Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III

Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
elmo1234abc

raise level ?

minor skills are: axe, medium armor, enchant, blunt weapon,alchemy : i'm using a long sword: should i switch to an axe, to raise my level ? (at level 1 now, 7/10 of way to level 2); what is 'blunt weapon' ? my armor rating is 3, i have not bought any training: if i buy med. armor training, will this make my med. armor minor skill increase ?, thereby, helping to raise my level ? i have major skills increased already; enchant : how do i increase this minor skill ? alchemy: if i eat ingredients will this raise my alchemy minor skill, thereby helping to increase my level ? lock picking: how do i do this ? thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Brandybuck

Lots of questions Elmo. Regarding leveling, I don't know what your major skills are, but you can always switch to Axe to increase your axe skill. Improving both major and minor skills will help you level. Improving miscellaneous skills won't help you level, but will help improve your attributes.

Successfully hitting opponents with a weapon will help improve that weapon, even if you're only hitting mudcrab. Getting hit by an opponent will help improve your armor, even if it's only a mudcrab hitting you.

Improving your level is not as important as raising your skills. IMHO. You don't wan to ignore your level because that's were attribute increases come from, but it's your skills that you actually use in every day life. If you have a good balance of major and minor skills, then your levels will come along with your skills. Don't neglect your miscellaneous skills either! You need those to get your bigger attribute improvements.

Blunt weapons include maces and clubs.

You can increase enchant by making enchanted items (very hard) or by recharging enchanted items (easy). Both require soul gems with trapped souls. So start collecting soul gems and get a soul trap spell or item. Or just use a trainer.

For lockpicking you need to equip a lockpick, and then wield it and click on the lock/check/door. For trapped locks, do exactly the same thing but equip a probe instead to disarm the trap, and the back to the lockpick to open the lock.

You can find lots of useful information at http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind
Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Curseman

I wouldn't bother raising the enchanting skill. Not because enchanting isn't useful, but because you need an insane amount of intelligence and skill to make your own items.

Like, 100 intelligence and 100 enchanting isn't even close to enough if you want to make high end constant effect items.

You're better off either paying NPCs to do your enchanting for you, or raising your enchanting skill with a restoration or alchemy buff.

UESP says that the enchant skill makes you more efficient in using enchanted items, so I guess it's not totally worthless.
Curseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Brandybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curseman View Post
UESP says that the enchant skill makes you more efficient in using enchanted items, so I guess it's not totally worthless.
From what I can tell, that's pretty much what it's for. If you use a lot of enchanted items then enchant is useful (and you get to level it by constantly recharging your items). Enchant also helps improve your Intelligence, which improves your magicka.

If your goal is to enchant items then Enchant is almost useless unless you have a bazillion soul gems you want to run through. It's a bug in the game in my opinion. The only way to make a decent constant item, including constant effect items, is to cheat and use the alchemy exploit.
Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Curseman

Personally I do my enchanting by making a "fortify enchant" spell to buff my enchanting ability up to 700 for a few seconds.

I like that making your own enchantments requires insane exploits beyond anything else in the game.

Constant effect enchantments are so powerful and so convenient that they'd trivialize the game if you didn't need to jump through crazy hoops to get them. You learn how the game systems work, you learn how to manipulate them, and you get a nice reward for it.

But my tastes are probably not the same as most people's.
Curseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
JustRed

Heres a few guides you might find handy.

Levelling up
In short, only increasing your major and minor skills will count towards a level up. So if you get your axe back out, not only will you increase your axe skill, but it will count towards your level up too You could always buy skills aswell.

oh and Enchanting & Alchemy
JustRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III