Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria

Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
1wolfblake

Talking Terraria 1.2

Is anybody else super exited for the 250+ new items!? Confirmed changes in Terraria 1.2
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
setzway

That is pretty great, since some of those were really needed(walk up 1 block) and others most fans were complaining about.(skeletons) I can't help but wonder if Spinks is intimidated by Starbound. Especially since Starbound is releasing (or Beta at least) near the end of this year.(June-November) This kinda feels like a publicity stunt IMO.

Still, if all those things become implemented Terraria would be able to pull another 10-50 hours from me. Thanks for the link.
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
wdcr0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by setzway View Post
That is pretty great, since some of those were really needed(walk up 1 block) and others most fans were complaining about.(skeletons) I can't help but wonder if Spinks is intimidated by Starbound. Especially since Starbound is releasing (or Beta at least) near the end of this year.(June-November) This kinda feels like a publicity stunt IMO.
Wait, you're saying a dev would throw away hundreds of hours of his life on a publicity stunt? Seriously? That doesn't make sense or sound reasonable.
wdcr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
FusedRage

Official forum post: http://www.terrariaonline.com/thread...-thread.96063/
FusedRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
setzway

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcr0ck View Post
Wait, you're saying a dev would throw away hundreds of hours of his life on a publicity stunt? Seriously? That doesn't make sense or sound reasonable.
Really? Throw away hundreds of hours on a single patch? Please don't hyperbole. Besides, logically it makes sense. Make game, continue to improve game, sales begin petering out, release expansion/huge patch, sales improve, create bugfixes for said patch, sales peter out again, decide you are "done" with game to move onto new game... roughly a quarter to a half of fanbase become enraged and sign off, other half sad game is "over". New game by "rival" dev team picks up steam and is nearing release, chances are most of disgruntled fans flock to this new game because old game is "done". Cue "So I'll be working on a new patch that will be bigger than the biggest one!...even though I said I was officially "done".

Think about it really, this new "bigger" patch would rekindle people flocking back to the game. This patch will also "probably" garner new players buying the game as well, thus he will gain additional profit. Then you also get into the position of gaining all sorts of speculation and hype..."Does that mean he will continue working on the game? DLC in the future? A Terraria 2?" etc. Which would then give you, at least, a standing chance against a "rival" game.

So yeah, seriously I think this is a publicity stunt/move. Andrew Spinks has proven he does this sort of stuff. One minute he's somewhat active, either tossing out tidbits and spoilers for "confirmed" content or alluding to other "unconfirmed" content. Then he begins slowly becoming less active and then...he goes dark, assuming he is working on the game non-stop. Last time he went dark, the last "we" knew was that he was working on the 1.1 patch's bugfixes and potential modding kit/utility. Then he comes back and states that he is "done with Terraria as it would only have sideways progression." and that he was going to take a break and work on a new project. Then he goes dark...then a couple of months later cue "patch 1.2".

Call me pessimistic but I bet he'll drop 1.2 maybe stick around for a bugfix or two then we'll hear about some new project of his. As I said, it's great that he IS adding more content(even though it seems like he's pawning off old content as new) and adding in features players have wanted from the get-go(rain/weather, walking up 1 block) as I really enjoyed Terraria.

Last edited by setzway: 04-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
pso_zeldaphreak

Quote:
-snip-
Firstly, you use far too many quotes, most of them completely unnecessary. Also, I wouldn't doubt that much time put into a content patch.
pso_zeldaphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
setzway

Quote:
Originally Posted by pso_zeldaphreak View Post
Firstly, you use far too many quotes, most of them completely unnecessary. Also, I wouldn't doubt that much time put into a content patch.
Firstly, I only use quotes on things that are ambiguous, easily interpreted differently or quoting/paraphrasing what Spinks has stated. To many times people immediately pounce over something because they think I am being literal with things like "The game is over." and such.

Secondly, I never doubted he spent legitimate time on this upcoming patch. If anything, he probably saved himself some time with things like the old armors coming back or the old sprite for skeletons. They are probably easy to re-implement since they are already done. However things like being able to walk up 1 block and weather effects would be significantly more difficult.

Bottom line I'm happy it's getting features that, IMO, should have been in from the beginning. I just feel that this new patch, coming after he said he would no longer work on Terraria, is a little more than a mere coincidence now that Starbound is taking pre-orders. It could be just a mere coincidence or perhaps Spinks has decided to do more with Terraria.

Last edited by setzway: 04-28-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
turtlesoup

Quote:
Call me pessimistic
let's not get carried away here. if there are more sales to be had, why can't we just leave it at that? we can assume that if it did well on the consoles, more can be put back into the steam release, and more people will buy the game if more content is added, that's enough motivation to keep working on it. not sure what the point of name dropping is here, or why it should have anything to do with starbound.

trash like this is why devs are so reluctant to get in touch with users. everything has to be personal, you make it sound like you're still paying for a subscription or something. 1.1 was followed by more content and bugfixes btw, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. that's 2 additional patches, get your version history straight. I would hardly call that "going dark" or sudden in any way, especially since we were told exactly what was going on. seems no matter how he broke the news there's still going to be grief about it.
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
setzway

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
let's not get carried away here. if there are more sales to be had, why can't we just leave it at that?
I can and did...I even said I was happy for him adding in more stuff and working more on Terraria as I have always felt it had more potential then what he thought.

Quote:
trash like this is why devs are so reluctant to get in touch with users. everything has to be personal, you make it sound like you're still paying for a subscription or something.
What are you even talking about? I was merely explaining my thought process as to why I feel this patch/expansion feels like a publicity stunt in response to wdcr0ck. Like I said, it just seems a little bit more than a coincidence that Spinks is coming back to the game, right around the time Starbound is releasing. Of course it probably is a coincidence, since the console Terraria has been selling well AFAIK. Obviously Spinks wants to see if he can get additional money from Terraria, perhaps for his new project.

Quote:
1.1 was followed by more content and bugfixes btw, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. that's 2 additional patches, get your version history straight. I would hardly call that "going dark" or sudden in any way, especially since we were told exactly what was going on. seems no matter how he broke the news there's still going to be grief about it.
Patches that were bugfixes, and what do you mean I need to get my version history straight..I DID say "the last "we" knew was that he was working on the 1.1 patch's bugfixes and potential modding kit/utility.". Which we did. Then he really wasn't active at all and people began wildly speculating what was going to happen. Then people saw on twitter Tiy leaving, meaning Spinks was all alone. So yes, he did indeed "go dark". As we only knew they were working on a patch...Then we get his departure from Terraria.

Obviously you seem biased towards anyone who doesn't have a nonchalant attitude of "yeah Terraria's over, oh well." I completely understood why he wanted to leave Terraria and work on something new. Granted I didn't agree with his sentiment of "sideways progression" and I also didn't like how he would not release source code to allow modders to have an easier time integrating mods. Yet I didn't care it was over. The only thing that irks me is the fact he said he was done and wanted to move on. Then the console side starts selling well and he is coming back. Just kinda leaves a sour taste. I'm curious how he will implement the changes he wants and if they will be reflected in the console version. I think he'll have a hard time, especially since he mention he wants to change how Hardmode works.

As an aside. lol @ calling me trash. If you'll see my post history with Terraria I defended Spinks and Terraria on multiple fronts, even on their main forums. The only thing I got fervent with was how he handled everything, because it seemed "shady" to me. Other than that I've always loved Terraria.

Last edited by setzway: 04-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
randomanon

I am excited about the new content.
Simply love this game.
I paid less then 10 $ for the 4-pack and the game is going to get a big content update.
Actually I do not care about the circumstances.
It is not really new, that people turn 180 degree, especially if they can turn a profit out of it.
My water is boiling for tea...

Cheers :-)
randomanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
Wardiaper

I don't even remember how many copies of this game I bought for myself, family, friends. I can't believe how much additional content this game has gotten since release for free and now 1.2 coming.

Has any game seen this kind of support for this long without it being paid DLC? The game has been $9.99 since release or as low as $2.50. Most DLC for games cost the same or more than a copy of this game cost. The game is great, the support it has seen is unbelievable nowadays. He didn't have to do 1.2. He could have started work on Terraria II and no one would blame him. I got way more than my $10 worth of gaming from Terraria and loved every minute of it.

Starbound may be the greatest next thing with the artist from Terraria working on it, but the programmer Andrew Spinks is the one I'm excited to see what his next project is after Terraria.

I bought a copy of Terraria for PS3 on release just because it's Terraria. I'm surprised how well it plays considering a mouse is so important in the PC version. It's not as fast (or I'm not doing it right yet), but really nice job on the PS3 controls.

Last edited by Wardiaper: 05-10-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Wardiaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
setzway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardiaper View Post
I bought a copy of Terraria for PS3 on release just because it's Terraria. I'm surprised how well it plays considering a mouse is so important in the PC version. It's not as fast (or I'm not doing it right yet), but really nice job on the PS3 controls.
Yeah how does it play? If you care to elaborate that is. I got the demo on the Xbox 360, but it lets you play for like 5 minutes, which is just enough time to finish the tutorial. I'm also curious about navigating the crafting lists and what sorts of "new" items they put in that are not currently in the PC version.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
Wardiaper

Quote:
Yeah how does it play? If you care to elaborate that is. I got the demo on the Xbox 360, but it lets you play for like 5 minutes, which is just enough time to finish the tutorial. I'm also curious about navigating the crafting lists and what sorts of "new" items they put in that are not currently in the PC version.
Honestly, I don't get much gaming time, but from what I've seen so far -

- I didn't think you could do a mouse cursor adequately, which is so important in this game. The right stick has a toggle - click it once and you can place the cursor anywhere around you within a few blocks (like one block down and one block in front of you). Then as you walk along you dig down. This is the cursor mode you need to build above your head reliably. The other toggle is sort of a smart cursor. If you walk straight ahead using your pickaxe, it will highlight one of the 3 blocks in front of you and you can dig a straight and level tunnel by just holding forward and digging (and it's faster to dig a straight tunnel this way than even the PC). Works really well. If you have your ax selected around trees, it will try to highlight the base of the tree so you don't leave a stump. You can move the cursor in this mode manually, but it snaps back if you let go of the joystick, but with slight pressure you can put the cursor anywhere around you pretty well.

- The menus are pretty similar to minecraft for xbox. Hit a button to bring up menus and front buttons (L1/R1 I think? it's been a while since i played) to move between menus. It's a little cumbersome, but I think if you put some hours into it, it will become second nature.

- The new content I hear is new armor sets and a few bosses, but I really don't know about that.

I was just surprised how well the controls work. They aren't ideal, but that's because it's not mouse and keyboard, but it is better than I thought it would be and I am a huge game controls freak - if a game controls bad it ruins what could be a great game.

The game has some slowdown compared to the computer version, not much but you can see a little stutter now and then.

One day I will sit down and put some serious time into Terraria PS3. It plays a little slower for me because it takes a little longer to point at what you want to work on and toggle the cursor mode with R3, but it feels really good, just a little slower working.

Money well spent for me - It's Terraria in all it's glory on a console!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
chairsgotoschoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardiaper View Post
Honestly, I don't get much gaming time, but from what I've seen so far -

- I didn't think you could do a mouse cursor adequately, which is so important in this game. The right stick has a toggle - click it once and you can place the cursor anywhere around you within a few blocks (like one block down and one block in front of you). Then as you walk along you dig down. This is the cursor mode you need to build above your head reliably. The other toggle is sort of a smart cursor. If you walk straight ahead using your pickaxe, it will highlight one of the 3 blocks in front of you and you can dig a straight and level tunnel by just holding forward and digging (and it's faster to dig a straight tunnel this way than even the PC). Works really well. If you have your ax selected around trees, it will try to highlight the base of the tree so you don't leave a stump. You can move the cursor in this mode manually, but it snaps back if you let go of the joystick, but with slight pressure you can put the cursor anywhere around you pretty well.

- The menus are pretty similar to minecraft for xbox. Hit a button to bring up menus and front buttons (L1/R1 I think? it's been a while since i played) to move between menus. It's a little cumbersome, but I think if you put some hours into it, it will become second nature.

- The new content I hear is new armor sets and a few bosses, but I really don't know about that.

I was just surprised how well the controls work. They aren't ideal, but that's because it's not mouse and keyboard, but it is better than I thought it would be and I am a huge game controls freak - if a game controls bad it ruins what could be a great game.

The game has some slowdown compared to the computer version, not much but you can see a little stutter now and then.

One day I will sit down and put some serious time into Terraria PS3. It plays a little slower for me because it takes a little longer to point at what you want to work on and toggle the cursor mode with R3, but it feels really good, just a little slower working.

Money well spent for me - It's Terraria in all it's glory on a console!
I also played it on ps3, while impressed it worked so great its still not nearly as good as having a mouse, keyboards not as important but they go hand in hand. that being said I don't know why they didn't have mouse and keyboard support since ps3 can use both. you can mod a mouse and keyboard to be act as a controller for ps3. would have been nice to have the option for the average Joe.
chairsgotoschoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Wardiaper

Was looking around today for news on 1.2 - Here's a little update on 1.2.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria