asks whether I want to continue with installation. So I click Yes, and just wait and wait and wait and the progress bar doesnt move. I wasnt going to post at all, but I had this problem just a few hrs ago while trying to install Left 4 Dead (original) from backup. I've been able to install other games from backups successfully. I just dont want to redownload this because my tactic is downloading games once and then backing them up so I never have to download again, except for patches/updates. I've also tried using both the stable and beta versions of Steam, same error. A Google search revealed no helpful answers.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Enigma83

As an update, I just now tried to restore Borderlands 2 from backup, and got exactly the same error message. At first I thought the issue was on my end, or that it might be game-specific, but now I'm convinced that something's up with Steam.
Enigma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Epsilon

Apparently a temporary backend Steam issue. Shutdown Steam, delete Steam/appcache/appinfo.vdf and restart Steam. It'll also probably go away by itself sooner or later, but deleting the appinfo cache will speed up the process somewhat.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Enigma83

Thanks for replying, but i've been posting in another topic in this subforum and it appears that the issue is related to steam's backup/restore function. i've had this issue with 3 games in a day so far, and apparently it's happening to other people too.
Enigma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
CenturyChild

I thought this was just me, except with Sacred 2. I just backed up a ton of games, and reinstalled Winodws. I have a habit of Restoring from disk, then verifying the cache. For me, Steam just wouldnt verify at all.
In fact, I rolled my system back to before I started to install games because nothing would validate.

I tried to just download the game thinking I had a corrupt disk, and was getting this error...

So, delete this file and just download everything? Im not sure I trust my backups now
CenturyChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
bucky699

Thumbs up

Yea works like a charm just delete the file and use your backups, its not the backups fault its that files fault. Was havin the same problem with my New Vegas backup, found this solution tried it and now its installing no worries.

Thanks Epsilon!
bucky699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
CenturyChild

Working well here too, except I find Im deleting and restarting steam often. (Lots of games to install)

Hopefulyl this gets fixed soon. This is annoying having to do this.

But this does get it working again NP.
CenturyChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
TheHunter

Hi

I got the same today, just bought RAGE retail dvd and when i tried to install i was greeted with this message..

At first i thought its Localization fault, i bought German version 100% uncut and im using English.. Gonna try to delete that cache file, thanks.

edit: yep now it let me through, thanks enigma83
TheHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Le-Lavo

Unhappy

Thanks for the solution!

I hope they fix this soon, unable to transfer my games from my Portable Hard Drive to me computer... but can now verify my games cache
Le-Lavo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips