Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
EpicCyndaquil

Steam Interface Causing Media Player Lag on Mouse Movements

Here's my issue: When a media player is open (I've tried foobar2000, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, and more) and playing music, and I go into Steam (Store, Library, or any other aspect of the main window), any mouse movements will cause stuttering in the audio. While viewing Task Manager and doing this (moving my mouse), I can see Steam's CPU usage spikes, using as much as 25% of my processor (3.2 GHz Phenom II x6 1090T). Something is clearly wrong here.

I've tried both the beta client and current, and the issue applies to both (at least at the time of testing, I'm aware that the beta changes).

Just in case this helps, I've provided what Steam reads as my system information:

Quote:
Processor Information:
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Speed: 3214 Mhz
6 logical processors
6 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Unsupported
SSE42: Unsupported
And some additional info...

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870
Steam Client Build: Dec 19, 2012 EDIT: Just installed the new 1/17/2013 update, the issue is just as bad if not worse now.

I've installed all of the latest updates to Windows just to be sure. I honestly don't know how else I could fix this - Steam seems to be the sole issue.

EDIT: Out of desperation, tried a semi-horrible USB sound card I have lying around. I still have the issue, indicating it has nothing to do with my sound card.

EDIT2: I've read all of Steam's suggestions here. I've also updated my graphics card's driver. Still having this problem.

EDIT3: Tried uninstalling AMD's driver for giggles. Still having the same problems. Also, to be more specific, this only happens with the main interface window, not the "buddies" window or chat window.

EDIT4: Tried setting Steam (both processes) to only use one CPU core in Task Manager, and for my media player to use another. Still having this issue.

EDIT5: After reinstalling my graphics driver, the issue seems to be pretty much gone! (I can still see there's an issue if I have multiple seizure-like movements, but that's not going to happen much in a real life scenario.) Let's hope it still works after a reboot.

EDIT6: Nope, that didn't stick, having the issue again. Perhaps this indicates it is something in my setup interfering.

EDIT7: Seems to be more than just Steam, Dungeons of Dredmor has this issue to a much greater extent. Anyone know what they have in common?

EDIT8: Went through a whole spiel of uninstalling my sound and graphics drivers, removing any remaining files/traces in safe mode with Driver Sweeper, and then reinstalling them. Still have this issue.

Last edited by EpicCyndaquil: 01-17-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: More troubleshooting completed
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
PELUXA1

I would say is your AMD card... AMD drivers are, well, not good... try installing the latest beta or any hotfix released by them...

And, as other has stated in other Windows 8 threads, Steam officially doesn't support Windows 8...

Quote:

System Requirements

Windows XP, Vista, or 7
512 MB RAM
1 Ghz or faster processor

Intel Mac, OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later.
Two-button mouse strongly recommended

1GB HD space (recommended)
Internet connection (broadband recommended)
PELUXA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
EpicCyndaquil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PELUXA1 View Post
I would say is your AMD card... AMD drivers are, well, not good... try installing the latest beta or any hotfix released by them...

And, as other has stated in other Windows 8 threads, Steam officially doesn't support Windows 8...

Uhh, could you explain why you possibly think it could be my graphics card? I don't see how you come to that conclusion, it seems like you're just AMD bashing.

Also, I had this issue previously on Windows 7. So I'm nearly 100% sure that the Windows version isn't the problem.

[Edited for clarity.]

Last edited by EpicCyndaquil: 01-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.
EpicCyndaquil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
ClowReed

Same problem here!

Hey! I have the exact same problem!

But I'm running a Core 2 Duo 6550 @ 3.45Ghz stable with a GTX 570! So, it's not a GPU problem related. I also checked those spikes in processing while moving the mouse around the Steam interface. The cursor comes to the point of becoming laggy.

Using Windows 8 x64 with 8Gb RAM.

It's very annoying. Steam should check this!
ClowReed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips