Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series

Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
FreemanForPrez

Far Cry 3 and Ziggy's Mod...

For a second or third play-through, try playing Far Cry 3 with Ziggy's mod, preferably the "hardcore" version of the mod on the "Master" difficulty setting in the game.
If you like a serious challenge, you won't be disappointed with that combination.

Note though that it would probably be almost impossible to play the game through the first time with the mod - I think you have to understand the game very well and be familiar with everything in it before even trying Ziggy's mod.

This mod goes a long way towards making FC 3 a much more immersive experience, as it removes a whole lot of the distractions in the game, and it also makes many things far more challenging, particularly where crafting is concerned.

But there's a full list of all the changes at the link above, and it's quite an impressive list.

Ubisoft should have done all this themselves and included it in the vanilla game, but it seems game developers have become frightened of making challenging difficulty modes or even so much as including them as an option....

Last edited by FreemanForPrez: 05-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
bluz74

I'm currently replaying it on the hard difficulty with everything turned off and I'm finding it very challenging. I'm too ascared to try that mod. Maybe if I ever play the game for a 3rd play through.

But if there is a mod for only shutting off action prompts and blinking objects only, I'd use it. Action prompts make me so mad I want to press space to mash my keyboard.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post
I'm currently replaying it on the hard difficulty with everything turned off and I'm finding it very challenging. I'm too ascared to try that mod. Maybe if I ever play the game for a 3rd play through.

But if there is a mod for only shutting off action prompts and blinking objects only, I'd use it. Action prompts make me so mad I want to press space to mash my keyboard.
Yeah, it may be a little too much for a wimp like you.

Did you check out the differences between the versions? I'm playing the hardcore version, 'cuz that's the way I roll, baby. but there's a lesser version for... for... people like you.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
B33 ENN

I was ready to ditch halfway through my first run and try out mods like this due to the amount of clutter and hand-holding they added this time around. However, much as you say, I was advised by others to play it all through at least once before attempting this mod.

I've finished my first story run, but I want to leave the game for a while to freshen up my senses before before coming back to experience it... as the NVidia guys say... the way it's meant to be played!
B33 ENN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33 ENN View Post
I was ready to ditch halfway through my first run and try out mods like this due to the amount of clutter and hand-holding they added this time around. However, much as you say, I was advised by others to play it all through at least once before attempting this mod.

I've finished my first story run, but I want to leave the game for a while to freshen up my senses before before coming back to experience it... as the NVidia guys say... the way it's meant to be played!
Yeah as I said, Ziggy's mod changes it all. Not the least of which being crafting, which is a real PITA at first, since you need *a lot* more items for everything. The problem is, you start out with a small rucksack, and really the first thing you need to do is get the stuff to craft a larger rucksack, however the limited capacity of the small rucksack makes it challenging.
And you'll have to make choices of what to keep and you'll end up having to fore-go perfectly good loot in order to keep the stuff you need for more necessary crafting.

What it does is provide far more incentive to hunt and loot, both animals and plants, since all things require a combination. But the additional crafting requirements are just one small part - the whole thing is far far more challenging, and I recommend the hardcore version for the ultimate masochistic FC 3 experience.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
DragonSlayer99

Well, generally, I like this mod, I installed the regular, non hardcore mod. And to be honest, it's nice to see a lot of things gone. Though it doesn't really make the game harder (Master).

I was enjoying it until I wanted to craft a weapon holster. Currently I'm just running mindlessly around the island to find a freaking boar, the ingredient. I'm actually bored of Ziggys mod now, not showing wildlife on the map was a very bad decision if you ask me. It doesn't make the game harder/challenging, just tedious.

Spoiler:
I'm back to FC2 now.

Also, what's the difference between regular and hardcore?
DragonSlayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer99 View Post
Well, generally, I like this mod, I installed the regular, non hardcore mod. And to be honest, it's nice to see a lot of things gone. Though it doesn't really make the game harder (Master).

I was enjoying it until I wanted to craft a weapon holster. Currently I'm just running mindlessly around the island to find a freaking boar, the ingredient. I'm actually bored of Ziggys mod now, not showing wildlife on the map was a very bad decision if you ask me. It doesn't make the game harder/challenging, just tedious.

Spoiler:
I'm back to FC2 now.

Also, what's the difference between regular and hardcore?
The differences between the two are all posted on the mod page, but in many ways hardcore is more challenging. For one, in hardcore you need even more items to craft things.
It doesn't really make the game harder, no, but if you didn't already know what to do, I'd say it would be virtually impossible to complete a game without having to resort to googling for answers.

I disagree that it was a bad decision to remove the animal icons. If you hadn't noticed by now, certain animals are always in certain areas. It's been a while since I played it and I can't remember exactly now where to find a boar, but I'm thinking there are some near the northeast side of the northern island. Back when I was playing regularly I had it all memorized more or less.

SO the mod makes you count on your memory and what you've learned - just staying true to its idea of removing all the hand-holding from the game.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
DragonSlayer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanForPrez View Post
The differences between the two are all posted on the mod page, but in many ways hardcore is more challenging. For one, in hardcore you need even more items to craft things.
It doesn't really make the game harder, no, but if you didn't already know what to do, I'd say it would be virtually impossible to complete a game without having to resort to googling for answers.

I disagree that it was a bad decision to remove the animal icons. If you hadn't noticed by now, certain animals are always in certain areas. It's been a while since I played it and I can't remember exactly now where to find a boar, but I'm thinking there are some near the northeast side of the northern island. Back when I was playing regularly I had it all memorized more or less.

SO the mod makes you count on your memory and what you've learned - just staying true to its idea of removing all the hand-holding from the game.
You think I'm gonna remember where the hell some freaking boars were? I don't have a live , but come on, seriously, one simply can't remember useless stuff like this. And I play it for the third time already. I ran around for like 3h already, just animals I don't need...that's not fun at all, I'm gonna check the original map, because I'm sure I won't find them that easy.

Last edited by DragonSlayer99: 09-05-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
You think I'm gonna remember where the hell some freaking boars were? I don't have a live , but come on, seriously, one simply can't remember useless stuff like this. And I play it for the third time already. I ran around for like 3h already, just animals I don't need...that's not fun at all, I'm gonna check the original map, because I'm sure I won't find them that easy.
Well if you don't like the mod, that's fine with me, but go complain to the guy who created it, not me.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
HitDeity

Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to mod the map back to having the animals on it....?

Or maybe contact the guy who made it (maybe he'll respond) and see if he has a version like that just lying around. You never know...
HitDeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
DragonSlayer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitDeity View Post
Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to mod the map back to having the animals on it....?

Or maybe contact the guy who made it (maybe he'll respond) and see if he has a version like that just lying around. You never know...
Nevermind, I'll use this and that for now.

Last edited by DragonSlayer99: 09-06-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
HitDeity

Thumbs up

Or that...good find.
HitDeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Porcupeth

Quote:

I was enjoying it until I wanted to craft a weapon holster. Currently I'm just running mindlessly around the island to find a freaking boar, the ingredient.
Having the same problem. I like the mod and it's definitely an improvement over the vanilla version but i've been going around for 2 or 3 hours looking for boars and not one in sight.
Porcupeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
supertzar

Should've played it with Ziggy's Mod on my first playthrough, cos certain things just pulled me out of that game, like the player movement, getting stuck on everything. As for the game itself, there's A LOT to collect and the story wasn't long enough to keep that meaningful. There's just no way you could be short on cash in this game, so the loot chests and relics collecting became a needless grind.
supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
FreemanForPrez

There are many boars near and around that farm on the main island

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series