Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Sentry

Exclamation Where, oh where, has our precious /me gone?!

Hey there,

So, this with recent update, I just realised that the /me function was removed! I don't know about you but I used this neat feature very regularly so I'm a bit sad to see it removed!

My initial thoughts are that perhaps it was a small spanner in the works (as the most unlikely things can be the culprit with programming) with the new Steam webchat system so perhaps it will be debugged and re-implemented if that's the case but until that is either confirmed or denied, I'm hoping to find out what the reason for its removed was? I mean, sure, a number of users may not have known about it but I wouldn't think it would need to be removed for any serious reason?

Anyway, if you're like me and this annoyed you, why not voice your opinion below and we'll see if we can figure out where it went!

P.S, searching for /me doesn't work due to / so I did a search through the relevant sections going back two days (since this is only a recent issue but turned up nothing). If there is indeed already a thread about this, then I apologize in advance

EDIT: Disregard that. I found the patch notes although they sound odd:

"Removed "/me" chat command, which allowed some users to modify the color of their chat text"

Maybe it's the wording but 'allowed some users' doesn't quite make sense. Don't they mean allowed all users or else it sounds like only a select few were able to use it and others weren't. Still no reason as to why it was removed.

Notes and a discussion regarding the removal of /me

Last edited by Sentry: 01-23-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
flashn00b

I think it's because people have been getting scammed by players using /me to pretend to be admins.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Sentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashn00b View Post
I think it's because people have been getting scammed by players using /me to pretend to be admins.
Well, I suppose that would make sense. Easier said than done I'm sure but it'd be nice if a solution was possible to allow its re-integration but somehow stop its use as a scamming tactic. Hmm...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
rowedahelicon

Why not make steam admins have a steam icon next to their name?
Why not change the "Do not give your password" to "Steam admins have steam icons next to their names
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Sentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedahelicon View Post
Why not make steam admins have a steam icon next to their name?
Why not change the "Do not give your password" to "Steam admins have steam icons next to their names
At the moment, they do have a VALVE logo next to their name when employees comment on users pages but I don't see why you couldn't recycle the Golden potato icon code and replace the image with a Valve icon.

That said, they also are all in the VALVE steam group so that's also a giveaway but yeah, I guess a lot of users don't look for those telltale signs of a legitimate employee. Hopefully someone who works there will be able to shed some light on this mystery
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
The Fox

Oh come on, out of all things, why remove this? Seriously, there must be some other way than to completely remove it, to mitigate the effect of scammers.

Last edited by The Fox: 01-23-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Soldierfox

Removing this command wont fix anything at all...people are still going to claim to be from Valve and trick people into clicking links.
I mean seriously, automated steam messages are in plain as day white font and are never colored, ESPECIALLY does not match the color of the person talking to you so anyone who falls for it is entirely at fault for getting scammed by such a weak form of scamming.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
V-Man

They removed my favorite feature?
Guys, come on. This isn't going to solve .
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
rosebuster

OMG, no! Why, Valve, why?! So idiots were getting hacked because they were confused by the different text colour and you think removing the feature will suddenly stop that? Because I highly doubt it. If they're so gullible, they'll fall for scams anyway. I regularly use the /me command. It's very important to me. And I'm very used to it because it works the same in Skype and some games I play. I don't really see why you had to get rid of it! Please put it back and work on different measures of protecting players. This is just preposterous!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
GTX2GvO

Good riddance.

Hope this will reduce the amount of certain "I got Trade scammed!" threads on these boards.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
DocHouse

DocHouse wants /me back
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
Pandemonyx

I can still use /me on my iOS device.

Hm. Should I expect an update soon?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
jello

Why does everyone out there go the “no options, you’ll have to live with what we give ing you” option these days?!
Why can’t there be an option for this that’s de-activated by default? Once there is an option in the settings, people will become educated on it and not fall for such tricks.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #14
DocHouse

It should be disabled by default and auto-enable itself if you use it once, which should mean you know and understand it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #15
aMoxXx

oO Oo

http://i.imagebanana.com/img/0emep7i1/slashme.jpg
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion