Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
drambit

Hijacked Account, No Response From Valve

Yesterday at around 1:30pm Central Time I accidently logged into a phishing website called Steamcomuunity.com or something along those lines. I didn't notice because the scammer told me to add his other account, and I'm used to mindlessly clicking those links, not to mention they did a good job copying the actual steam website, including the verification number.

Anyway, after the login didn't work, my steam account was immediately hijacked, and the scammer changed the password, and contact e-mail of the account, rendering me helpless.

Conveniently for me, all the man appears to be doing with stolen accounts is posting malicious links on the tf2 outpost, which my account was already banned from. Also on the lucky as hell side, NOTHING on my account appears to have been changed, so this isn't some sort of item crisis, just regaining control of my account crisis.

It has been more than a FULL DAY since I contacted steam support, and I have yet to receive any response.

Is there a very large queue right now, or is there some error on the support side? Either way I really want my account back and any help on actually getting a response from valve would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Previously Drambit. (Hijacked)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Ruptur3

A full day?

Woah.... if you lack the patience to wait a full day, 3-4 days to wait for a response is going to be a nightmare for you. You could of just searched the dozens of threads about steam support's response time instead of making a new one.
Ruptur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
~SW

48-72 hours is the average for support to get back to you. Provided that you wrote a clear concise ticket and followed the directions in the support article you'll get it back soon and be just fine.

Support article on reclaiming a hijacked account: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2347-QDFN-4366

However if you sent a wall of text at them with rambling stories of how you got hijacked and what you ate for breakfast that day and you favorite color then be prepared to wait.
~SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
MADDOGGE

As long as you followed the directions (the link ~SW posted above me)and provided all the required info and your ticket is understandable to support, then all you can do is wait. Though they usually try to handle hacked accounts first, it can still be 3-5 days til first response.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
zeroxxx

I, for one, hope Steam Support would put low priority for hijacked account due to phising. People need to put an effort into protecting their account better.
zeroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
CourierAl

Did you have steamguard running? If not, you should have invested time into doing so. It increases your account security so you won't get hijacked again by things like this. They'll have your Username and Password but can't get by verification, giving you enough time to change it again.
CourierAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Quemical

Using steam achievement cheats i see. No surprise you're lurking around phishing sites.
Quemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
ticklebeast

Since you openly claim your used to "mindlessly" clicking on steam community links , I'd say a good lesson to breach that safety net of yours. Be wary next time.
ticklebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
~SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourierAl View Post
Did you have steamguard running? If not, you should have invested time into doing so. It increases your account security so you won't get hijacked again by things like this. They'll have your Username and Password but can't get by verification, giving you enough time to change it again.
Naw, fake sites ask for the steamguard code now.

It doesn't matter how many locks you put on the door. If you're stupid enough to leave the key out, the extra security won't do any good.

The best solution to this is use any modern browser & take a 1/4 of a second to glance at your url bar. The real steam site is verified and has the appropriate security certificates which is indicated in your browser. The fake sites to not show up as secure and as such, the url bar will not indicate that it is a secure site.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourierAl View Post
Did you have steamguard running?
He did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drambit View Post
they did a good job copying the actual steam website, including the verification number.
Verification number = steamguard. Mock page captures login and password, sends them on to a password/e-mail change at Steam. User gets Steamguard mail as expected, enters it on mock page, which sends it on to Steam to confirm the password/e-mail change. User now no longer has control of his account.

Steamguard works fine, but if the user just enters it everywhere without double checking the address, well, then you might as well turn it off and save everyone the hassle.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
ticklebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quemical View Post
Using steam achievement cheats i see. No surprise you're lurking around phishing sites.
Ouch. Hans , how can one tell a person has been using achieved cheats?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Quemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklebeast View Post
By the time they were unlocked. If you see a giant batched unlocked @ the same minute, dead giveaway.

A lot did it in Poker Night 2, to get their TF2 and borderlands 2 items. Pretty sad.
Quemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklebeast View Post
Haven't checked Drambits profile, but the usual telltale clue is a bunch of achievements gotten at the same day and time, which is impossible to actually do in-game.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
ticklebeast

Quote:
By the time they were unlocked. If you see a giant batched unlocked @ the same minute, dead giveaway.

A lot did it in Poker Night 2, to get their TF2 and borderlands 2 items. Pretty sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
Haven't checked Drambits profile, but the usual telltale clue is a bunch of achievements gotten at the same day and time, which is impossible to actually do in-game.

Makes sense to me now , thanks guys.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
~SW

Quote:
Just a heads up if you play in offline mode & then connect to steam later the achievements you gained while offline sometimes will all unlock (seems to be hit or miss even between the same game).

So yea if its like 30-40+ achievements its safe that he cheated, but depending on the game getting 5-10 or so can be done legit.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips