Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
adamt89

Exclamation Steam Games Crashing on Windows 8

With the recent Steam application updates, I have been facing terrible issue with Steam. My computer overall has been messing up so bad that I had to reinstall my Windows 8 from a backup. Now that my Windows 8 is working I am facing one major issue, When I start up a game on Steam, I get a little pasted the game intro and my computer crashes by shutting down and then restarting, I am not getting any blue screens or windows errors. I am a computer technician and with after troubleshooting, this is what I am thinking, Steam is just having problems.

Now I would like to point out that I did recently replace my graphics card, I now have the Nvidia Gforce GT 630. When I first installed this graphics card, I installed the driver for Windows Vista and the card did work. I was able to play steam games and everythign was fine. About 2 days later, Steam had an update, which forced my steam to close and update. The very next day I had all of the issues. My computer would shut down and restart, sometimes not turn back on for quiet some time, and everything just was getting worse, I found my computer running very slow for the specs I have and nothing was adding up, well after I formatted my hard drive, I reinstalled windows 8 and restored my system image I made and my computer now is working well. I have not updated my graphics card since the restore. The only issue that I am having now is all of my games with Steam crashing my computer and making it restart. Now every time I see my computer restart from a crash, Steam has an update. Even when I shut down my computer on my own terms and restart it, I still see this issue. I checked my computers event viewer to see any application errors or hardware errors and all I see is Adobe CS5 issues, which has nothing to do with steam.

So attached is my system specs provided by the program Speccy.

So what can I do so that I can play my games from Steam without seeing crashing every time? I wanted to also point out that I am using the Western Digital Hard Drive, if that matters.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
PELUXA1

Where are you system specs attached???

Anyways, what you describe happened to me a like 4 years ago.

At first I thought it was the video card (it was a GTX 260) and thought it died. But the problem was one of my RAM sticks died.

To find out the issue, I removed one of the RAM sticks, turned on my PC and I was able to play any game without issues.

Turned off the pc, removed the RAM stick and put the other RAM stick, tried to turn the computer and didn't work. All I got were beeps...

Summary: Try checking your RAM...

Last edited by PELUXA1: 02-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.
PELUXA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
adamt89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PELUXA1 View Post
Where are you system specs attached???

Anyways, what you describe happened to me a like 4 years ago.

At first I thought it was the video card (it was a GTX 260) and thought it died. But the problem was one of my RAM sticks died.

To find out the issue, I removed one of the RAM sticks, turned on my PC and I was able to play any game without issues.

Turned off the pc, removed the RAM stick and put the other RAM stick, tried to turn the computer and didn't work. All I got were beeps...

Summary: Try checking your RAM...
Thanks for trying to help. I tested this out by installing different new ram chips in different ram bays, I get the same thing. Computer crashes and then restarts.

To further explain how I know that this is steam. I had the game Super Meat Boy for pc on my windows 8 and that opens up just fine. I then purchased the game on steam when it was discounted, and when I played the game on Steam, my computer crashes. So this has to be steam.
adamt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
adamt89

I was able to play steam games just fine with the same ram and graphics card I am using now. This happend exactly after steams beta to the this current version. So something is wrong with the Steam application. I have submitted a support ticket 5 days ago and have heard nothing back yet. I am a little jarateed that the Steam Support is taking so very long to respond to my question.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
adamt89

Here are some of my system specs:

Summary
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 2550K @ 3.40GHz 36 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 816MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LX (LGA1155) 25 °C
Graphics
E246W-1080p (1920x1080@60Hz)
Microsoft Basic Render Driver
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630
Hard Drives
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 (SATA)
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (SATA) 31 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS28
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date : 12/31/2012 3:13:27 PM
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC) Enabled
Notify level 2 - Default
Windows Update
AutoUpdate Download Automatically and Install at Set Scheduled time
Schedule Frequency Every Day
Schedule Time
Windows Defender
Windows Defender Disabled
Firewall
Firewall Enabled
Display Name Kaspersky Internet Security
Antivirus
Kaspersky Internet Security
Antivirus Enabled
Virus Signature Database Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus Disabled
Virus Signature Database Up to date
Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
jlevison

where you able to solve this?
Having a similar problem
Different hardware
Same OS
i7 920
6GB ram
NVIDIA GTX 275
jlevison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
KK_reborn

Well make sure you are installing the right video card driver for one. Don't use a Windows Vista driver on Windows 8.
KK_reborn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips