Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde

View Poll Results: What do you think so far?
Fudgin' love it! It's the best thing since fudgin'. 12 35.29%
Enjoy it. Good improvement over Dino Beatdown. 19 55.88%
Not for me, but not bad. 2 5.88%
Absolutely hate it. Everything about it sucks. 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
What do you think of the Multiplayer Beta? (so far)

Wave 3 should include everyone that has registered thus far as of 3:00pm US Central time today. Now it's time to see what you think!

Simply cast a vote on the poll or feel free to express your thoughts more below via comments.

Here is what Untold Recky thinks.

Here is my favorite armor and hat combo that I have spotted thus far.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
DuckOfDestiny

It's a massive improvement over the pile of crap you guys had released originally. I can actually join a server now! Not to mention the UI now looks like some thought was put into it and it no longer looks like something you find in a mod.

The only major disappointment for me so far is the optimization, however it's still in beta I guess.

Oh yeah, and higher resolution pictures on the loading screens please.
DuckOfDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Gorgoth

Yeah a scalable UI that adjusts to your resolution so you aren't stuck with low res images on a high res screen. If possible of course.
Gorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Sartekar

I see that the world dinosaurs are back in. And I must say, I love it.
It was that one thing that kept me from fully enjoying it. It was so nice to have them attack me randomly.

Securing an outpost took me a lot longer than usually, cause there were packs of raptors and compys attacking me constantly. It was very fun.
Also a nice way to earn extra credits.

Wish there were even more of them, though. Especially the compys, there should be packs of those little buggers
Sartekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
DeadlyCheese

i really enjoy it however when i host a match, people seem to get very high ping even though I've port forwarded and this doesn't seem to happen in other games. :S
DeadlyCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Fishychicken

The game over-all is a MAJOR improvement! Besides a few lag issues i find the game is extremely enjoyable ^^
Fishychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
jwvd1

great improvement, reliable servers, a lot of dino's
teamplay required, great
jwvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Brithus

Thumbs up Great Work!

The new Orion is significantly better than Beatdown considering for one this one actually works on my computer unlike the last one. However from the time I've played both, the game is much more fun and user friendly than Beatdown. Unlike Beatdown which was plagued by bugs, Horde suffers only from some weird little bugs like glitching into rocks you can only jet pack to and random frame tanking every now and then. (From my personal experience. Either way Beta is Beta.) The game obviously isn't perfect because lets face it nothing in this world is, but "Dino Horde" offers a very enjoyable coop survival mode and some very fun PvP modes. I will end this here as to not write a novel. This product is definitely worthy of praise.

Last edited by Brithus: 03-26-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Screwed Up
Brithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
@Brithus - I believe you mean 'but Dino Horde offers a very" at the end
DPrassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Scorpio27

Its a great game and the amount of improvements really shows the dedication Spiral had.
But I must ask if Conquest is returning (forgive me if this has been answered before as I must have simply not seen it)
Scorpio27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
jwvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio27 View Post
Its a great game and the amount of improvements really shows the dedication Spiral had.
But I must ask if Conquest is returning (forgive me if this has been answered before as I must have simply not seen it)
Conquest will return in a update, assuming spiral has money to keep working on ODH

DPrassel will most likely answer the same thing, but with more fancy words
jwvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
If it makes sense to do tons and tons of title updates (free content) for Dino Horde, we will. We have 6 already designed, outlined and ready to be developed. We are committing to at least 1 at this point and will confirm others as we progress. Title Updates add new weapons, dinosaurs, vehicles, game modes, maps, mechanics and more for the low price of FREE.

Otherwise it's on to our next game, 'ORION: Prelude'.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Morbid

Talking A novel or soemthing... (WARNING LONG)

I have been a fan of Orion: Dino Beatdown since the beginning. I think I was one of the very few people who actually enjoyed the original release. I used to play conquest every Friday night with my best friend. And then the update came, when conquest was replaced by Dino Survival. I was a little annoyed with the update as it not only removed the huge open worlds I had come to know and love, but it didn't really offer any compensation for the loss.

And so I waited for Title Update 002, which at the time Spiral had been promising would be out very soon. And so I waited. I still played ODB most Fridays with my friends, and we still had a lot of fun with it, even though it was a shadow of it's former Conquest-y self (In my opinion).

Then came the news almost 6 months since Spiral had seemed to do anything (Although they had been, I just never go on Facebook), they announced that Orion would be getting a major overhaul update, to the point where it would be fair to say it was a brand new game. I watched that trailer at least 10 times that day, looking for every little detail that I could find out about the game. Within minutes I had signed up and was yelling at all of my friends to sign up to.

About a month later, I was accepted into Wave 2. I eagerly downloaded the update and jumped into the game. I decided to play solo Survival on Raupi. I started the game. The first thing I noticed was the overhauled graphics, the world around me looked amazing, especially for an Indie title. But I didn't allow myself to be breath taken for too long

I sprinted and flew over to the generator, and switched it on. What happened next was some of the most fun I'd had since Conquest. The AI, weapons, vehicles and environment all looked and felt amazing, and I had a lot of fun blowing up Raptors, Rhamphorynchi and my old nemesis Sally!

I didn't really bother looking into the Pvp for a while, not until David urged me to play it the next morning. And so I did. I played for hours :P. The gameplay was well thought out and fairly well balanced, even if the pesky Dilos seemed to go after one team! Ok, I know that this has gotten very very long for just a reaction, so I'll summarize the next 10 pages.

Orion: Dino Horde is a lot of fun, and a major improvement over the original release in almost every aspect; graphics, worlds, dinosaurs, game play, you name it! This coupled with the fact that spiral STILL promises free downloadable content makes this probably one of the best indie games you'll buy this year! Thanks for a great year Spiral and good luck with whatever you pull from beneath your belt next!
Morbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
sekhu

David from the bottom of my heart, thank for you finally making DinoHorde the game DinoBeatdown was supposed to be.

We've hit some bugs which I'll post separately, however, we fired it up today for the first time since we all had a few hours to kill, and lo and behold we played for 2-3 hours, with trepidation because we were disappointed that the potential of the first game hadn't been initially realised.

I haven't been overly critical of the game anyway, as I didn't think it fair until the promised updates were released. I played a bit of TU1 and was unimpressed and played that for 10 minutes maybe?

The beta has strengthened my belief in the potential for this game, and it's huge fun!

We first played on medium, I think we lasted 3 or 4 rounds before we died. We tried again thrice on medium, we just weren't ready for the onslaught.

However, on easy, yeah we had a lot of fun. Not that it wasn't fun on medium, it just tanked us all without the amount of damage we were taking, and we weren't expecting so many NPCs on screen at once.

So we whacked it down to easy, sure, but just to get a taster for it, I think we'll play medium from now on at least. It's tough, but oh what a fair challenge. Man vs Dino.

Seriously David, you've exceeded my expectations and that of my friends, we all agreed the major factor in the game that we concluded was that it was: "Fun". And that's what I was looking for from this game.

It never felt tedious, it never felt against the odds, except that when we only had 60 seconds to purchase items and upgrades. If you're a fair distance from the generator, or base camp 60 seconds isn't too much time, because there's lots of stuff to consider buying. In reality you only have 30-40 seconds to buy goods. If you start with nothing in the first round, then yeah, 60 seconds is a long time to wait for nothing to happen.

Anyway, I'll save the feedback on it for the other threads. Just want to say THANK YOU FOR STICKING BY US! I believed in you guys, and you've come true. But please don't stop at this TU, I know you have other priorities like Prelude, but honestly, this game has so much potential to expand.

Limited by 4 maps though the game is so far (how many will be in the final?) it is fresh because you have different objectives to carry out. I could potentially see this becoming tiresome because its object a or b (a protect generator b capture point), maybe do both so the team has to split up? You must bring conquest mode back, that was a mode with a lot of potential and can finally be realised. Honestly, I think that's the only thing missing from MP, the Rampage mode is fine, it's fun, but an expanded coop with conquest mode would be the icing on the cake.

thanks again for coming through on your promise.

PS: Any chance I can have another two "family members" join wave 3? I've bought them copies but after wave 3 was announced, and we'd love to play today if possible with all 5 of us.
sekhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
Thanks for ALL of the great feedback guys, it means a lot and it's great to hear what you think AND enjoy about the game so keep it coming.

The good news is that there are going to be two types of game updates for 'ORION: Dino Horde':

Spiral Updates (Spiral Store / Map Variants)
These updates are estimated to occur roughly every two weeks and will add new items to the Spiral Store AND new map variants.

"Map Variants" are fresh takes on EXISTING levels. Each map has potential of creating 4 variants (7x4 = 28 maps).

For example, the first one that is planned is the Raupi level but in a dense night time setting. While it's the same layout and level it feels completely different with the lighting and fog adjustments.

You can see "Evil Raupi" (night Raupi) here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdkt5CYcoA

Regarding Title Updates
We are VERY much ready to put out a bunch of (FREE) Title Updates post-launch. We are currently committing to one already. These Title Updates will be slightly smaller in scale compared to the ambitious (and often delayed) 'ORION: Dino Beatdown' title updates.

Each 'ORION: Dino Horde' Title Update would roughly include (each):
  • 1 new game mode.
  • 1 new dinosaur.
  • 1 new weapon.
  • 1 new vehicle.
  • 1 new cooperative map (survival).
  • 1 new competitive map (all others).
  • 10 new achievements
  • +variety of other small fixes and tweaks.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde