Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Larry1212

Reformatting Windows 8 laptop?

My friend's laptop(ASUS) crashed and won't boot to Windows anymore. Windows 8's "Automatic repair" tool will just loop or hang after repairing disk errors or the computer will just BSoD.

Her laptop didn't come with a Windows 8 CD and there doesn't seem to be any CD key for Windows 8 shown in or on the box, the manual, on the laptop or under the battery panel. The laptop was bought brand new from PCWorld with a one year warranty(Laptop is less than six months old!).

I brought the laptop back to PCWorld and they want to charge €65 to reformat the hard drive and wouldn't offer the Windows 8 media even upon requesting it and showing a receipt for the €600 laptop. They were less than helpful to say the least and insisted they either straight up reformat the laptop without investigating the problem further, charging €65 for it or i'm out of luck. I told them to basically shove it and i'd reformat the computer myself. Problem is with no CD or way to view the Windows 8 activation key it's been a pain in the to reformat or even boot into Safe Mode(Why the would Windows 8 require you to boot into windows to boot into Safe Mode????).

If I get a Windows 8 CD or boot from USB and reformat the laptop will I have to give the CD Key again or will it be detected automatically(I'm guessing it's tied to the motherboard and Windows 8 will scan for this)?

Last edited by Larry1212: 04-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
There may be a different method for different ASUS laptops, but I'm guessing they are the same.

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoot...Pv&os=&no=1775
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
If using the built-in recovery partition as suggested above does not work, try the following...

You can download Windows 8 from the Microsoft website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oduct-key-only

You will however require the Windows 8 product key that should have come with the laptop. Also, you will need to run the program on a computer that qualifies for the Windows 8 upgrade. The program will then allow you to download and create an installation disc, which you can use on the laptop.

It is a bit convoluted but as far as I know, that is the only legitimate way to download a Windows 8 installation disc without having to buy Windows 8 again.

Are you absolutely certain there is no Windows product key label on the laptop? Check underneath and also inside the battery compartment.

If it is a legitimate Asus laptop it should have one, unless your friend peeled off and discarded the label, in which case your friend is SOL and will have to purchase a new copy of Windows.

EDIT: ok, I've done a bit more searching and it seems that with Windows 8 PC manufacturers can embed the product key in the BIOS, so there is no product key sticker on the laptop. This means you won't be able to download a Windows 8 disc via the Microsoft website (unless you happen to have a Windows 8 key kicking around). If the recovery partition does not work, then your only recourse will be to contact Asus for a recovery disc, or to purchase a new copy of Windows 8. However, if the recovery partition doesn't work I would highly recommend running some hard drive diagnostics as you may have a defective hard drive. Defective RAM could also cause a no-boot condition.

Last edited by TheMG: 04-08-2013 at 09:29 AM.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
MADDOGGE

They should have provided you with an option to create a recovery disc even when they have a recovery partition. Are yo sure you didn't make one and put it aside somewhere you don't remember? At least every PC/laptop I've bought for myself or family members since they stopped providing recovery disc has had that option. Asus may be different. I've never bought one.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Larry1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotNdude View Post
There may be a different method for different ASUS laptops, but I'm guessing they are the same.

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoot...Pv&os=&no=1775
F9 brings up the option menu. I was looking for Windows Advanced Settings originally but this is much better and exactly what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMG View Post
If using the built-in recovery partition as suggested above does not work, try the following...

You can download Windows 8 from the Microsoft website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oduct-key-only

You will however require the Windows 8 product key that should have come with the laptop. Also, you will need to run the program on a computer that qualifies for the Windows 8 upgrade. The program will then allow you to download and create an installation disc, which you can use on the laptop.

It is a bit convoluted but as far as I know, that is the only legitimate way to download a Windows 8 installation disc without having to buy Windows 8 again.

Are you absolutely certain there is no Windows product key label on the laptop? Check underneath and also inside the battery compartment.

If it is a legitimate Asus laptop it should have one, unless your friend peeled off and discarded the label, in which case your friend is SOL and will have to purchase a new copy of Windows.

