Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
japanimater

Question [Linux Promo Confirmed]How To Temporarily Install Linux

On the heels of the news that TF2 will be getting a Tux promo that whoever logs in while in Linux will get.
http://screencloud.net/v/YI0 (From the Steam Translation Site, thanks to cyba89,http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=3072900 )
I felt it would help a lot of Linux noobs such as myself if we compile a list of easy and temporary ways to install Linux on our personal computers.

By temporary, I mean in a way that it doesn't replace the current OS with itself. Various ways I have heard of is dual booting, loading from a cd, and from a usb drive.

Additionally, I would like to ask of how, after the installation of Linux, to install and run Steam and TF2.

TL: DR. Linux Gurus and Veterans, please help us Linux Noobs.

Thank you.

Method#1 Thanks to sandman9601
1. Installing into a virtual machine is easy. VirtualBox is my preferred choice for Windows. Create a VM, install Ubuntu into that, install Steam, profit. Then just delete it. I'll guess it takes about 1.5 hours (1 hour to install VirtualBox and Ubuntu, 30 mins to download TF2). The VirtualBox defaults are pretty good, and if you know even a little about computers then it's easy to understand.

2. All you need to do is run textmode I bet, so a low-power system will probably work. Don't discount tossing Linux (or a VM) onto an old machine or even an Atom machine. I doubt Raspberry Pi will, though, as it's ARM-based. The TF2 code is x86. Unless there's a shim that lets x86 work on ARM, you're out of luck.

3. I've tried Linux on an i3 system (Intel NUC) and TF2 is actually pretty good on it. Turn down the graphics and run at 720p and it's playable. I also don't even know what video drivers I'm using, I bet with the latest ones (GMA or EMGD) I could get it to run even better.

4. If you're going to run textmode under Linux, here's a tip. The familiar text console that you see with Windows will *not* show up, but the game will still run (you just won't see anything). If you need the console then open up a terminal window and start Steam from there. That window will be your textmode window for TF2 (along with plenty of Steam output).
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Method#2 Thanks to cyba89
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

Method#3 Thanks to Suspicious
I'll note that it's possible to fit Linux distributions onto a USB stick, but to fit Linux, the Steam client *and* TF2 I suspect you'd need a pretty decently large flash drive.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Method#4 Thanks to bigcow200
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer
once the installation is done restart the PC
and it will automatically start linux
if you want to switch back to windows restart your pc
again and this time you get to choose between Windows and linux
and if you dislike linux you can simply uninstall it after getting the misc

Q&A
Q1-ViddyBones:Will virtual box uninstall cleanly or will it affect my computer's performance afterwards?
A1-Shlamalama:no, its just running the other os in the "matrix"...

Q2-Snyphurr:I've heard Ubuntu isn't very user-friendly if you're not familiar with Linux. Is there a "baby's first Linux...?"
A2-Rickenlotus:Ubuntu is actually exactly that.

Q3-hawkshadow741:tried downloading the steam installer, how do you install it there are no applications for running it
A3-MESA_:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valve

Q4-hawkshadow741:right, then show me the "How to uninstall" guide on that website. All the other guides I've seen say that uninstalling Linux makes it impossible to start up your computer, since you have to choose Windows Vista/7/whatever or Ubuntu
A4-danharibo:If you use Wubi, then it just uses the Windows bootloader instead of installing it's own. People thing that "Uninstalling" Linux breaks their computer because they also delete the new bootloader meaning they can't choose which OS to boot. When you use Wubi, there's no new bootloader installed so it's much easier to remove it entirely if you don't want it.

Q5-...:So I went ahead and opened/played TF2 on my account using Linux. Why didn't the new promo drop for me?
A5-...:The item has not been released yet. Valve is now just trying to get that Linux Promo message translated in as many languages as they can before starting the event. However, it wouldn't hurt to get Linux set up now to save yourself the headache of doing it during the rush.
Q6-...:After installing Linux, can I just transfer my Steam and TF2 files or do I have to re-download them all over again?
A6-...:Sadly you will have to redownload them both from within Linux so their files can be allocated to the correct locations according to Linux's file structure.
Q7-...:Okay, so I installed Linux, Steam, and Team Fortress 2, but when trying to start up TF2, I get an error message, what do I do know?
A7-japanimater:In some instances, it will still register on Steam's servers that you played the Linux version of TF2, even if you didn't get to the opening Valve screen. Open TF2 on your Steam account from a computer that let's you. You may still get the Tux.

Please don't forget to rep the person whose tutorial you used that worked.

Last edited by japanimater: 02-15-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
aabicus

I did it for a class, dont remember it being that difficult. Find the version you want (Ubuntu for example), choose to allocate some gigs (I think I did 30?) Install it and and whenever you turn on your computer choose which OS to boot up.
aabicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Snartleflush

I have no idea if it will work, but there is a program called virtualbox that sets aside mart of your memory to run a second OS on

EDIT
here's a link
https://www.virtualbox.org/
It looks promising--I've used it before, but never for linux

Last edited by Snartleflush: 02-05-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Snartleflush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Sentries

Use virtual machine.
Sentries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
wab

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentries View Post
Use virtual machine.
^ This ^

Then just copy paste your TF2 files from your Windows/Mac and let steam download the necessary linux files to launch the game.
wab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
cyba89

Heres a good tutorial: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox
cyba89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Nomad Trooper

I load linux off a tumbdrive now and then.
Nomad Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
ViddyBones

Will virtual box uninstall cleanly or will it affect my computer's performance afterwards?
ViddyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
A Ghost

Nope, not gettin' outta this chair.
A Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Snyphurr

I believe another bump is merited, as I too want to know how to do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aabicus View Post
I did it for a class, dont remember it being that difficult. Find the version you want (Ubuntu for example), choose to allocate some gigs (I think I did 30?) Install it and and whenever you turn on your computer choose which OS to boot up.
This sounds interesting! I've heard Ubuntu isn't very user-friendly if you're not familiar with Linux. Is there a "baby's first Linux" or something that you or someone could recommend? Something that Windows/Mac users would be semi-familiar with, at least visually?
Snyphurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Shlamalama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViddyBones View Post
Will virtual box uninstall cleanly or will it affect my computer's performance afterwards?
no, its just running the other os in the "matrix"...
Shlamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
mig0

how about link(s) to isos or similar such files pls? I've got an ubuntu VM in parallels but can't get tf2 to load, i figure maybe a new VM/source will work.
mig0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Rickenlotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyphurr View Post
This sounds interesting! I've heard Ubuntu isn't very user-friendly if you're not familiar with Linux. Is there a "baby's first Linux" or something that you or someone could recommend? Something that Windows/Mac users would be semi-familiar with, at least visually?
Ubuntu is actually exactly that.
Rickenlotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Dragu

Looks promising.
Saving this for later
Dragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Snyphurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenlotus View Post
Ubuntu is actually exactly that.
Good to know.
Snyphurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2