Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
gomixy

Question How to Block Pinion Ads/Skip Motd Waiting Time

I was under the impression that the majority of players knew about the Tf2adblock, but based on the few times I post it, I seem to be wrong.

Edit:
Well since Pinion has basically gotten around this there is only 1 real way of blocking Pinion, and thats directly with your hosts file.

In Windows, edit C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (it’s just a text file so you can use Notepad but make sure you run Notepad as Administrator otherwise you won’t be able to save the file)

127.0.0.1 motd.pinion.gg

On a Mac you can edit /etc/hosts adding the same entry above.

This is completely harmless as all it says is that if your PC tries to connect to motd.pinion.gg that the IP is 127.0.0.1 which is your PC’s local address. So instead of loading ad HTML the connection will just fail.

Video Tutorial/Example

Anyways, if youd like to go to any server without the fear of "Pinion ads" or "You may close the motd in x seconds", then get the file below

TF2Adblock

Its just a .cfg file that protects against server side exploits, fairly simple actually.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post/pm me but make sure you follow the Readme file which is basically:

1: Paste the Protect.cfg file into your Steam/steamapps/username/teamfortress/tf/cfg folder.
2:In that same folder, there should be a file called "autoexec.cfg". Open it with notepad and type "exec protect.cfg" into it and save it.

Here are the contents of protect.cfg
Code:
//------------------------------------------------
// TF2 Anti-Virus by Casual v1.0
//------------------------------------------------

// Protection against server_can_execute bypass
// Make your cfg/config.cfg read-only for extra protection
cl_allowupload 0
alias cl_allowupload "echo Blocked cl_allowupload!"
alias clear "echo Blocked clear!"
alias unbindall "echo Blocked unbindall!"

// Adblock for motd, extra protection:
// > Create an empty file in your tf directory named textwindow_temp.html and make it read-only (this prevents the motd from being saved & loaded)
// > Add '127.0.0.1 motd.pinion.gg' to your hosts file. This prevents a well known motd advertising network to load
cl_disablehtmlmotd 1
alias closed_htmlpage "echo Blocked pinion!"

// Gets rid of servers playing annoying sound files
alias play "echo Blocked play!"
alias sndplaydelay "echo Blocked sndplaydelay!"
alias playgamesound "echo Blocked playgamesound!"
alias soundfade "echo Blocked soundfade!"

// Servers don't need this
alias cl_spec_mode
alias rpt_connect
alias r_screenoverlay

It would be nice if you guys 5starred/bumped this thread so that it will stay alive for a bit and more people will find out...

Last edited by gomixy: 04-04-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Yellow cricket2

Will this affect the game in any other way or just block motd and ads?
Yellow cricket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
gomixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow cricket2 View Post
Will this affect the game in any other way or just block motd and ads?
No

Ive been using it since it came out and I have noticed nothing different.
gomixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
KungFooled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomixy View Post
OMG your a child saver!
KungFooled? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
gomixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFooled? View Post
OMG your a child saver!
People just dont know, I guess I was in the minority of people who didnt worry about pinion/motd.

I just made this thread so I dont have to post this in every single pinion/motd thread that pops up every day.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Red Axem Ranger

Right, thanks. I've seen this before but was on a phone, so, couldn't do it. Question, anyone know a server to test this on?
Red Axem Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Frugal

I've seen this before and I don't see any function in the cfg that would block the 5-15 second wait timers.

There is actually a bind I've been meaning to test that I hear sort of forces past the timer though. essentially "jointeam 2;join_class scout" or whatever your prefered options are. Doesn't eliminate the wait window I don't think... but its a step ahead.
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
gomixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Axem Ranger View Post
Right, thanks. I've seen this before but was on a phone, so, couldn't do it. Question, anyone know a server to test this on?
Remember that posting server IP's are against the rules here, just letting you know.

Pming is totally fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
I've seen this before and I don't see any function in the cfg that would block the 5-15 second wait timers.

There is actually a bind I've been meaning to test that I hear sort of forces past the timer though. essentially "jointeam 2;join_class scout" or whatever your prefered options are.
It blocks the motd from popping up whilst keeping the timer running. So you can literally just ignore what it says and play while the timer is telling you to wait.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Red Axem Ranger

Quote:
Remember that posting server IP's are against the rules here, just letting you know.

Pming is totally fine though.
Nah, I just mean like a general brand of servers, like those horrid Nighteam ones.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
gomixy

Quote:
Nah, I just mean like a general brand of servers, like those horrid Nighteam ones.
Id just try quickplay until something horrible pops up.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Yuurg™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post

There is actually a bind I've been meaning to test that I hear sort of forces past the timer though. essentially "jointeam 2;join_class scout" or whatever your prefered options are. Doesn't eliminate the wait window I don't think... but its a step ahead.
But it does work! The stupid message still appears, but you can just press enter and move past the motd! THis thread needs to be stickied so everybody can know about this script. I also use a script on my pc that blocks all connections from motd.pinion.gg
Yuurg™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
gomixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2560x1600@120hz View Post
Thanks.

I just copy/paste it into my autoexec.cfg file, right?
Put the "protect.cfg" into your cfg foldier, then type "exec protect.cfg" in your autoexec.cfg file located in the cfg folder.

Then go try it.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Red Axem Ranger

Quote:
Put the "protect.cfg" into your cfg foldier, then type "exec protect.cfg" in your autoexec.cfg file located in the cfg folder.

Then go try it.
Do you need " or '
Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
gomixy

Quote:
Do you need " or '
I dont understand what you mean
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
thepounder1

Quote:
People just dont know, I guess I was in the minority of people who didnt worry about pinion/motd.

I just made this thread so I dont have to post this in every single pinion/motd thread that pops up every day.
I was just attempting to tell people about this in another thread about Pinion ads... <sigh>... people don't bother to read; they just gripe and move on instead of reading and clicking a link that can help them avoid the headache of mandatory ads.

ALSO -- five-starred this thread... I saw your post about this yesterday and immediately set it up... took me maybe two minutes at most. It's wonderful... thanks!

Last edited by thepounder1: 01-13-2013 at 10:13 AM.
thepounder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2