EDIT: ok, I've done a bit more searching and it seems that with Windows 8 PC manufacturers can embed the product key in the BIOS, so there is no product key sticker on the laptop. This means you won't be able to download a Windows 8 disc via the Microsoft website (unless you happen to have a Windows 8 key kicking around). If the recovery partition does not work, then your only recourse will be to contact Asus for a recovery disc, or to purchase a new copy of Windows 8. However, if the recovery partition doesn't work I would highly recommend running some hard drive diagnostics as you may have a defective hard drive. Defective RAM could also cause a no-boot condition.
Yeah, it's a bit weird to say the least. I'm under the impression the HDD is screwed. The Autorepair kept repairing errors on the disc whenever it booted up which could be a bug in Windows 8 Autorepair(Which i've read happened on release) or the HDD is just screwed. I do know she's had problems with it since she got it and Windows wouldn't update. It would just fail to update every time since day one. Also, by default or whatever way it was set up the System Restore partition is set to 75% of the hard drive.

One thing's for sure i'm going to download the appropriate HDD diagnostics tool and see if it's a faulty HDD or not. I kind of hope it is faulty so I can go back to the shop, tell them to fix it and that they owe me an apology for trying to make me(I was doing all the talking) pay €65 to perform a simple reformat. €65 for sticking a disc or USB in the computer and clicking a button to wipe the partitions then create a new one and install the OS? That's just shy of the price of a new OS! Robbery!!

The way they handle their customers is a god damn sham! Five months having the laptop, one years warranty and they have the balls to charge you for a reformat and not supply the OS on disc?! And then to try make you feel like you broke the computer because you didn't pay for their recommended PoS Norton Anti-virus?! Disgusting way to treat a customer especially when the computer is under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
They should have provided you with an option to create a recovery disc even when they have a recovery partition. Are yo sure you didn't make one and put it aside somewhere you don't remember? At least every PC/laptop I've bought for myself or family members since they stopped providing recovery disc has had that option. Asus may be different. I've never bought one.
I wasn't with her when she bought the laptop or started using it so I don't know if she created one or didn't bother. I heard Windows 8 prompts you to create a recovery disc or USB when you first start it up but she mustn't have bothered with it. When I went into the shop they blinked at me and said "They don't give us the CDs." I'll get the laptop off her tomorrow and create a recovery disc.
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
zezzex

if the hdd is dead, my guess is that asus support is pretty decent and they will replace it for you if it's still under warranty (you said it was).

So, check the asus website for warranty information.
zezzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Larry1212

The laptop still won't boot after using the ASUS Recovery option. I hate Windows 8. It's so annoying to troubleshoot! I can't even get into safe mode or the proper Windows diagnostics without the freakin' CD!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
zezzex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1212 View Post
The laptop still won't boot after using the ASUS Recovery option. I hate Windows 8. It's so annoying to troubleshoot! I can't even get into safe mode or the proper Windows diagnostics without the freakin' CD!
your frustration has nothing to do with windows 8 but the fact that a cd wasn't included with the laptop.

Best thing to do it to check asus support.
zezzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
fincher234

What is the specific model of the asus laptop?
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
HavocInferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezzex View Post
your frustration has nothing to do with windows 8 but the fact that a cd wasn't included with the laptop.

Best thing to do it to check asus support.
Recovery discs haven't been included with laptops since way back when Win 7 was the latest Windows. Pretty much all laptop manufacturers now have recovery partitions.

Though I still don't get how one is supposed to do anything if the HDD is screwed as Win 8 laptops don't come with a key written somewhere (they really don't).
Anyway troubleshooting with Win 8 is just as difficult as with Win 7, only that you might have to know (/look up) some hotkeys to not need the Win 8 settings app.
HavocInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Larry1212

Well, we tried reformatting it via USB and installing a fresh copy of Windows 8 on the machine but no dice. The same problems persist. I'm going to call ASUS tomorrow when I have all the documents with me(Model, series, registration #, etc.) and see what they have to say but it looks like the hard drive is bricked.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
danpebody2

Have you tried turning UEFI mode to legacy in the bios?
check here:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...able-uefi.html

Last edited by danpebody2: 04-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.
danpebody2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
UniqueName02

Have you tried asking Asus for the recovery media?
UniqueName02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
HavocInferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueName02 View Post
Have you tried asking Asus for the recovery media?
It's on the laptop's HDD. Though it seems the drive is broken so no recovery will be able to fix this.
HavocInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Larry1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocInferno View Post
It's on the laptop's HDD. Though it seems the drive is broken so no recovery will be able to fix this.
Yep. I called ASUS, told them exactly what was happening and they immediately told me to RMA it.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems