Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Old 02-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
emisan

A Guide to Recovering Save Files (Gamertag Change, Reformat, Retail->Steam, Etc.)

I've been meaning to write this up for a while, and finally found the time. This guide is meant to help restore saves that have been lost due to a change in gamertags, system reformat, go from offline to online profile, or who knows what else. Please note that this method will ONLY work with Arkham City. It won't work with other GFWL games, not even Arkham Asylum.

Note: Your game must have the second patch (released in April 2012) installed in order for this method to work. If you have the original Steam or retail version, then GFWL should have prompted you to install the patch. If you have any GOTY version then there's nothing to worry about as all of the patches are already included.

Step 1: Locate your save(s). The location of your save(s) depends on which version you have.

Retail Edition: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\SaveData\[USERID]
Steam Regular Edition: ..\Steam\userdata\[USERID]\57400
Steam GOTY Edition: ..\Steam\userdata\[USERID]\200260

The filename for the save also depends on what version you have.

Retail Edition: save0.sgd
Steam Edition: [USERNAME]-save0.sgd

Step 2: Back up your save(s). This is very important! Before doing any hex editing, be sure to make copies of your saves in case anything goes wrong.

Step 3: Start Arkham City, select an Empty slot, and start a new save. Make sure the autosave icon in the bottom right disappears, then exit the game. Check your save folder to make sure a new save file was created that corresponds to the slot you selected. "save0" corresponds to the first slot, "save1" corresponds to the second slot, and so on. Rename the save to "newsave.sgd" just so it's easy to identify.

Step 4: Download and install a hex editor. For the purposes of this guide, we'll be using Tiny Hexer (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/...ny-hexer.shtml) since it's free and easy to use.

Step 5: Open Tiny Hexer. Open "newsave.sgd," then open the save you want to restore. Click on Tools->Compare->Compare... to make the next step easier.

Step 6: In the "newgame.sgd" window, highlight (left click and drag the mouse cursor OR hold Shift and use the arrow keys) the bytes from the starting position (check the lower left corner for "Pos 0x00") up to and including " ..." (a space followed by 3 dots). This should correspond to around 0x0137, but it may differ by a few bytes depending on which version of the game you have. The important thing is that the final 4 bytes highlighted are " ..." The bytes should now be highlighted in black. Right click and select Copy.

Step 7: Now go to the save you want to restore and highlight the bytes from the beginning up to and including " ..." Once the bytes are highlighted, right click and select Paste. Now save the file that you want to restore (either press Ctrl+S or go through the File menu).

Step 8: Depending on what you're doing, rename the file as appropriate. For example, if you're trying to transfer a retail save to Steam, rename the file from "save0.sgd" to "username-save0.sgd" If you changed gamertags, rename from "oldusername-save0.sgd" to "newusername-save0.sgd" Place the save file in the appropriate save folder, and it should now be readable by the game.

I hope the instructions are clear enough. If, for whatever reason, you still can't get the save to work, then please follow Steps 1-3, then upload the saves somewhere (preferably Mediafire or somewhere you don't have to register), and I'll be happy to do the conversion if/when I have the time. Post the links here, and please do not PM me because it will be ignored. Be aware that it may take a few weeks for me to respond.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
HitDeity

Although I have done my fair share of hex editing of this sort, it's nice to have it all written out in easy step-by-step instructions. That's how I had envisioned fixing any future savefile foulups if it ever decided to do it again to me.

I appreciate all the hard work you went about to figure all that out, however, as I never would have known it was even possible if you hadn't worked it out and told us about it.

So, thanks! It's nice having that little added security that I know I might be able to restore my saved games if this happens again.
HitDeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
A mars reject

Excellent info, is it possible to use something similar to this to transfer my original version save to the GOTY edition? (Just downloaded GOTY, haven't had time to experiment yet.)
A mars reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
emisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A mars reject View Post
Excellent info, is it possible to use something similar to this to transfer my original version save to the GOTY edition? (Just downloaded GOTY, haven't had time to experiment yet.)
Yes, it's definitely possible. I haven't tried it myself, but a few people have told me that they managed to transfer their original saves to the GOTY version using the method outlined above. Achievements won't transfer, though.
emisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
A mars reject

Yes, got my save to transfer, just copied it out of the original folder and put it in GOTY. Do you know of any ways of getting your achievements to transfer, or is that impossible?
A mars reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
emisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A mars reject View Post
Yes, got my save to transfer, just copied it out of the original folder and put it in GOTY. Do you know of any ways of getting your achievements to transfer, or is that impossible?
Ah, I guess Steam original -> Steam GOTY doesn't really need any hex editing as long as your gamertag and Xlive folders are the same.

As for achievements, there are, ahem, "managers" for achievements for both GFWL and Steam out there that you can use to just manually reunlock the achievements for the GOTY version.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Salahadin_PL

Hello i wanted to fix this but i don't know what's going on . Can't make new save in game but at least i have link with my save : http://uploaded.net/file/nel1o1dv , so bro help me
Salahadin_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
emisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salahadin_PL View Post
Hello i wanted to fix this but i don't know what's going on . Can't make new save in game but at least i have link with my save : http://uploaded.net/file/nel1o1dv , so bro help me
Please upload a new save, as well. If you press the Home key and GFWL isn't popping up, then it's a different issue altogether.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
#donCamillo

is there a way to recover lost savegames for other gfwl games like dirt 3, even though i had no problems with batman thanks a lot. i think it helps out many.
#donCamillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
Salahadin_PL

My bad , Used win rar to pack both files together
http://uploaded.net/file/pw0a6pc7
Thanks for answering i hope you can help me
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
emisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salahadin_PL View Post
My bad , Used win rar to pack both files together
http://uploaded.net/file/pw0a6pc7
Thanks for answering i hope you can help me
The good news is that there's still info in your old save. However, the new save you uploaded isn't a proper save. Try going into the game, select an empty slot, and start a new game again.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Salahadin_PL

I even played for 10 min , made new save and still save was deleted and i had to make new one again and again again . GFWL works fine i can see my account etc. but when i save game only new file is made but same info like the previous one that i uploaded i will try to reinstal game maybe it will work .

TLR Can't make proper save in game .( IT's fu**** up )

Last edited by Salahadin_PL: 02-20-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
HowlingLotus

Thank you for taking the time to type this up . I am planning to transfer all my game saves to a new PC which I will be building within the next few months. I have heard horror stories about GFWL and upgrading/transferring so it is nice to know I should be safe if I follow your guide.

Worse comes to worse I guess I have to play this awesome game over again to reach where I was .

By any chance does someone know an easy way to transfer Arkham Asylum to a new hard drive?

Last edited by HowlingLotus: 03-20-2013 at 05:13 PM.
HowlingLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
emisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingLotus View Post
Thank you for taking the time to type this up . I am planning to transfer all my game saves to a new PC which I will be building within the next few months. I have heard horror stories about GFWL and upgrading/transferring so it is nice to know I should be safe if I follow your guide.

Worse comes to worse I guess I have to play this awesome game over again to reach where I was .

By any chance does someone know an easy way to transfer Arkham Asylum to a new hard drive?
For Arkham Asylum and most other GFWL games, make sure you make a copy of your XLive folder (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft), and paste it to the appropriate folder on your new installation.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
TTTr96

I've tried to make some changes in my Batman: Arkham City save but the game keeps not detecting it. I had a retail box version (without DLC) and on the last Steam sale I bought BAC GOTY, but changes in HEX don't work. Game crashes, exits, doesn't detect the save or says it's damaged... Any tips?
TTTr96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City