Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Zinzun

Steam scam?

I just received this by mail:

Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: xxxxxxxxx

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

The Steam Support Team
http://www.steampowered.com

I don't ask anything, so what is it?
My account is protected by Steamguard and I buy games only on Steam,Gamersgate or Greenmangaming.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Nekomancer

Well, someone, doesn't have to be you, requested that. Just to be safe, change the passwords of your Steam account AND especially your mail account.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
Epsilon

It's not a scam, i.e. that email is actually from Steam Support.

If you logout of Steam, from the login screen, you can go to "Retrieve a lost account" -> "I don't know my account name" -> "I remember the contact email address I used"

Then you can enter an email address, and it'll send emails to that address with the account name.

So you can see that because this can be done by anybody as it's from the login screen. So, that implies that somebody knows your email address and decided to type it into Steam. Which is probably not a problem, really. Could just be one of your friends being spectacularly bored.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Kidofthecentury

Seems legit.

It might have gone this way: someone forgot his login credential, tried to put his email address to recover his account name - but he did incorrectly and put yours instead, Steam warned you that someone tried to recover his login credentials using the email associated to your account.

As an additional security measure, remember to keep the passwords you use for Steam and contact email different and not reused anywhere on the internet.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
JFST

I have no idea but, Did you redeem a Steam key that were posted publicly (i.e. here on the forums on a giveaway thread)?
If so, if someone wants to activate it too after you, he will receive a message that that key is already used and he can check where has it been activated, and if he pressed the button you receive that kind of message (but he will receive nothing).

I am pretty sure this can be what happened, so it is nothing to worry about.

Last edited by JFST: 03-22-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Zinzun

Ah,I just give a code on a forum but it was already redeemed, so it must be that :|
Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
JFST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinzun View Post
Ah,I just give a code on a forum but it was already redeemed, so it must be that :|
If someone tried to redeem the key after you already activated it in your account, then yes, this is probably what happened.

Anyway, it is not a bad idea to change passwords from time to time, but i still think that what happened is what i said.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
TeKraken

Is search broken?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion