Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
Nicepuppies

Downgrade to the june 6th steam update.

For the many people (including myself) that are having issues with the recent releases of Steam, I have found a temporary workaround that we can use until Valve fixes these issues. Luckily I was able to get the June 6, 2013 Steam program files from a recent system backup. I have packaged all of the required files into a legacy .zip file (so that anybody should be able to extract it). Just click on the link below to download the .zip file and make sure that you SAVE IT to your computer.

Now what do you do next after you have downloaded and saved the .zip file? Well first, if you use Steam client betas, you will need to opt out of Steam betas for now in order to use this previous stable release. Instructions on how to opt out of receiving beta releases is here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Betas (look under the Beta removal section). Now we have to delete some of the files and folders in your Steam folder. So go into your Steam folder. You can delete everything EXCEPT these things:

DO NOT DELETE THESE THINGS: config folder, depotcache folder, steamapps folder, userdata folder, ClientRegistry.blob, and the file that starts with ssfn.

Now that you have prepared your Steam folder, you can now open the .zip file with whatever program you use for .zip files. If you need a program for opening and extracting .zip files or archive files in general, 7-Zip is a good and free choice: http://www.7-zip.org. So once you have opened the .zip file, you should be able to see everything that is in it. Now you will want to extract the files into your Steam folder. There is usually an "Extract" button or something similar. Click the "Extract" button and select your Steam folder as the destination where the files will go. Then go from there. If you properly cleaned out your Steam folder as described above, you should not be asked if you want to overwrite an existing file. If you do get asked, then just say Yes.

After the files and folders have been sent to your Steam folder, then you can load Steam like normal (with a shortcut for example). So now hopefully your games should work properly again if they weren't working before with the recent Steam updates.

Now as you probably know, the Steam program checks for updates and automatically downloads updates for the client on its own. I don't currently know of a way to temporarily stop the Steam program from checking for updates and downloading updates for the client. I would suggest keeping the .zip file on your computer so that if by chance, the program updates itself, and you're back to using a faulty version of Steam again, you can clean out your Steam folder as explained above and use the .zip file again to downgrade your Steam program until Valve releases an update that does work properly for you.

Here is the download link for the June 6, 2013 stable release of Steam: http://www.filedropper.com/steamjune62013stablerelease

I really hope that this temporary workaround works for you until Valve fixes the current issues with the Steam program. If the June 6th stable release worked properly for you before, then this temporary workaround should work for you for now

Last edited by Nicepuppies: 07-11-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Nekomancer

Why don't you just do steam.exe -clearbeta ?
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
eRKoo

GOD DAMN !!!! u wanna say me that my reinstalling of OS and TF2 was uselles ?

Is this working ?

EDIT Yes , my friend tried it and YES !!!!! it's working

Last edited by eRKoo: 07-11-2013 at 04:07 AM.
eRKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
seseorang

Not had a major problem.
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
eRKoo

Please help me , when im copying . i getting error

Cannot copy av-codec53 : It is beign used by another program or person .

My steam is disabled
eRKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by seseorang View Post
Not had a major problem.
Same here.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Birizinho

What is the file size? not appear in the list of downloads.
Birizinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
ImprovisE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birizinho View Post
What is the file size? not appear in the list of downloads.
181mb

Last edited by ImprovisE: 07-11-2013 at 09:09 AM.
ImprovisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
TF2 War Monkey

Does this work?
TF2 War Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
TF2 War Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF2 War Monkey View Post
Does this work?
IT WORKED
YES THANKS SO MUCH
TF2 War Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Birizinho

Great, it worked (No thanks to Valve), thanks man, you just saved my vacation.
Birizinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
NoBullet

I swear to god im having the worst luck with steam. I downloaded that file and it stopped. Second time it completed but my browser wont finish so it's still a .part file so I cant open it. I hate you Valve. I hate you so much.
NoBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
NoBullet

I used a download manager and it still wouldnt finish the file. Jesus christ valve at least let us know if youre fixing it or give an ETA. I cant believe EA gets for Origin but at least their updates doesnt break games.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
NoBullet

Can someone upload this to another site like Mega or something? This doesnt download for me. I still hate you Valve.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
Nicepuppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullet View Post
Can someone upload this to another site like Mega or something? This doesnt download for me.
Alternative download links are available in my identical thread on the newer Steam forums. Thanks to ACEp*JCade/Sim7447 #ValCore for providing the links: http://steamcommunity.com/discussion...3123274306380/
Nicepuppies is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips