Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Lembit

How do I clear chat history?

So since this beta update's come out chat history has been implemented, but I can't find a way to disable it. Surely there should be an option for it somewhere, because you know, that's a sensible thing to have.

I like the other features in the update and wouldn't want to opt out simply due to this.

Can anyone help with this?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
GDL

I've not updated the client yet, but going off past history for Valve.

Options are not an option and these 'features' are forced on for all users.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Lembit

I've just deleted all Steam content and redownloaded and it's not locally stored. I can't even seem to opt out of the beta, so this is wonderful...
Lembit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
bluz74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
I've not updated the client yet, but going off past history for Valve.

Options are not an option and these 'features' are forced on for all users.
No one is forcing anyone to use it and it's a beta. If people supplied constructive criticisms instead of snide remarks, perhaps some of the changes can be made.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
ctb

Yeah, the 'unread chat messages' is unnecessary to me.
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Lembit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post
No one is forcing anyone to use it and it's a beta. If people supplied constructive criticisms instead of snide remarks, perhaps some of the changes can be made.
Under Steam settings, it says I'm not participating in a beta and I've tried to opt out, but can't. So I am sort of being forced here.

Tried again. Opted in and then opted out, restarted and the features are still there. This isn't optional it seems.

Last edited by Lembit: 01-24-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
aerundel

What is bothering you - just seeing the text, or knowing they're recording it? Whether or not you're in the beta, they'll have your chat history. I just updated and am seeing messages from clear back in December. I'd like locally stored logs for my own archives, but knowing that they're recording my chats doesn't bother me. The standard is to encrypt everything so that only the user can see their own content. It removes their liability just as much as it ensures our privacy. Do I worry about Google looking at my email, docs, etc.? No. There aren't enough employees to spy on everybody that uses the service.
aerundel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
plznote

Banned
Why so paranoid lol?
Everything you do is already being tracked, why should Steam be different?
plznote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post
So show\tell us how to disable it? I'm sure you know how right?

Constructive criticism for Valve it just walking away from your game collection and beta's normally get released.

Adding an OPTION for Valve is like asking a human to rotate their head 360 and still live, I'm sorry if you find my comments snide, but I find facts are hard to swallow for some people on here.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Lembit

I'm not concerned about being watched, as I know it happens all the time and it's not even as if I'm trying to hide anything. I just like to clear things once I'm done.

I always have web browsers set to delete history and search forms when they close, and MSN to never save chat logs. There isn't a logical reason behind it I suppose, but I like it to be that way.

Guess I'll have to live with it.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Slayer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lembit View Post
Under Steam settings, it says I'm not participating in a beta and I've tried to opt out, but can't. So I am sort of being forced here.

Tried again. Opted in and then opted out, restarted and the features are still there. This isn't optional it seems.
Try -clearbeta launch parameter.
Slayer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Lembit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer00 View Post
Try -clearbeta launch parameter.
I tried that before. No luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Fat Bob

Banned
It's pointless opting out anyway as we'll all be forced to accept it anyway soon enough...
Fat Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Satoru

If you want offline messages Steam HAS TO STORE THE CHATS. I'm not sure why people want A but then somehow expect B to not mystically happen either....
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
bluz74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post

Constructive criticism for Valve it just walking away from your game collection and beta's normally get released.
As far as I know, this last update is a direct result of user suggestions. User's just need to show a little patience while things are tested, checked, double checked, ect...

So if someone really wants to make a difference they can submit their ideas in a non-combative, constructive way, they will see more results.

As far as disabling it, I have no idea. I don't use the chat function to discuss my plans for world domination or the secret ingredient in my mother chicken soup, so I could care less about deleting anything. I'm sure it's there somewhere or it will be eventually.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips