Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
cakefish

So what does DirectX 11.1 actually bring to the table? DirectX 12 predictions?

There are no games utilising DirectX 11.1 currently. Heck, DirectX 11 games are still few and far between, albeit finally on the rise. That is unlikely to change anytime soon as DirectX 11.1 is a Windows 8 exclusive and the rumoured 'next gen' consoles have DirectX 11 only architectures. However, it's fun to speculate! Is it mainly performance enhancements or are there any meaningful visual upgrades? Is it just there to make developers lives easier or are there any benefits to consumers too?

This is the list of new features. Kind of hard for the layman to decipher. What does actually mean in real terms?

Also, what are your predictions for new technologies that could form a part of the inevitable DirectX 12?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Nomad Trooper

Few games make good use of DirX 10, I feel they just keep making new versions to try and encourage people to use Win8.
Nomad Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Dоgs

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefish View Post
This is the list of new features. Kind of hard for the layman to decipher. What does actually mean in real terms?
It means what it says. There is no layman's equivalent for most of those things, because the layman (even typical gaming enthusiasts who like to pretend they know a lot about DirectX) does not have any meaningful competence in low-level programming, APIs and computer graphics.

Basically, the only real layman's way to put it is to say that "It lets developers do things they couldn't before, or do things in ways they couldn't before".

...But, I think this is one of the many reasons why 'layman' people talking about highly technical subjects like this is a rather silly thing for them to be doing in the first place.
Dоgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Warboss Choppa

The reason why we don't see many DX11.1 or even DX10 games is because most games are console ports which are all DX9 based games. The majority of DX11 games are games only for PC or PC games which are then ported to console like Metro or Crysis 2/3.
Warboss Choppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
darkradeon

note: you are talking about Direct3D, the 3D gfx API. DirectX was (since they are all now part of the Windows SDK), just a collection of multimedia APIs (including Direct3D) and tools.

Direct3D 11.1 adds 3d-stereoscopic functionalities, more general-purpose programming capabilities, some optimization for low-end GPUs (like IGPs and ARM devices), ARM support (note that most ARM device can run code only on feature_level_9_1 or feature_level_9_3 modes), enhanced WARP mode (that is a software emulation layer for D3D usually used in debugging) and other little optimizations.

D3D12 predictions: a decent and larger CB size limit (64KB is ridiculous), new texture compression filter (BC8 and BC9 anyone?), better (driver mandatory) multi-threading functionalities (a good multi-task library?), mandatory double precision support (maybe just for feature_level_12_0 ?), drastically reduced overhead (but I doubt it, it will requires a completely new driver model and probably a re-written of dxgi)

Last edited by darkradeon: 02-06-2013 at 01:52 PM.
darkradeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
blastmaster2k2

It doesn't add much we as gamers will notice. Neither does 11. I think it is stupid for Crytek to make crysis 3 a directx 11 exclusive on PCs, they're going to lose a lot of sales. I suspect they got paid to do it.
blastmaster2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Larry1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastmaster2k2 View Post
It doesn't add much we as gamers will notice. Neither does 11. I think it is stupid for Crytek to make crysis 3 a directx 11 exclusive on PCs, they're going to lose a lot of sales. I suspect they got paid to do it.
Why would they get paid to do it? nVidia/AMD trying to push out more GPUs? I doubt it. Crysis doesn't have the popularity it once had to really push people to upgrade their machines. I believe the latest machine pusher is the Battlefield series.
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
vashts1985

Quote:
who doesn't have at least a fermi or ati/amd equivalent?

and for that matter, who still uses a dual core processor?
vashts1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
0xiDIzE

Banned
Quote:
Are you kidding? DirectX 9 to DirectX 11 is night and day. I just started playing Sleeping Dogs recently, and it's like watching a movie that I'm controlling. Not even mentioning the goosebumps I get from Metro 2033's insane level of detail. You can clearly see the damn threading on a rifle barrel.

The Crysis 3 beta looks incredible as well. I won't be buying the game because CryTek failed big time in a lot of aspects pertaining to Crysis 2, and it's Origin-exclusive, but the numbers clearly show that a majority of gaming PCs being used right now are DX11-capable.

As for DX11.1, though, it doesn't change anything significant. The fact that Microsoft's own Xbox 720 won't even be using it speaks volumes. It's as pointless as Windows 8 itself.

Last edited by 0xiDIzE: 02-06-2013 at 06:40 PM.
0xiDIzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Semaphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashts1985 View Post
The majority of people on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Semaphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
vashts1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semaphia View Post
more like half
vashts1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
IcarusNine

Quote:
more like half
Which is the majority.
IcarusNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semaphia View Post
Lets face it the economy is crap right now. A lot of people can't afford to upgrade their PC or they would have done it a long time ago.
Soulwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
ACJCLIGHTNING

Quote:
who doesn't have at least a fermi or ati/amd equivalent?

The vast majority of people...... for that matter, most people, according to that steam survey, dont have DX11.

Also, according to that survey, the most popular card is a HD 3000. good enough for crysis 2 on low, but crysis 3 being only dx11 will hurt them.

As for the dual core argument, very false. I can garentee more then the 50% of people on their use dual cores for gaming. OR... They are using amd quad cores, which are often worse then intel dual cores.
Im only an expert on laptops, but
amd A10-4600M quad @ 3.2 Ghz
is the same performance as
Intel core i3-2310M dual core @ 2.1 Ghz.

Considering the actually very big popularity of amd A series processors in laptops, due to their cost vs performance(same reason people like intel dual core i5-xxxxM's when they are on a slightly higher budget), that "Dual core" number could go up if your just basing it on performance. Not sure on the amd desktop situation, but amd really dropped the ball on thier mobile processors, aside from the ones competing with intel atoms like the C and E series.

Anyways, its safe to say that most people are on the equivilent of dual cores.

Crysis 3 is loosing possible customers by being exclusively dx11. If it had included DX10 suppport, but not DX9, I could understand, but now alot of people that havent needed to upgrade from their Geforce 285s's would need to spend several houndred dollars to play it well.
It was a bad design desision, especially in the wake of the terribad dx11 of crysis 2, but what will we do.

As for the Beta, Its pretty ridiculous. The graphics it gives should not be causeing the performance it gives. Its pretty much crysis 2 with less blur on the screen. Now I know alot of that is lack of drivers, but it really shouldn't be that bad.
Also, where are the ultra settings? If this is it then I am thuroughly dissapointed with its graphics. It definitly doesn't look like the trailers with the fancy grass and water effects.
Unless they up the graphics soon without hitting the performance to much, then this is looking to be a crappy game in terms of graphics. I will probably buy it on sale, but just for the single player.

I think anyone who claims that the graphics are "Better" then crysis 2 are out of their minds. Unless they up the graphics to be like the trailers, Im not impressed.

Last edited by ACJCLIGHTNING: 02-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
ACJCLIGHTNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
masterchef341

DirectX is a graphics API. It is a feature for programmers and developers. It doesn't bring much of anything to the table for end users directly.

Last edited by masterchef341: 02-07-2013 at 07:20 PM.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic