Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Processor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 20
Posts: 373
Xbox One controller for PC

Will the Xbox One controller work for PC?

Will the Xbox One controller use xinput?

Will Microsoft make a PC version of the Xbox One controller?

Would you like for Microsoft to make an Xbox One controller compatible with the PC? Both USB wired and Wireless

My personal opinion: I would very much like to see the new Xbox One controller come to the PC.
Processor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Nekomancer
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Reputation: 3002
Posts: 16,420
Microsoft hasn't said anything about the XBone controller for PC.

And the PC version of the XBox360 controller is a bad joke, it's the very same controller with a driver disk which you won't need if you have Windows Vista or newer. I bought the cheaper XBox 360 controller without the disk and it works fine.

I'd be interested in an XBone controller, if the reviews are good enough i may buy one.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Semaphia
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 858
Posts: 1,029
Of course I'd like to see it on PC New D-pad looks great!
Semaphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
chairsgotoschoo
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 252
Posts: 2,217
well they probably will have support for it but dont be surprised if its only for win8. then again kinect wont work on pc's so maybe not. of course you can easily mod them with a teensy or something, I hope you can do that to make xbox 360 (or any controller really) work on xbone because its just plain stupid that they don't work.
chairsgotoschoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Processor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 20
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
Microsoft hasn't said anything about the XBone controller for PC.

And the PC version of the XBox360 controller is a bad joke, it's the very same controller with a driver disk which you won't need if you have Windows Vista or newer. I bought the cheaper XBox 360 controller without the disk and it works fine.

I'd be interested in an XBone controller, if the reviews are good enough i may buy one.
The offical Xbox360 controller for PC is not a joke. It virtually works for all PC games that have controller support since 2007 due to Xinput. It's also plug n play. I would like for Microsoft to do something similar with the Xbox One. The PC is lacking on really good controllers that are widely compatible with all games with controller support. Currently, the Xbox 360 controller is the end-all-be-all for PC. If you use any other controller you can run into problems and have to use 3rd party software like xpadder to get it to work.

Granted, I would also like to see the PS4 controller be on PC. Sony should give it a try and see what happens. Why not increase profit where you can?
Processor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Washell
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 7888
Posts: 7,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Processor View Post
The offical Xbox360 controller for PC is not a joke.
You misunderstood him. He never said the controller is bad, he said the retail "360 controller for PC" package is a joke because it contains a regular 360 controller and a 10 cent driver CD sold at a $5 to $10 markup. You can just buy a regular 360 controller and download the drivers yourself. The bad joke is that MS is charging $5 for popping a CD into the package.

@OP:

No one knows yet
No one knows yet
No one knows yet
First bad sign: current 360 headsets won't work with the XBone.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Processor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 20
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
You misunderstood him. He never said the controller is bad, he said the retail "360 controller for PC" package is a joke because it contains a regular 360 controller and a 10 cent driver CD sold at a $5 to $10 markup. You can just buy a regular 360 controller and download the drivers yourself. The bad joke is that MS is charging $5 for popping a CD into the package.

@OP:

No one knows yet
No one knows yet
No one knows yet
First bad sign: current 360 headsets won't work with the XBone.
I never encountered this. I order an official wired PC controller from newegg and it came with no disk or drivers. It was just plug and play.
Processor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
johnno
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Reputation: 84
Posts: 808
You don't need to install anything for it.
johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
ACJCLIGHTNING
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 696
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairsgotoschoo View Post
well they probably will have support for it but dont be surprised if its only for win8. then again kinect wont work on pc's so maybe not. of course you can easily mod them with a teensy or something, I hope you can do that to make xbox 360 (or any controller really) work on xbone because its just plain stupid that they don't work.
kinect does work on PCs. Only notable game to support it that I know of is Gmod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWIlt6TwME

Actually, as far as Im concerned, Only reason to buy a kinect period. only half way decent game to support it(aside from the possible exception of the gunslinger and kinect party, both of which are only good because of their comedic value.
ACJCLIGHTNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
chairsgotoschoo
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 252
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJCLIGHTNING View Post
kinect does work on PCs. Only notable game to support it that I know of is Gmod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWIlt6TwME

Actually, as far as Im concerned, Only reason to buy a kinect period. only half way decent game to support it(aside from the possible exception of the gunslinger and kinect party, both of which are only good because of their comedic value.
the new kinect for the xbone wont work on pc.
chairsgotoschoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
ACJCLIGHTNING
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 696
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairsgotoschoo View Post
the new kinect for the xbone wont work on pc.
ah, ok. that sucks, though I prefer my normal kinect. That new one is ing huge. Trying to take up more space while it spies on me.
ACJCLIGHTNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #12
Washell
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 7888
Posts: 7,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Processor View Post
I never encountered this. I order an official wired PC controller from newegg and it came with no disk or drivers. It was just plug and play.
Could be that with the uptake of Windows 7 in recent years, they decided to stop adding the CD. Three years ago it definitely came with one.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
hahahehe
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 832
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairsgotoschoo View Post
the new kinect for the xbone wont work on pc.
No but MS have confirmed they're doing a PC version of the XBone Kinnect which it itself a good clue, plus of you think about it xinput is a module of DirectX and we already know XBone will use a modified version of DX11. All this leads to an answer of much more than likely XBone controllers will work with Windows.
hahahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #14
UniqueName02
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 2568
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
And the PC version of the XBox360 controller is a bad joke, it's the very same controller with a driver disk which you won't need if you have Windows Vista or newer. I bought the cheaper XBox 360 controller without the disk and it works fine.
For some reason the PC version is cheaper though. I paid £18 rather than £25 which is the normal price for the Xbox version.
UniqueName02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
chairsgotoschoo
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 252
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahahehe View Post
No but MS have confirmed they're doing a PC version of the XBone Kinnect which it itself a good clue, plus of you think about it xinput is a module of DirectX and we already know XBone will use a modified version of DX11. All this leads to an answer of much more than likely XBone controllers will work with Windows.
i guess that is a good sing. why not just have the same for both?
chairsgotoschoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.