Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Stealthbr

CS:S - Unable to find gameinfo.txt

Hello everyone! Every since the SteamPipe update, I have been trying to use the tools in the SDK and they simply will not work. I have read the main thread discussing the beta release for the new SDK tools for Orangebox games like CS:S, and yet I can't seem to launch the tools. I keep getting this message: http://imageshack.us/a/img819/3782/xu07.jpg

I have tried running the .bat files in my common/Counter-Strike Source/bin folder but I always get this message. I have not made any modifications to my Counter-Strike: Source. I have verified the integrity of my game cache. I have tried running the tools in administrator mode. None of these have worked. Please, help me for I wish to start making skins for Counter-Strike: Source once more.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
gulliwog

Did you actually try doing what it says in the error message? I.e running vconfig.exe in common/Counter-Strike Source/bin, and setting the launch options with "- game Drive:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Source/cstrike"?

I had basically the same problem with studiomdl in L4D2 recently and following those steps eventually sorted it out.
gulliwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Stealthbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliwog View Post
Did you actually try doing what it says in the error message? I.e running vconfig.exe in common/Counter-Strike Source/bin, and setting the launch options with "- game Drive:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Source/cstrike"?

I had basically the same problem with studiomdl in L4D2 recently and following those steps eventually sorted it out.
That's the thing though. There is no vconfig.exe in that folder.
Stealthbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Stealthbr

Anyone?? I just tried re-installing CS:S, but the same problem persists.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
gulliwog

If you have any other steam/source games installed (L4D2, Portal2 etc etc) then you can copy accross the vconfig file from their bin folder and use it - I am pretty sure its the same for all engine versions. Its also missing from my CSGO and DoD bins folders

For me in L4D2 one of the problems was it was looking for gameinfo.txt in the <game>/bin folder RATHER than looking in the <game>/<gameroot> (Counter-Strike Source/cstrike) folder...
Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
qUiCkSiLvEr

Volunteer Moderator
Can you run CSS as a game? If the gameinfo.txt file is really missing CSS won't run.

When you say you've verified the integrity of your game cache, do you mean for the SDK or for CSS?

Verifying your CSS game cache will restore a missing gameinfo.txt file.

If the GameConfig.txt file is messed up then that might be the reason you're having problems, you can try deleting it or rename it, then run Hammer and it will create a new one with (hopefully) all the correct paths.

You might need to edit the GameConfig.txt file to fix things, use Hammer or notepad.

gameinfo.txt for CSS should always be in the <drive>:\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike folder.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
qUiCkSiLvEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
gulliwog

I am not sure he said that gameinfo.txt was actually missing, just that vconfig.exe wasnt there.

Like I said (if I remember it correctly) in L4D2 I was having a problem because it was trying to find the gameinfo.txt file in my common/Left 4 dead 2/bin/ folder (where gameCONFIG.txt is found) and not in common/Left 4 dead 2/left4dead2/ where it it actually located. Running vconfig allowed me to tell it to use the correct directory.

Here is a dropboxed copy of my vconfig.exe that I think you can just paste into your Counter-Strike Source/bin folder and run:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmi5tff0akpnz3q/vconfig.exe
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
Cpt.Goomba

It's not the gameinfo.txt that needs to be edited, it's the gameconfig.txt
Also, no games need to have their gameconfig edited except for HL2DM.
Cpt.Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #9
gulliwog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Goomba View Post
It's not the gameinfo.txt that needs to be edited, it's the gameconfig.txt
Also, no games need to have their gameconfig edited except for HL2DM.
Nobdoy ever said it did need editing, but nevermind...
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Stealthbr

I have the GameConfig.txt file in my common/Counter-Strike Source/bin folder and the gameinfo.txt file in my common/Counter-Strike Source/cstrike folder, both not edited. CS:S runs just fine. My Source SDK from the Tools tab in my Steam Library is uninstalled since only the beta version is supposed to work now. I verified the integrity of my Counter-Strike: Source's cache.

I tried downloading and using your vconfig.exe but I got some weird error. I will download Portal 2 and copy/paste and see if that works.

Last edited by Stealthbr: 07-02-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
qUiCkSiLvEr

Volunteer Moderator
Try renaming your GameConfig.txt file to GameConfig.old and then run Hammer, it should create a new GameConfig.txt file with all the correct pathways in it.

One thing though, if you run Hammer in the counter-strike source\bin folder with no GameConfig.txt present, it will create a config with a bunch of games in it. You know this worked because Hammer will ask you to select one of the games.

Only the counter-strike source game will be correct though, all the rest are messed up and can be deleted from the GameConfig.txt file.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Stealthbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by qUiCkSiLvEr View Post
Try renaming your GameConfig.txt file to GameConfig.old and then run Hammer, it should create a new GameConfig.txt file with all the correct pathways in it.

One thing though, if you run Hammer in the counter-strike source\bin folder with no GameConfig.txt present, it will create a config with a bunch of games in it. You know this worked because Hammer will ask you to select one of the games.

Only the counter-strike source game will be correct though, all the rest are messed up and can be deleted from the GameConfig.txt file.
First of all, thank you for taking your time and trying to help me. With that said, I believe you are not fully understanding the issue at hand. Hammer actually is the only tool that opens (regardless if I rename my GameConfig.txt). I am having trouble executing the other .bat files, specifically the HLMV .bat file, which is what I use in the process of creating a Counter-Strike: Source skin.

As I have already previously stated, this is the error message that appears when I try using HLMV.bat: http://imageshack.us/a/img819/3782/xu07.jpg
I have reinstalled CS:S, I have verified the integrity of the game cache, I have not tinkered with any text files, I have opted into the beta via the beta tab in Properties. I have also tried installing L4D2 to obtain a vconfig.exe, but there is no such file in the L4D2-related folders. Also, there is no option for me to opt into the L4D2 sdktools_beta under the Beta tab in Properties.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
qUiCkSiLvEr

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthbr View Post
First of all, thank you for taking your time and trying to help me. With that said, I believe you are not fully understanding the issue at hand. Hammer actually is the only tool that opens (regardless if I rename my GameConfig.txt). I am having trouble executing the other .bat files, specifically the HLMV .bat file, which is what I use in the process of creating a Counter-Strike: Source skin.
Ah, that wasn't clear from your original post, thank you for clarifying that.

Interesting but I can run HLMV either by clicking on the exe or the bat and it runs ok and doesn't care if there is a gameinfo.txt file there at all. HLMV is licensed from chumbalum-soft, they make lots of good tools.

When you run hammer, if you look in the message box does it complain about anything? if so, copy that here.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Stealthbr

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/939/ff8z.jpg
Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
qUiCkSiLvEr

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthbr View Post
There is your problem, you still have the old path in your vproject.

to get yourself going, you can manually update this by:

1. click on system in control panel
2. click on advanced settings
3. click on Environment Variables
4. scroll down in the bottom panel to Vproject
5. edit
6. change the string to:

d:\steam\steamapps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike

7. ok, ok, ok

then try again.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion