Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
enaktsb

Lightbulb Meaningful achievements

Yello,

Just a suggestion with regards to the Steam Achievement system. Right now it's all fun and cool to get them, but I feel that they can be much more once you do have them. For instance, there can be a point system associated here (much like any other achi system out there), but once you have certain number of points - you can get something for them. Hard to say what that would be, wallpapers, some individual game bonuses (UPLAY style), perhaps some kind of a gamer-rank system. Maybe even if you have really LOTS of them - you can get some games for free.

...generally - something that isn't just a bland collection of pictures on some subpage in your game collection.

This would be something a long the line of:
Steam score/rank: your total number of "points" gained throughout your Steam "career".
Steam achi currency: some sort of a currency that you get for achievements. This can be traded for general "Steam stuff" not related to any game. Discounts, digital items for various games, wallpapers for games - promotional stuff in general.
Individual game achi currency: optional for some games or groups of games - this would allow to get bonuses for these games specifically.

Now I know that the achievement system is there mostly to monitor game completion by players so that companies know how to design games better - and we're willing to help them by supporting this. But - it can be more.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
dark lord

only problem is: achivement hacking, for instance SAM, this feature wouldnt work as it would be abused to hell
dark lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
enaktsb

But would this matter? It would all be promotional and not of real value anyway. Some wallpaper... A hat in TF2... A game that you can get for $2 on sale... Just "symbolic" value items that would make achievements more interesting to gamers.

Right now the achievements are just a nice way to see what your friends are playing and perhaps compare progress... but that is all.
enaktsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Captain Morti

Even when similar things were already suggested around hundred times, I agree again with this suggestion.
Captain Morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Silverrush

Why cant playing the game not be enough?
Silverrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
enaktsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrush View Post
I know that you shouldn't answer a question with a question but...

Why should it be enough? If it's enough for you - ignore the achievements.

But many in fact like them. They are kinda cool... Think of them as if you were getting a cookie every time you do something worthwhile in a game.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
GusTheCrocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaktsb View Post
But would this matter? It would all be promotional and not of real value anyway. Some wallpaper... A hat in TF2... A game that you can get for $2 on sale... Just "symbolic" value items that would make achievements more interesting to gamers.
So you want something more meaningful than just symbols of your achievements but you're happy with things that are just symbolic. Okay.

Asking for a points system is...puzzling, if the logic is that you want something meaningful. In what way are generic, normalised points more meaningful than individual achievements? I don't see how that makes any sense whatsoever. Points also have a raft of problems of their own, such that they cannot be meaningful if they compare achievements between games - achievements which are designed by different people with different ideas about how "difficult" a certain amount of points is worth, and which take completely different skillsets to complete. How many "100% Super Meat Boy" is one "complete Spacechem" worth? It's a nonsensical question, and I believe that encouraging people to think that they should come up with a numerical answer - that everything in gaming needs to be reduced to some simplified rating instead of being discussed - is setting a bad example.

And asking for out-of-game rewards - discounts etc - is asking to be paid for the oh so valuable task of being entertained. It's a weird kind of delusion of self-importance, or at least plain old greed.

Getting stuff within that game for completing its achievements is a marvelous idea, but...it's also the basis of almost every game out there already. Do task, get reward. That's what games are. Some developers might want to have at least some of their "get reward" events synced up with their "get achievement" events (TF2, for instance, does some of this, as do many other games I'm sure), but that really is, and should remain, up to them.
GusTheCrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
BigNutter

Would you buy Dr. Daisy Pet Vet if it gave you a "score?" http://store.steampowered.com/app/12580/

I heard that there is a "Music" game on X-Box who some people have purchased for the sole to get the 2000 points.. mainly as the score is that easy! According to some the people the person buying and playing the game don't even like the "songs" in the first place.

Sites like Raptr actually due tell you how many of it's Users have got the Achievement, and it shows you in the Order to most to least.

Personally I just like hearing this sound: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/image...ent_earned.wav

EDIT: Is it possible to get that sound to Trigger for Every Achievement pop up in Steam?
BigNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Stas823

Banned
I have moar acheevimeats, therefore I have a larger e-peen. That's the point of achievements.
Stas823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
enaktsb

Well hello there...
Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Johacamigames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrush View Post
The most recent trend this generation is achievements, it's optional for those that aren't in to them and addicting to those that do care like myself.. problem is that on Steam not many people really pay attention to them, some kind of reward for them would be great even if it's those rewards we're getting from crafting badges
Johacamigames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
inspiral66

This is probably a good place to mention astats for those that don't know about it. Claim your Steam ID and lose hours looking at your achievements and seeing how much they are 'worth'. There are other sites like astats but none that do it so well IMO.

While I agree with the OP I don't think we will ever see any kind of financial reward system being introduced, simply because of the existence of SAM.
inspiral66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
GusTheCrocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johacamigames View Post
The most recent trend this generation is achievements, it's optional for those that aren't in to them and addicting to those that do care like myself.. problem is that on Steam not many people really pay attention to them, some kind of reward for them would be great even if it's those rewards we're getting from crafting badges
In what way is that a problem?
GusTheCrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas