Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Vattlot
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Reputation: 0
Posts: 4
Angry Steam games in "common" folder

So the other day , when i started tf2 , they asked me to do some sort of game conversion , and now all my tf2 files are in the common folder instead of at the directory "C:/Steam/Steamapps/username/team fortess 2/tf "

And now i can't even update my HUD , when i put the resource and scripts folder into the tf folder in the common folder , nothing changes in tf2

Help please , this has been happening for 3 days
Vattlot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
lostprophetpunk
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 967
Posts: 2,788
You have to convert custom files into VPK files.

Click the link below to follow a tutorial on how to get custom stuff to work with the Steampipe update.

Steampipe custom content tutorial
lostprophetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
seseorang
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 742
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vattlot View Post
[...]i started tf2 , they asked me to do some sort of game conversion , and now all my tf2 files are in the common folder instead of at the directory "C:/Steam/Steamapps/username/team fortess 2/tf "
That's not where Team Fortress 2 was installed. The actual location of TF2 was in the ~\Steam\SteamApp\ directory using cache files with the extension .GCF

The directory you point to is where the common files which are used were extracted to. You're pointing to a cache.

Of course, you know now that Team Fortress 2 is where every other game is listed - the "common" directory.

It will certainly make verifying files much easier as it doesn't have to read a cache before trying the file store.

If that cache file was corrupt and it existed, you would have problems that verifying alone would NEVER fix.
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Vattlot
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Reputation: 0
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostprophetpunk View Post
You have to convert custom files into VPK files.

Click the link below to follow a tutorial on how to get custom stuff to work with the Steampipe update.

Steampipe custom content tutorial
Thanks a lot! I was able to get my HUD working , but i have one last question . How do you use custom hitsound
Vattlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
PELUXA1
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 1258
Posts: 8,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vattlot View Post
Thanks a lot! I was able to get my HUD working , but i have one last question . How do you use custom hitsound
The same, just put the custom hitsound.wav in custom\*randomfolder*\sound\ui\

TF2 forum is full of these questions so you can check it for more info...
PELUXA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.